My finds

J

jgpreston

Been waiting 4 days on this well I'm on, having hole problems. Since I bring my metal detector with me and weather was nice the wooded area behind the the wellsite and the creek bottom was just begging me. It is a moderately brushy area, very little grass and a lot of dried leaves. And these oaks dropped hugh acorns 2" x 2", biggest things I've ever seen. The woods are about 30 yards to the creek bed which is about 12 feet deep and 20 feet wide. Clear blue-green water trickling along. There are two interesting features in the area. One was a faint road in the woods to the creek, probably used at one time to go parking with your date. The other is the remains of a cable suspension walk bridge that's collapsed into the creek. Using my Prizm IV, I worked my way to the suspension bridge but found nothing. Then down in the creek bottom up stream searching the drier parts, then back past where the bridge would have hung. Didn't find anything but a few bits of trash. Climbed back up and eyeballed that faint road and finally got a quarter signal. I said to myself, "Really?" Sure enough on the surface under the leaves was a 1997 quarter. Checking again within inches were three cad pennies. That felt pretty good even if they were cad. Continuing down that lane about three feet was another quarter buried about an inch. That was all the money I found. But working the woods themselves I found three different caliber cartridges, a Buck knife that would still open and the wood is still on the outside but saturated, a saddle cinch(?) it's 3" round with a straight piece that goes into a hole in a strap, a stainless steel 6" x 6" baking pan, and a 4 tined garden tool a broken handle. Of course there is the trash thats been dumped here and there that provides interesting rumaging also. No way to get pics on-line from here. I sure enjoy reading all your posts and wanted to share, too. HH! John

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an interesting site! Can you get aerial pictures of the area or try a google earth, the pics might show something, foundations, paths. Why were people crossing that bridge? I know, to get to the other side, LOL, but what is on the other side? HH, Mike

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Give it another try jg..if people are losing there quarter's now,who know's what was lost in the past.Good luck and HH!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go Back and find taht old coin...Sound like a good site and alog creek beds are always nice places to hunt...........Seeker

OP
OP
J

jgpreston

Thanks guys for the encouragement. Didn't get out today. Had to sleep because I work nights and we picked up drilling tools this afternoon.

Ilove,civilman & Seeker: Will detect the creekbed more throughly along with that bridge crossing. If time allows I'll check the other side of the creek too.

Bavaria Mike: Googling earth is something new to me; I'll check that out. I won't have access to this site once the well is done, about 10 days, so aerial pics are out but that is a great idea.
The highway with a bridge crosses the creek about 50 yards from the suspension bridge remnants and the latter doesn't appear to be more than 60 years old. The other side looks quite like this side. Maybe the highway wasn't there at the time.

Thanks for the comments and HH all.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like some neat finds!

And even if you didn't quite find what you were looking for jg...I bet just being there was good!

;)

OP
OP
J

jgpreston

Thanks guys. This well is between Weatherford and Ft. Worth, a big gas play going on, probably next 5-10 years.

And Nana, I do love this hobby and being out. Oh, an aside, my wife chose Nana for name the grandboys were to call her. HH :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions