Chinese Cash coin and Chinese large cent...?

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys I just recieved permission to hunt a very old house dates back to early 1700's and I have full reign of the property after hours of talking to the very skiddish owner. She has lived in this house for more than 60 yeays and knows all of its history. To make a long story short I hunted for about 30 mins then talked to her for an hour and a half. I found 2 coins right off the bat, got excited though they were large cents but saw chinese writing. One I believe is a Cash coin the other has a wreath on the back like a large cent and the only english letters I see are "SEN" ANy info would be appreciated! Can't wait to get back there! :headbang:
chinese4.jpg

chinese3.jpg

chinese2.jpg

chinese1.jpg

Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!!! But, those aren't Chinese coins.....they are both Japanese coins.
The holed coin dates back prior to 1900's.....you will have to talk to someone who is an expert on Japanese holed coins
to be able to put an exact date on it. But, it is a nice coin, and a real nice find.
The other is a 1 sen coin.....and boy, it is buggered up. Absolutely no value, unless you lucked out and got one of the
very rare 1 sen coins. I have books that tell me which years are the rare years, but not available at the present.
Where the dickens are you hunting, to find Japanese coins? YOu might share that with the owner, and see if she knows
of some Japanese connection.......maybe someone in her family took a trip to Japan.....or had a Japanese visitor.......or who
knows. Sorry about the limited info. I will try to find my Japanese books and tell you about the holed coin. That is one
nice find. :thumbsup:

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Possible some soldier who brought it back with him after ww2.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heading off to work, so I don't have time to look it up, but I think it's an 1876 Sen coin, Japanese.
Carl

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
Nice finds!!! But, those aren't Chinese coins.....they are both Japanese coins.
The holed coin dates back prior to 1900's.....you will have to talk to someone who is an expert on Japanese holed coins
to be able to put an exact date on it. But, it is a nice coin, and a real nice find.
The other is a 1 sen coin.....and boy, it is buggered up. Absolutely no value, unless you lucked out and got one of the
very rare 1 sen coins. I have books that tell me which years are the rare years, but not available at the present.
Where the dickens are you hunting, to find Japanese coins? YOu might share that with the owner, and see if she knows
of some Japanese connection.......maybe someone in her family took a trip to Japan.....or had a Japanese visitor.......or who
knows. Sorry about the limited info. I will try to find my Japanese books and tell you about the holed coin. That is one
nice find. :thumbsup:
The expert has spoken!Thanks Hike :thumbsup:

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks alot guys.Thanks a lot Hike for the info! Good to know. Can't wait to get back their and find some US coinage. :headbang:

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

Ya I knew when I seen the dragon thats a Japanese coin. If they were found in the same area do a bit more research on it and see why they could have been there as well, past owners of the property might be something to look into as well.

Crackbadger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread