Not a "Todays Find" but I wanted to share. I represented us Friday at college.

tpmrcp

Dec 31, 2006
East Stroudsburg, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a "Todays Find" but I wanted to share. I represented us Friday at college.

For those who don't know me, I am 33 and an Army veteran who got out recently and started college a few yrs ago. I earned my Associate's degree last Spring and I will graduate with my Bachelor's degree next Fall. I am in a speech communication class with all 18 and 19 year olds. Our most recent assignment was to write a persuasive speech. My topic was metal detecting. I brought in a shoe box full of things I have found and the class really was into it. One kid said that he collects wheat pennies so I gave him one of my still dirty wheaties straight from the ground. He thought that was the coolest thing ever! Well I received an A on the speech, and here is a copy of what I wrote and read, I hope I represented us well:

Treasure! There is treasure everywhere! Rings, Coins, Relics, GOLD!!

In the summer of 1986, before most of you in the audience were even born, I received a gift that I spent countless hours using, a metal detector. From 1986 to 1988 I would go on trips with the metal detecting club. I was the only kid. Once I became a teenager I forgot about the hobby and I did not start back up again until 3 years ago. This is such an amazing hobby, so convincing you all to feel the same way should come easy.

Metal detecting is one of the only hobbies I know that you make money each time you do it. Every year there are thousands of dollars in change lost in the US on beaches, in parks, playgrounds and ski resorts. Jewelry, especially rings can be found there as well. Just 3 weeks ago at Camelback Mountain Resort, a woman lost 2 rings and had reward of $1000 for anyone who finds it. My friend broke out his detector and found one of the rings, the bigger one and refused the reward. People who metal detect follow a code of ethics and love returning lost or stolen items. Championship rings filled with diamonds have been found in many beaches here in the US and they can be worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Quarters and dimes that were minted before 1965 contain silver. Silver gold and platinum prices are the highest they have ever been and they are going to continue to rise as the need for precious metals increase. These coins are worth at least 10 times their face value, some more because most have been melted down or hoarded in collections.
Metal detecting can put you and history together. Digging up civil war relics, bullets, belt buckles and guns puts you right in the action of over 150 years prior. You would be standing where bullets were flying, men fighting each other until one side dies or retreats. If you were in Europe, you would be digging up items from thousands of years ago, when almost everything was different in the world.

Another great aspect of metal detecting is the fact that it gets people outdoors and believe it or not, the continual motions of bending, digging, chopping and prodding can burn some serious calories. The sun exposure does wonders to people’s health. I am sure you all have seen plenty of us scurrying along the beach in the early morning. Ok most of you were still asleep when these guys hit the sand, but you might have seen one leave the beach just as you are arriving. This activity can add to the quality of life for many people who have retired. If you want to compete with these folks for treasure on the beach, you better get there before the sun rises, if you don’t, then they will have combed the entire length of the beach before you wake up. They are good.

Metal detecting is one thing that you can do with a group, or you can do by yourself. There are clubs you can join and hunts are coordinated at places like old ghost towns or rail road stops. There are online communities like Treasurenet.com full of the nicest people eager to cheer you on and give you advice. You can make plenty of friends doing this.

The main reason that I started up again was because I needed something positive to do to keep my mind busy when I wasn’t doing school work or working. I love doing a little research, then packing a lunch, grabbing my metal detector, and driving off for an adventure, not knowing what I may find.

It is good therapy, especially for veterans like me with PTSD. My mind concentrates on what the detector is doing, and hours just fly by. I don’t think about anything bad, like friends dying, things blowing up, or what or who is trying to kill me. Metal detecting helps me to trust the world around me and explore it, not to be scared of it and stay indoors.

For as little more than $200, you can buy a quality metal detector like the Garrett Ace 250 and start exploring your world, looking for treasure of all sorts. It is a great way to escape the real world for a little while and rescue buried coins that could have been lost forever.

Attachments

• grad1.jpg
    grad1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 462
  • army1.jpg
    army1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 435
  • grad1.jpg
    grad1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 445
  • metal detecting.jpg
    metal detecting.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 450
Upvote 0

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
Re: Not a "Todays Find" but I wanted to share. I represented us Friday at college.

You convinced me, Im going metal detecting, TOMMOROW :hello2: !!

Great speech, btw, next time you goto the beach let me know ;D

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Not a "Todays Find" but I wanted to share. I represented us Friday at college.

That is a great story!!! Very well written. Good luck and Happy Hunting!! Chug.
Just had to mention the great finds Pic 3

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Excellent speech. You may have encouraged some new detectorists. Congrats on the "A". HH.

Ed

Shadowman64

Jan 18, 2010
Black Hills
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I am retired Air Force and recently got back into the hobby. Great Speech and get that degree! ;D

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009

:hello2: :hello2: :icon_thumleft:

Job Well Done !!!!!! Outstanding !!!!

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

congrats on the A!! and great speech, and thank you for your service!!!

fellow Army brother
11B
88-93

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread