Old Mill Site Gives Up A G.A.R. Badge

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Another Iron Brigade outing with Buckleboy and RodeoRecon this weekend. I got permission to hunt an old mill site. It was way down in the valley on the creek bank. The site wasn't on a map, I just had some info from the land owner as to the whereabouts. It's down there and to the left about a mile or so. Well, we got down to the creek and headed up stream. As we headed up the creek (without a paddle), we noticed a rock wall on the hillside. It was a retaining wall for the old road that led to the mill site. After walking across the creek a couple of times and getting our feet wet, we happened upon this little spot.
1.JPG
This looked like a perfect spot for the 4x6 coil due to the brush, and the amount of iron.
2.JPG
Immediately we started digging some keepers. I got a harmonica reed, a spoon bowl, a couple of rings (one brass wedding band, and a small thin ring with "friendship" on it), and a nice domed button with a design that I'm still trying to clean up to see it.
5.JPG
6.JPG
We had to wrap it up early due to a prior engagement I had to attend. As we were gathering up our stuff, I got a few final swings in. I got a solid big copper signal. I looked at Buckleboy and said "Thats the best signal I've had all day." He said "Well, dig it up!" I'm glad I did. ;D
badge dirty.JPG
It was a G.A.R. badge! The worst part of the day, was the hike back through the creek, and up the hill. Rodeo Recon found a deer skull with a nice set of antlers. You can see it strapped to his back pack.
hike.JPG
Here's a picture of the find of the day after cleaning it up.
7.JPG
8.JPG

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!! :hello:
Cm2db

Upvote 0

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats, nice badge!!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice badge!!!! and a neat looking mason jar seal.... MR TUFF

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Nice badge, looks to be in super shape. I have heard that these were made from melted confederate cannons. Also hear tell that they often have ID numbers on them. Look closely and see if you can find anything like that. Great find.
Narthoniel

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Never seen one of those before. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
coinmaster2db

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Mr Tuff said:
Thanks Mr Tuff. Yeah, I've never seen that seal before. I've dug hundreds of plain ones though. >:(
HH!!
Narthoniel said:
Nice badge, looks to be in super shape. I have heard that these were made from melted confederate cannons. Also hear tell that they often have ID numbers on them. Look closely and see if you can find anything like that. Great find.
Narthoniel
Thanks for the info Narthoniel. Mine is numbered. It's on the edge. Now if I can find a database of GAR members. HH!!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
coinmaster2db said:
Mr Tuff said:
Thanks Mr Tuff. Yeah, I've never seen that seal before. I've dug hundreds of plain ones though. >:(
HH!!
Narthoniel said:
Narthoniel
Thanks for the info Narthoniel. Mine is numbered. It's on the edge. Now if I can find a database of GAR members. HH!!

That sounds about right. From what I was told the seriel number was on the edge. Now just dig up some info and you will know the identity of the damn yankee that it was given to, and perhaps an idea of who lived in/visited that site and when.
Narthoniel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions