~Old Homestead Yields 1855 Seated Half Dime~

Digger62918

Sep 28, 2009
Carterville, IL.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-70 Pro , Fisher CZ-20 , Minelab Explorer SE
Went out yesterday driving around trying to find a site to detect. After driving the back roads for awhile I spotted an old well out in a field and could see lots of brick crumbles surrounding the well. I stopped and got permission with no problem and fired up the detector. I was detecting for less than 3 minutes when I got my first solid signal. My hands started shaking when I saw a small silver disc pop out of the hole. :o Even though the coin was covered in dirt I knew almost immediately that it was a half dime due to it small size. This would make only the second half dime I have found in 13 years of metal detecting, needless to say I was Pumped! :headbang: I continued to hunt the area very carefully however no other coins were found. I did find what appears to be a very old pocket knife, I would guess its age to be in the late 1800's. Once I got back to the car I poured some water on the half dime and could see that it was a 1855 O in Awesome shape.

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 665
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 664
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 659
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 660
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 663
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 650
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 649
Upvote 0

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! Way to go. I have never found one, but trust me it is high on a lot of guy's wish list. I love the driving around and looking for a site part of your story too. Sometimes it is great to get out for a while. You would probably had a good time even if you hadn't found a place to hunt.

HH, Don

girardpaguy

Dec 11, 2008
Girard Pa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII / Cen Tec Pinpointer
That is a great looking find. Very nice condition.
It is on my list.

HH

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
OH YEAH ~ that's a good looking little treasure there man! VERY EXCITING FIND! Congrat's!

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
That is an awsome half dime!!! great shape ,, kind of weird that there was no more coins ,,, that old knife is really cool and very old for sure!!

great pictures !!!

arthur

OP
OP
Digger62918

Digger62918

Sep 28, 2009
Carterville, IL.
Detector(s) used
artzstuff1 said:
That is an awsome half dime!!! great shape ,, kind of weird that there was no more coins ,,, that old knife is really cool and very old for sure!!

great pictures !!!

arthur
Thanks Art. There has to be more coins at the site, it was just really hard to detect right now since it was in a corn field. Corn stalks kept getting in my way with every swing >:( Once the field is disc up it will be much easier detecting.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice halfdime

HH Jer

OP
OP
Digger62918

Digger62918

Sep 28, 2009
Carterville, IL.
Detector(s) used
kilmer said:
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! Way to go. I have never found one, but trust me it is high on a lot of guy's wish list. I love the driving around and looking for a site part of your story too. Sometimes it is great to get out for a while. You would probably had a good time even if you hadn't found a place to hunt.

HH, Don
Thanks Don, I feel pretty lucky to have found two of these over the years. The first one I found was a cap bust half dime and now this a seated with arrows makes two different varieties of half dimes.

F

Felinepeachy

Wooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :hello2: :wav: That's what I'm talking about! WTG!!! :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW I could only dream of finding one of those, BIGTIME CONGRATS!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find !! :icon_thumleft: that is in great shape and not easy to find Good Hunt Dd60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions