A bad day bottle digging

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bad day bottle digging yesterday (4/12) ........ landed me in the Emergency Room for just over 4 hours......... I did manage a few cool bottles and other items before the accident...... It was the base of one of those old square gin bottles with two sides partly remaining that formed a nice sharp spike. It's a deep cut / puncture right to the bone, but it missed the nerves, tendons etc....... I guess the broken bottle dug me first :-[ right through my work boot and into my foot.........one tetanus shot, a script for antibiotic and six stitches late.... here I sit.......planning my revenge on the old bottle dump.... ???, but all is well and I'll live to dig another day, after a few days of recouping time that is........ Just remember to be careful out there everyone.
Anyway here are some pictures (don't worry not of my cut... lol) A nice little advertising piece and a neat older bottle (1930's)

Psgen

Attachments

• IMG_1887rev.jpg
    IMG_1887rev.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 684
  • IMG_1888rev.jpg
    IMG_1888rev.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 684
Upvote 0

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
psgen,

Sounds like a nasty cut but could have been worse.Glad you survived.That is a nice bottle , though.

mnixon

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have been a victim of the ol' bottle dump-TWICE! Nearly broke my leg twice by cave-in. Didn't go to emergency room either time, but I should have done so after that first one...still think there's some leg bones that were dented and misaligned a bit from that accident. The second accident was when I was standinhg at edge of bottle pit and the dirt cavedout from under my leg-a little group of roots became a snare for my leg as I shot down through the dirt and it hurt like H*LL when my leg got through falling in those roots...felt like a GIANT wire stripper went SCRAPING up my leg- And I won't promise anyone that I was a good boy and didn't let out a few expletives when the wrenching was done. BOTTLE DIGGING CAN BE DANGEROUS! But I'd go BD'ING again because you just never know what can be found in a bottle dump or pit.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your foot one of the hazards of finding a beautiful bottle its awesome :thumbsup: the best boots around i feel is my old pair of jungle boots not the ones i got over in Nam but a pair i got 10 years ago just about nothing can penetrate them well at least glass full steel shank and toe the sides are like chain nail Army Navy surplus store 40.00 bucks . Good hunt Dd60

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Some cool stuff. You have to be careful. I cut my right index finger on a piece of glass in the side of a hole. It cut into the tendons. I went to the ER and they sewed it up. It kept hurting and stayed swollen so about a week later I went to the ER closer to home. The cut had gotten infected and eaten the cartilage in the joint and started eating the bone. They had to remove what was left of the joint. They took cultures but couldn't figure out if is was something on the the glass that caused the infection or not.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
psgen, the only time I ever went to the emergency room in my life was because of a bad day at the dump. Stumbled into the pit and got 14 stitches in the knee. Same as you, missed nerves and tendons, but the wound was squirtin' a bit. Get well soon!

OP
OP
psgen

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
the wound was squirtin' a bit.

Yes, this was squirtin' a bit as well or oozing is a better term........boot was so saturated with blood by the time I got to the ER.........I just threw the darn things out, besides it now has a hole in it as well ;D

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Whoa :o !!!!!!!!! Sounds like the bottle gods demanded a blood sacrifice to ensure bottle diggin success ouch :-\ I'mconfident now that they are appeased you will find some righteous loot. :icon_thumleft:

Ace Villa-v

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread