Montana metal detecting

MT DFX

Greenie
Jun 15, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelabs E-Trac
The ground up here in NW Montana thawed early this year and I have been able to start detecting earlier than normal. I have put together this long post to first talk about my finds from the last month, but also to describe metal detecting in this somewhat remote part of the US. Many of the more interesting post I have read in this and other forums have not only showed me interesting finds, but also described the unique aspects of our hobby in different areas. For example, I have been captivated by stories about hunting along the beaches of Florida and California, and the thrill it is to hunt areas in New England where Revolutionary War relics and 300 year old home sites exist, or about finding and exploring Civil War site across the South, or about searching ghost towns and gold sites in the desert southwest. Learning about out these different aspects of this hobby is one of the great things about reading forums.
Any way, NW Montana has its own unique metal detecting character. One of the first things people think about when they think of Montana is cold and snow, but that is far from unique across the northern tier states. What is more unique is the vast empty spaces up here. The state is the fourth largest in terms of territory, but has less than a million people scattered across it. The whole state only has one telephone area code and only sends one member of congress to Washington.
Briefly, Lewis and Clark were almost the first white folks to explore the state in 1804. Gold was discovered in the 1860’s and that brought the first significant settlements. The next “big” influx came when the Great Northern railroad pushed through the state in the 1880’s. Much of the state still relies on ranching, farming, logging and mining for its existence. As a result there have been many booms and busts leaving many abandoned homes, towns and regions.
My first outing this year was to try to get back into a ghost town I had discovered last year. It is a thirty mile drive out dirt roads that are seldom driven, especially early in the spring because of snowpack in the passes. Below are a few pictures I took during my last visit. The history of the place is that it opened in around 1909 and closed for the last time (I thought) in 1965.
IMGP3282.jpg

IMGP3285.jpg

IMGP3288.jpg

IMGP3291.jpg

IMGP3295.jpg

IMGP3297.jpg

IMGP3302.jpg

IMGP3304.jpg

IMGP3305.jpg

IMGP3310.jpg

One of the unique things about detecting here is that when you are in the mountains thirty miles from the closest paved road you are not at the top of the food chain. Montana is the only place in the continental US where grizzly bears are expanding their territory, one of the few places where wolves have been reintroduced (there are several packs in this part of the state), and where mountain lions are numerous (they hunt by ambush and hit their prey running at full speed to try to break its neck). This is all a consideration when you are planning to be alone in the wilderness wandering around wearing earphones. The pouch belt I wore was somewhat different than most in the rest of the country (see picture below).

IMGP1559.jpg

Unfortunately, when I got close to the area there were several new “No Trespassing” signs on the road, so it looks like it may be getting reactivated. I of course respected the signs and drove the thirty miles back out. I have another mine site I have not yet found that I will be trying for in the next month or so.

So far this year most of the rest of my detecting, and all of my keepers have come from the old downtown section of my town that was established around 1890. I have posted pictures of most of my keepers below.

IMGP1574.jpg

IMGP1583.jpg

IMGP1591.jpg

IMGP1596.jpg

IMGP1621.jpg

IMGP1628.jpg

IMGP1635.jpg

IMGP1646.jpg

IMGP1652.jpg

IMGP1663.jpg

I hope this was as interesting to you as reading other posts has been to me. This hobby is so diverse that almost everyone has a unique story to tell about it. Happy hunting.

Upvote 0

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story. Good Luck in your hunts, and WELCOME to T-Net. "The Hogge" :hello: Bummer about driving all that way.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Nice finds. Looks like Montana is a good place to hunt. I've seen some good finds from there on T-Net. :thumbsup:

Your pictures are great, maybe a little big :D , but clear as a picture. :D

What camera are you using? I'm in the market for a new one. Those are some of the best pics I've seen. :)

Good Luck
Randy

OP
OP
M

MT DFX

Greenie
Jun 15, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelabs E-Trac
RPG,
Sorry about the size of the photos. I should have copied them as smaller files.

I use an older Pentax Optio WP. It is water proof and a great outdoor camera. I shoot the coins at only 2MP (macro focus) and the landscapes at 5MP. I use Photoshop Elements to do the mods. The trick to using this camera for the coin shots is to get enough light and a steady enough stand. I use a small tripod and lots of light aimed at an angle to the face of the coin, with some white cardboard to put across from the light source to eliminate as many shadows as possible. I then take several shots of each coin, spining it to change its orientation to the light source and pick the best one to modify and keep.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
MT DFX said:
RPG,
Sorry about the size of the photos. I should have copied them as smaller files.

I use an older Pentax Optio WP. It is water proof and a great outdoor camera. I shoot the coins at only 2MP (macro focus) and the landscapes at 5MP. I use Photoshop Elements to do the mods. The trick to using this camera for the coin shots is to get enough light and a steady enough stand. I use a small tripod and lots of light aimed at an angle to the face of the coin, with some white cardboard to put across from the light source to eliminate as many shadows as possible. I then take several shots of each coin, spining it to change its orientation to the light source and pick the best one to modify and keep.

Don't worry about the size. Those are great pics. Especially for 2mp. Steady is the key word here, as well as the set up. Never thought about the white cardboard to eliminate shadows. Thanks for the tips. :)

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!
I am also in NW Montana Libby/Troy/Yaak area.
Lots of good detecting sites in this area if you like ghost towns and mining camps.
Nice to see a fellow Montanan here :)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed the post and pictures! Too bad you couldn't detect it. Those old outhouses would also be cool to dig out. HH, Mike

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Treasure State" and "Big Sky Country beautiful state Good finds i like that token those silvers look great nice find and pics :thumbsup: Dd60

jtshombre

Jun 23, 2007
Montana Prairie
Detector(s) used
White's M-6
I'm about as far across the state as you can get. Our winter was relatively mild also, and I've been able to get out earlier than expected. Finding spots is tough in our little town, but I've got permission for 4 houses and old church so far. I've got 4 silver finds for the year, a sterling silver ID bracelet found at on an old baseball field, 2 Rosies, and a no date SLQ, so I'm happy. Hope to get out after work tonight for a few hours, it's really warming up here.

Best of luck to my fellow Montanans, :icon_thumright:, let's keep 'em swinging and the dirt turning, take care...

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right. Being introduced to so many different types of detecting, and the finds from each area, is an education in itself.
I really liked your pictures. I live in S. Korea, but home is Eastern Oregon, and your pictures could have been from there.
Same evergreen trees, same old wooden construction. And, many of the same finds.
Good post. Looking forward to hearing from you, as you seek out the old abandoned towns/settlements.
(Have you looked for any of the early 1800 meeting places of the trappers/mountain men/indians? Rendevous, I believe they called them. If you could do some
research, and then locate the site, it should produce many, many good finds. And I think that I have read that some of those
meeting places were held in Montana, along some of the larger rivers.)
Good hunting. :thumbsup:

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I love your pictures they are beautiful! I am stuck down here in Texas and I only get to the mountain once a year I miss them so... Welcome to T-Net and Happy Hunting!

Chukers

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow nice finds!!!! i would be all over a plce like that :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds congrats.

Top Member Reactions