USMC Dog Tag

aloysius

Nov 28, 2004
Hi all,
The dog tag was not a recent find but one made a couple of years ago at St Clair beach in Otago, New Zealand. (I was just reading one of the stories about a tag, which prompted me to write.) Somewhere in the house I'm sure I still have it, but I'm buggered if I can put my hands on it at the moment! Anyhow, when I do find it, what is the best way to return it? Quite a while ago I looked up websites for the USMC and emailed one that I thought would be appropriate, but got no reply, not even a suggestion as to where to go. Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Rick.

Upvote 0

twd22

Jun 5, 2008
I did a Google search under US Marine service numbers. Under Wikipedia, they listed when the service numbers were issued. 1,000,000-1,699,999 were issued for USMC enlisted 1943-1953. The shape of the dog tag means nothing if the individual stayed in the Corps, as you could be issued a new one at anytime. As for having the full name, all mine has on it is last name, first and middle initials, service number, branch of service, blood type, and religious affiliation. Hope this helps. Thanks, Tom

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi Steve, thanks for that info on the tags! But the notch, that was there to be place between the two front teeth of the deceased member. That is why 2 dog tags are always issued. One, if I'm not mistaken, goes with his personal effects and the second one, as mentioned above. But that helps narrow it down for research and I can kinda' base his age, saying he may have been born between 1936-1946 (on average...he could have been older, or could have been a bit younger, but not too much if Vietnam era. I entered in '74, but the war was ending. So, I will continue to do some newspaper searching and ancestry searching and see what I can come up with.

Now Rick...whew...been awhile since I've been on the phone this much...LOL! Ok...the recruiting office called back, he punched in the numbers, nothing! :( He can only access for current active members, but it was worth a shot. He gave me the number to the Marine Hdqtrs in Wash, DC. Well, I explained to them about you finding the tags and where, etc. That you wished to return them to either the servicemember or next of kin. She comes back with, "According the policy, any military items found must be returned." She gave me an address. She was NOT mean or nasty, just reading what it said, but I don't really think she understand fully what I was trying to do...so I just said Thank You and that was that. And there would be no way you would ever know if they were ever returned. The luck I have, I would send them in and they would get locked up in a box in the attic and forgotton about and I don't want to see that happen! Then I called the Marine Corp Museum, and the lady there said that there was no way of finding that info out as they do not have access to any records. (I was recommended to call them, because of their historical archives.)

Well, then I decided, let me call the National Archives. That man was so very helpful!!! I love those guys up there! :)

Anyways...here is their website: www.archives.gov

Now, what you can do, go to the website, let me get you a direct link: http://www.archives.gov/foia/foia-guide.html (this one has the address you can send it to) OR http://www.archives.gov/foia/ (this one you can send it electronically)

On the right side of the page, you can submit electronically, a F.O.I.A. request. He said that would be the best way for you to do it. Provide a copy of the photo of the tags if you submit it in writing. I don't know if you can include it electronically. Provide all the info off of the dog tag and where they were found, cause if he was on a ship, they could trace him that way.

When you get any info back, preferably a FULL FIRST NAME! ;) .. let me know, I can continue searching. The man said this request will give you info as to when he enlisted, where he was at, rank...etc. From there research can be done to find either him or next of kin. I would like to hope that if this is Vietnam Era, then he would still be alive.

In the meantime, I am going to go forth and continue searching. I'll let you know what I can find. I hope you do the FOIA Request! And if you don't want to do it...let me know...I'd be happy to do it for you. I can take about 7-10 days on average to receive a response!

Well, let me see what I can find out....oh, and as someone said, it may have been that he was on liberty (R&R) or attached to a Naval Ship and they did a port visit in New Zealand.

Talk with you soon..
Annmarie
PS: I love doing this kind of stuff!

PSS...oh for those who do genealogy and trying to get military information on a next of kin, if the service record is OVER 62 years old, it is public domain and anyone can request the FULL MILITARY RECORD (but there is a fee! They will let you know prior to sending it to you.)

Also, military records from 1912-1960 are virtually all destroyed due to a fire in 1973 of the Archives! But if you have bits and pieces of info, still send in a request, he said they may be able to piece something together! So, I'll do that for my grandfather who served in WWI (1916-1918!)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
twd22 said:
I did a Google search under US Marine service numbers. Under Wikipedia, they listed when the service numbers were issued. 1,000,000-1,699,999 were issued for USMC enlisted 1943-1953. The shape of the dog tag means nothing if the individual stayed in the Corps, as you could be issued a new one at anytime. As for having the full name, all mine has on it is last name, first and middle initials, service number, branch of service, blood type, and religious affiliation. Hope this helps. Thanks, Tom

Thanks Tom....I had the dates narrowed down pretty good in my previous post of when to research, but you have given me more precise dates! Thank You!

Mine just have my last name, full first and middle initial, blood type, religion and SSN! I went in the Navy in '74 :)

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ALOYSIUS: comparing the service number with mine, I will say Korean war era. In 1958, we didn't use the gas mask designation but did use blood type. Kenley

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm not having much luck with "J. Lewis" ... there are so many! A first name would be so awesome right now.

Do you plan to send in a request? If not, I would be happy to do it. I just don't want to do anything without your permission, as this is your item you found.

I'll continue to search, I might get lucky! ;)
Annmarie

OP
OP
A

aloysius

Nov 28, 2004
Hi,
I was going to send in a request, but if you wish to, that would be great! Please, fire ahead.

Thank you very very much!

Cheers,
Rick.

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions