Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 Connecticut Coppers, 2 KGIII Halfpence, 1794 &1825 Large Cent, Flying Eagle

Last couple hunts have been an experience for me with a back problem making detecting a very tasking hobby, but I prevailed thru the weekend at least and got rewarded for my efforts with a great hunt on Saturday.

First, last week I got out for a short hunt and checked out the 1793 Cent site again, with just a couple more buttons being found, so as I was hiking back to the truck I spotted a dumpy area that seemed like it was a old road rather than a more modern logging road. I checked it out real quick and got rewarded with a stray dropped KGIII Halfpenny, not in the best of shape, but it is a keeper. :icon_thumright:
1770-75KGIIIHalfpennySite2492.jpg

On Thursday this week I went back to that area to make sure it was or was not a homestead there, (there was not) so one the way back I stopped at one of my sites that was very giving last year and it gave up another nice button and a 1825 Large Cent, now the 1825 was appreciated more than usual by me since it filled a hole, I never found that year for some reason.
1825LargeCentSite233.jpg

So that brings us to yesterday, I was looking forward to getting a hunt in with my son, only our second hunt together this year and I took my pain pills and was determined to get at least one more hunt in for the month or so. With the back aching, I said I did not want to do a lot of walking so we did have a site that my son found back in December that he did great at on his first hunt, think it was 4 coins or so and we did hit it together for our first hunt of the year in late January before the snows came. So, we went there, since the chances of finding a Colonial Copper were great there, becuase we both found a KGIII there previously.

As soon as we reached the area, I got a hunk of metal similar to a trigger guard, but not sure really what it is, so maybe someone can chime in.
unk.jpg

Shortly thereafter, I got a nice coin signal, called my son over, he listened to the signal before I dug and of course snapped a photo of dear ole dad and again of the recovery.
COIN.jpg
Yes, it was a copper, and a nice one two, sure looked liked a colonial, even dirty (It was)
coinfound.jpg
Well, right after that recovery and only two feet away I got a funky reading and out pops a fatty copper, was not sure if a fat IH or a Flying Eagle cent, but after cleaning, Flying Eagle won out! :icon_thumright:
1858FlyingEagleSite248B2.jpg
My son said I was finding stuff a bit uphill from the main site but it was very close to where he found a fattie IH on his first trip there in December. No sooner than he got back to where he was swinging I got another coin reading.
Another copper which was now #3, shortly thereafter that I got my fourth copper and now my son was getting anxious and of course I wanted him badly to find the next coin, but no, about a half hour of brush beating later, I got copper number 5 for the day.
So here are my 4 Large Coppers found yesterday
1787M33.2-Z.5Site248B2.jpg
1787M33.8-Z.13Site248B2.jpg
1788M12.1-ESite248B2.jpg
177-KGIIIHalfpennySite248B2.jpg

We were getting close to quiting and thank goodness I finally heard the yell I was waiting for from my son, "COIN" so I rushed over to where he was detecting and watched him recover his one and only copper for the day, but it was a bonus coin, a fat copper with a lettered edge! After cleaning it was a Liberty Cap and the date was nowhere easily seen but I attributed the variety and it is a 1794 Sheldon 59 , so my son was happy with his "consolation copper" ( I would have been also) We have had many hunts like this over the years where one makes a killing and the other is snakebit, so we were glad that at least both of us got some coins today.
1794Sheldon59Site249Bdancoin.jpg

I forgot to mention, right after I found the 3rd copper, I spotted the beautiful half a antler rack of a deer that not to long ago shedded the antler, so I ended up carrying that around for about two hours, too big to fit into the storage pockets on my fishing vest. :D
April17thSite249Bfinds.jpg
Also, something that has never happened on an old site like that, neither of us got a button today, my son did get some broken pewter spoon parts but the relics were not be found that day.

Overall a great week for me hunting wise and a rotten one back wise, but I will get out again hopefully sooner than later.

Don

Upvote 0

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 3 Connecticut Coppers, 2 KGIII Halfpence, 1794 &1825 Large Cent, Flying Eagle

Bartman said:
Awesome as always Don! Anything in particular you look for when walking through the woods to identify an old homesite. Lack of undergrowth and flowers (can't remember the name) are what I usually go for. Any other clues that you use?

The lack of undergrowth or a "change" in how it looks in a certain area is a big indicator, also the proximately to water, the lay of the land (crest of hill, big turn in an old road and the age of the old roads nearby.

Don

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 3 Connecticut Coppers, 2 KGIII Halfpence, 1794 &1825 Large Cent, Flying Eagle

3 in one day ...................i found one 2 weeks ago and felt great . you must be on cloud 9 ...great finds

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

You guys put a hurting on the SJ soil, Don! The thicky Liberty Cap is my favorite copper!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Don, you are the King Of Coppers! I am amazed at how you are consistently finding early coins in great shape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread