Speaking of the worst day -How bout first day-12" hole -w/hole pic now!!

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee
Speaking of the worst day -How bout first day-12" hole -w/hole pic now!!

Just got my new Minelab Quattro Mp on Thursday. I read the manual, charged the batteries. Rained on Fri, snowed today but got it out anyway.First sweep showed a coin fairly deep, checked it several times ( even with old detector that did not pick it up ). Tried other areas, but came back to the first spot. Decided to dig in my front yard, 10 feet from porch. I started digging with the digger that came with the detector ( like trying to spit into the wind, you know what I mean ). Anyway, I get the artilary out and dig a 1 Ft sq hole by 1 Ft deep. Finally I find the target, a 1976 Lincoln penny, but it was a coin and it was 12" deep, no BS.I think. Instead of disapointment, ah the possibilities!

Smartin
PS: added this pic, I'm sure all have seen this before! the digger is alittle over 12" not a great pic, hope to post some soon that are of actual substance.

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 363
  • hole2.jpg
    hole2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Smartin

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee
Re: Speaking of the worst day -How bout first day-12" hole -

Monty,
The Quattro indicated coin and near the bottom of the scale for depth. The depth is why I dug. I didn't think anything that new would be that deep! Its puzzling how things get where they are after only a few years. I suppose the penny could have been there since 1976 (30 years). Also found a shoe eyelet about 6-7". Think it read coin or ring at 36 vdi.I'm discovering that even 1 point deference is substantial. The eyelet is alum.and about 3/8" dia. (very small)

Smartin

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Speaking of the worst day -How bout first day-12" hole -w/hole pic now!!

Only one of my detectors has a VDI meter. It bounces around so much I can't tell exactly what the reading is. For instance it may bounce from 36 to 45, back down to 33, up again to 40, etc., doesn't settle down to get an exact reading. On your detector does it pretty much settle on a number and stay there? I've wondered about this for some time and just never thought to ask anyone. Monty

R

rvbvetter

You sure that's not the meteor crater in arizona?

The only beef I have with the Minelab is the pin pointing. For me at the beginning, to recover the target, it seemed that the only way was to pin point it and then dig everything in a 3 foot circle. But after a while you get accustomed to it. I'm now down to a 2 1/2 foot circle.
Actually though, after you learn the trick, it's pretty accurate. Just put the coil over the target while in all metal mode and slowly sweep the coil only about 5 inches side to side while backing off of the target. When the signal stops, then do the same going forward until it beeps again. When it first beeps again "STOP" the target then should be straight down from the front (or leading) center edge of your coil. HH

OP
OP
Smartin

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee

RVB,
Your right on about the the pin-pointing. I figured I'm just not used to it yet, I now have about 8hrs use . I've discovered if there's anything else close to the target it will pick it up, so your not real sure where to start. As you mentioned about pinpointing in all metal, thats what I discovered as well.I'm not covenced the depth is all that accurate as well, I do know the VDI# will vary on the same metal depending on the depth and corrosion. I think it's going to be a great machine as I get in tune with it and learn the lingo.

Happy Hunting,
Smartin

OP
OP
Smartin

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee

Monty,
I'm still quite new with Quattro, but what I'm seeing is if your in an area without a lot of other stuff the VDI# stays pretty much the same.( maybe a 1 point variance ). If there's alot of other non-ferrous targets the VDI# will bounce around. I think the key to this machine is going to be the audible tones. The full band spectrum (FBS) is very sensitive to very small targets and depths exceeding 12" I'm sure lots more if the target is larger. This can be good or bad, depending on what your looking for.

Still learning,
Smartin PS: I havn't figured out the bar graph yet, this could be very usefull!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread