VMI Cadet button

Company F

Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/White's Classic IDX/Fisher F2
I went metal detecting today near downtown Nashville, Tennessee at the same vacant lot where I found a toy Dragnet badge and a 1941 Mercury Dime a couple of months ago. I wasn't finding much except a few clad pennies and some trash. Got a good signal and found this VMI (Virginia Military Institute) button. It looks pretty old, probably Civil War era. It is backmarked but I can't read what it says.

Attachments

• vmi001.jpg
    vmi001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,259
  • vmi002.jpg
    vmi002.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,103
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is certainly a surprise after digging pennies! :thumbsup: That's why I try not to get down when things are going bad... because the next hole can change everything!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF it has the "D. Evans/ Attleboro" backmark then its more than likely Civil War era or earlier :wink: :icon_thumleft:

There are different variations of that backmark, some running clockwise...some counter clockwise...some in a banner...some with a wreath....but most all of these are Civil war era or earlier

The ones with the inner wreath or the inner ring of hyphens were the ones made from Circa 1860 & 1865 through post war....so it is still possible that if you have one with one of these backmarks that it IS civil war era.....but its also possible that it MAY be post war :icon_thumleft: :wink:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Hard to say on the VMI. If you can make out any letters at all please let us know and maybe we can help date it. If it is Benedict & Burnham, Wadham & Webster or Robinson it is precivil war. D. Evans took over Robinson in 1848. D Evans can be pre or post civil war depending on the backmark. VMI buttons were ordered from Firmin in England but I don't think they made it over here to be used during the civil war. I hope this info will help you out

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The backmark is the key. Nice find!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find!!! I have been told that the Robinson backmarked button or D.Evans in a ribbon are the Civil War date V.M.I. buttons (as Sentinel, VY, and others have referred to). That info. came from from four different relic dealers. If your button is one of those two backmarks, there's a really good chance that the soldier who wore it had Stonewall Jackson as his Artillery Instructor at V.M.I.. Dman and I just bought 3 of the V.M.I. non-excavated V.M.I. buttons each last week to sell at a future date. If it's a CW backmark, the value is $110-160 in excavated condition. WTG & HH.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey F Company , Interesting button .. & great id effort !! Stonewall Jackson , amazing info :o Congrats on your button find :thumbsup:

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's the ribbon aka banner....and that's one of the civil war era bacmarks. There's one with clockwise text and one with counterclockwise text ...but they are both of the civil war variety.

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Sentinel for the info and thanks to Company F for posting his VMI button so we all can learn about and enjoy them. Now I gotta go back there again!!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice old button :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
{Sentinel} said:
that's the ribbon aka banner....and that's one of the civil war era bacmarks. There's one with clockwise text and one with counterclockwise text ...but they are both of the civil war variety.
Right. Also most will have Attleboro Mass. but I have seen some that just say Attleboro. These are still civil war as well.

OP
OP
Company F

Company F

Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/White's Classic IDX/Fisher F2
After a little cleaning on the back with aluminum jelly, I could faintly read the backmark. It is "D.Evans & Co. Attleboro".

Attachments

• user7526_pic8562_1272511851.jpg
    user7526_pic8562_1272511851.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 402
  • user7526_pic8561_1272511851.jpg
    user7526_pic8561_1272511851.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 416

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread