WOOHOO! scored a gold coin!!!!!!

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
What a day!!!!!! I had a few chores to do this morning and then had a few minutes to get out with the trusty minelab, and boy what a few minutes! I had been out the evening before and had dug a real interesting ring that is like a minature mosaic, I think its one of the most interesting things I have ever dug. Shortly after that I was hitting an area that I have beat up real hard and was working tight to a tree when I got a very ugly 1904 barber dime, but any silver is good silver :D So this afternoon I decided to hit a spot that had produced alot of older coins for me and work real tight to all the trees there. after about 15 minutes of nothing I got a signal that was cross between a twist off top off a 40 ouncer and an indian head penny. Since I had'nt done alot of digging I decided to give it a shot. I cut my plug and flipped the top over and instantly saw the gold in the hole, my first thought was "its a gold colored twist off top :( I reached in a as I grabbed the object the soil falls off the coin and I see a liberty head and then the hands start shaking! I let out a Yehhhaaaaaa! so loud a young couple that was taking a walk in the park came running thinking I had hurt myself lol. After explaining what had happened and showing off my prize I grabbed the minelab and off to the house I run! This is by far the best coin I have ever dug and I am sure the pics do it no justice as everyone including myself that has seen it agrees that it is flawless and looks as if it just came from the mint. It ends up its a 1899 five dollar gold piece with S mint mark! In this condition I know its gotta be a real winner! I told everyone that this was the year I would find the gold coin and I guess now I finally did it, man I am on cloud nine

HH
Slipperyjack47

Attachments

• mosaic ring.jpg
    mosaic ring.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 5,965
  • barber 1.jpg
    barber 1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 5,926
  • barber obverse.jpg
    barber obverse.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 5,893
  • gold coin 1.jpg
    gold coin 1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 5,925
  • gold coin obverse.jpg
    gold coin obverse.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 5,940
Upvote 0

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find!! A gold coin is worth a banner placement anytime! ;D

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
I have to apologize to ya SJ, I jumped RIGHT pass your story to the photo's, upon seeing the dime first in line, I thought "poor stupid guy thinks that dime is gold"........ummmmmm, who's the stupid guy? :-\ ANYway, GREAT find bubba!!!

bigealive

May 20, 2008
Good Thunder, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 - Pro Pointer
What is up fellow 2010 Gold Coin Club Member... I got the $5 and $10 Gold Coins in the banner. It looks like a good year is shaping up!!!!! Hopefully, we have more Gold in the future!!!! Todd

F

Felinepeachy

OMG, I just saw this. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You TOTALLY deserve it :thumbsup: :hello2: :headbang: :notworthy: :tongue3: ;D :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread