Five Hundred Dollar 75 Year Old Football Card! Returned

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not a detecting find but a treasure find nonetheless. As I was going to my first post at work today, I was called back to the central office by one of my superiors. When I arrive he gives me this sly 'come back here, got something for ya' look.
We go into the back office where he shows me a large box stuffed with sports cards. The box contained full albums of cards from the eighties and nineties, special Superbowl sets, a wooden tribute plaque of a female NHL goalie, charity hockey game programs...all kinds of stuff! A collectors dream! He tells me I can have it all.
When I was finally able to raise my jaw off the floor and my eyelids off the ceiling, he explained that he knew I was a collector and appreciated them more than his sons would. I thanked him profusely and told him I would put them in my car at lunch time.
After lunch I was assigned to an area that would allow me some time to look through my new treasure trove. Every player worth his salt in the 80's and 90's were represented. Pete Rose, Wade Boggs, Ozzie Smith, Greg Maddux, Nolan Ryan. I could go on all night.
I then noticed a small transparent plastic box containing one lone card. As I picked it up for closer inspection I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a 1935 National Chicle #19 Ralph Kercheval staring back at me.
I quickly went to eBay to see what this card would realize on the auction market. The median range of this beauty was $167.00 out of 9 listings. Several graded examples were well into the $500.00 range with others of a lesser grade fetching around $300.00. The one I had was in at least VG/EX condition and would possibly grade out to a 6 or better which is really good for a seventy five year old chunk of cardboard.
It was then I realized that I couldn't keep this card. He couldn't possibly have known it was in that box. Or could he? Was he testing me? No, that can't be it. Of all the people I've ever worked for he is one of the most stand-up guys I've ever known and has gone to bat for me several times. The decision was a no-brainer.
I called him and told him I was giving one of his cards back and explained what it was and why I was returning it. I think he was as shocked as I was earlier when he presented the cards to me. He knows my financial situation and how easy it would have been to make a quick bundle by auctioning it off. It had crossed my mind too but as I like to say, I'd rather sleep well at night.
Turns out he DID vaguely remember the card, forgot where he got it and simply thought it was a repro. I assured him it was not. One smell of the old cardboard along with my own authentication know-how was enough to verify that he indeed had a winner.
The pictures are of the box and contents. The Ralph Kercheval card I attached is copied from eBay and is only for reference. I couldn't get a picture of the actual card because...well, I gave it back.
I only had it for a few hours but I sure will miss that card. Who knows? There may be another treasure waiting for me in that big box.

Attachments

• Cards1.JPG
    Cards1.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,409
  • Cards2.JPG
    Cards2.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,337
  • Cards3.JPG
    Cards3.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,338
  • Cards4.JPG
    Cards4.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,341
  • Cards5.JPG
    Cards5.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,354
  • KerchevalCard.jpg
    KerchevalCard.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,376
Upvote 0

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have some 89 topps randy johnson rookies as well, Send your Ralph Kercheval card in to Beckett and get it graded, it will increase the value, hopefully it will come back as a 7.5 or higher,

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vanoldschool said:
Looks like you have some 89 topps randy johnson rookies as well, Send your Ralph Kercheval card in to Beckett and get it graded, it will increase the value, hopefully it will come back as a 7.5 or higher,
Did I lose you at the bakery? I gave the card back.

tomharris76

Jan 11, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
GopherDaGold said:
vanoldschool said:
Did I lose you at the bakery? I gave the card back.
lol.......I lose him at the bakery all the time too

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad place to be lost I suppose. Good coffee and law enforcement is always there.

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
Nice work....I may$$$$ in card at my parents house. I remember my pops telling me how he made a bike spoke piece out of a Mickey Mantle rookie card. He pretty much shat himself when I explained that he could have made $$,$$$ off it.

Needless to say all my cards are in safe keeping. Since I haven't lived with my folks since I was 18, I always have a bit of an insurance policy. My best card as a kid was an 1980 topps rICKY hINDERSON rookie card. At its peak it was around $165. That was
the early 90's though.

What scares me is those who live at "home" almost forever. I understand some circumstances....

Keep dem cards!

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's hope so.
One of the small albums is embossed with the New York Yankee's pin stripes, logo, and Babe Ruth in cursive. It is chock full of Ruth cards from the eighties. It also had a 33 1/3 rpm 'Talking Baseball Card' issued at Yankee Stadium in 1989 and featured the Babes Farewell Speech on April 27th, (HEY!! THAT'S TODAY!!! Just now saw that!!) 1947.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chico Rico said:
Nice work....I may$$$$ in card at my parents house. I remember my pops telling me how he made a bike spoke piece out of a Mickey Mantle rookie card. He pretty much shat himself when I explained that he could have made $$,$$$ off it.

Needless to say all my cards are in safe keeping. Since I haven't lived with my folks since I was 18, I always have a bit of an insurance policy. My best card as a kid was an 1980 topps rICKY hINDERSON rookie card. At its peak it was around $165. That was
the early 90's though.

What scares me is those who live at "home" almost forever. I understand some circumstances....

Keep dem cards!

Why the ones that are left in decent shape command such a premium. Untold hudreds probably sit in landfills all over this country.

My mother was once flipping through a Becket I had as a teenager and comes to a picture of the Mantle rookie and points to it and says, "I used to have that card." She had no clue what the value was on it even at that time. I really kick myself for not going and searching my grandparents house after they passed. I am sure that card was somewhere in that house. They were the type to hang on to everything regardless of the value.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked at a high grade Mantle RC. Wow! Makes you wonder how many are still secreted away undiscovered in a shoe box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread