Late 1820s pocket spill find - 2 Bust Halves and 2 Spanish Silver

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I wanted to do a hunt around the perimeter area of the homestead I got the 5 coppers at last week but the underbrush is really filling out now so I had to keep a bit closer to the actual homestead, where less underbrush was. I was hunting less than 15 minutes, and had recovered some pewter and brass pieces of unknowns when all of a sudden my XS screamed Silver to me!

I forgot my camera of course, but maybe that was the good luck I needed for this find. To my amazement the first thing I saw out of the hole was a big hunk of silver coin!

I picked it up and saw part of the Bust so I knew I had a Bust Half Dollar, :icon_thumright: I rechecked the hole with the probe and another coin was in there. Dug down the one side a bit and out pops the second Bust Half Dollar, this one completely coated but I knew what it was thanks to seeing the first one.

Now I stood up and rescanned the hole and off to the left side it was indicating yet a third coin! I enlarged the opening and out comes a thin smaller silver, which at first I was hoping to be a bust quarter but knew by the thinness it was going to be a Spanish Real. Just was not sure till I got home and checked but it was a One Real.....

Thinking wow, 3 silver in one hole, that never happened before, in fact Bust Half never happened before, but I did check the hole one more time and got a faint somewhat good coin type reading, gouged out the remaining dirt with my hand and the coin was now in the pile. A small one, a Half Real.
BigSilverApr27thDirty.jpg
PocketSpillObv.jpg
PocketSpillRev.jpg

So 4 Silvers in one hole, a first for me for something so old and so big, I was without a doubt thrilled to see this today. I thought of quitting right away to save the site for another hunt with my son and decided to slowly work my way back to the truck.

Just as I passed the area where my son got his 1794 Large Cent last week, I got a funky possible coin/iron reading. I noticed it was next to a fallen log that I had dug a hole right next to this signal last week and I remember it being a piece of iron pot. But today, maybe because of the wet ground, I heard coin and out pops a copper!

I had no idea what the copper was, I could tell it seen better days, but after cleaning it did show a nice date of 1722 and some of NIA from Brittania, so I knew I had a 1722 King George I Halfpenny. Right next to it was a button like relic, not sure if it is a button that was modified or was used for something else.

Overall, what a great hunt of less than one hour duration, April 2010, without a doubt was a winner for me.

Finds for the day, a very beautiful 1826 Bust Half Dollar
1826obvPretty.jpg
1826BustHalf.jpg
A very nice 1827 Bust Half Dollar
1827BustHalf.jpg
A decent 1782 Spanish One Real
1782OneReal.jpg
A heavily worn 1784? Spanish Half Real
1784HalfReal.jpg
Heavily worn and abused 1722 King George I Halfpenny
1722KGIHalfpenny.jpg
And a large possible button modified with two holes after shank sheared off, or perhaps something else :dontknow:
Buttonperhaps.jpg

Don

Upvote 22

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the nice comments, I'm still stoked, never expected big old silver, at least not two large ones with the coveted Spanish silver. Anyway, I just remembered the early year Bust coins were larger than others. I found out when I got out two Mylar Half Dollar holders and they were TOO SMALL. Here is a photo I just took of the two Bust with a Walking Liberty sandwiched in-between. There sure is a difference. I do have Dollar sized Mylar holders to temp put them in for protection, at least they fit in the dollar sized holders. :D

Don

Attachments

• sizedifference.jpg
    sizedifference.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 5,865

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy you have some Beauties there. Awesome Finds. Banner

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Don...what a hunt. :headbang: You must have been chitlins when you hit that hole.
As said before, see you up top soon.
I want one. :-\
Congrats on the banner.

Hill

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Oh my gosh. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup: :coffee2: :coffee2: :laughing9: :laughing9: I don't even know what emoticons I'm hitting ... I'm so flabbergasted. BANNER.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I wanted to show the edge lettering that is on both Half Dollars, kind of nice, just like the early Large and Half Cents.

FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR - edge lettering

Don

Attachments

• FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR.jpg
    FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 5,686

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing! Just one of those pocket spills we all dream of. I think this is definately banner worthy. My vote is in! :thumbsup:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is simply incredible! :icon_thumright:

I think Iron Patch summed it up best... but my banner vote is in as well. :hello2:

surprman

Apr 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
Sweet Halves. I especially like the edge lettering on these coins. I found one (not in nearly a good a condition as either of yours - I think it was exposed to a fire at some point) and there was an error in the edge lettering: "FIFTY CENTS OR LF A DOLLAR" Apparently that was a pretty common error due to the tooling used, but still pretty cool.

Again - nice finds.

Surprman

OhioCoinHunter

Feb 15, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac with Sunray X-1 Probe, 8x6 SEF Butterfly coil, 10x12 SEF Butterfly coil, 15x12 SEF Butterfly Coil
Super Finds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

Imnengr

Oct 31, 2009
Chicago Area
Detector(s) used
E-trac, X-terra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those halves are freakin' amazing! Congratulations :hello2:

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes Don ! That is totaly awesome. Congratulations on some very nice looking old silver. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on the spill and other finds, man those are some beautiful looking coins to say the least, WTG, :headbang:

TommNJ

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don,
Congrats on an awesome fund...love those Bust Halves.
NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions