Late 1820s pocket spill find - 2 Bust Halves and 2 Spanish Silver

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I wanted to do a hunt around the perimeter area of the homestead I got the 5 coppers at last week but the underbrush is really filling out now so I had to keep a bit closer to the actual homestead, where less underbrush was. I was hunting less than 15 minutes, and had recovered some pewter and brass pieces of unknowns when all of a sudden my XS screamed Silver to me!

I forgot my camera of course, but maybe that was the good luck I needed for this find. To my amazement the first thing I saw out of the hole was a big hunk of silver coin!

I picked it up and saw part of the Bust so I knew I had a Bust Half Dollar, :icon_thumright: I rechecked the hole with the probe and another coin was in there. Dug down the one side a bit and out pops the second Bust Half Dollar, this one completely coated but I knew what it was thanks to seeing the first one.

Now I stood up and rescanned the hole and off to the left side it was indicating yet a third coin! I enlarged the opening and out comes a thin smaller silver, which at first I was hoping to be a bust quarter but knew by the thinness it was going to be a Spanish Real. Just was not sure till I got home and checked but it was a One Real.....

Thinking wow, 3 silver in one hole, that never happened before, in fact Bust Half never happened before, but I did check the hole one more time and got a faint somewhat good coin type reading, gouged out the remaining dirt with my hand and the coin was now in the pile. A small one, a Half Real.
BigSilverApr27thDirty.jpg
PocketSpillObv.jpg
PocketSpillRev.jpg

So 4 Silvers in one hole, a first for me for something so old and so big, I was without a doubt thrilled to see this today. I thought of quitting right away to save the site for another hunt with my son and decided to slowly work my way back to the truck.

Just as I passed the area where my son got his 1794 Large Cent last week, I got a funky possible coin/iron reading. I noticed it was next to a fallen log that I had dug a hole right next to this signal last week and I remember it being a piece of iron pot. But today, maybe because of the wet ground, I heard coin and out pops a copper!

I had no idea what the copper was, I could tell it seen better days, but after cleaning it did show a nice date of 1722 and some of NIA from Brittania, so I knew I had a 1722 King George I Halfpenny. Right next to it was a button like relic, not sure if it is a button that was modified or was used for something else.

Overall, what a great hunt of less than one hour duration, April 2010, without a doubt was a winner for me.

Finds for the day, a very beautiful 1826 Bust Half Dollar
1826obvPretty.jpg
1826BustHalf.jpg
A very nice 1827 Bust Half Dollar
1827BustHalf.jpg
A decent 1782 Spanish One Real
1782OneReal.jpg
A heavily worn 1784? Spanish Half Real
1784HalfReal.jpg
Heavily worn and abused 1722 King George I Halfpenny
1722KGIHalfpenny.jpg
And a large possible button modified with two holes after shank sheared off, or perhaps something else :dontknow:
Buttonperhaps.jpg

Don

Upvote 22

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNBELIEVEABLE! That 1826 has to be close to EF. You are DA man!! :notworthy:

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! :o :o :o Amazing pocket spill and a big congrats to you!!! those bust halves look amazing! I'm voting banner. congratulations again Don!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome day in the field, Don! :icon_thumleft: You had a good day indeed. :hello:

Kirk

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly!!!!

Now that's a spill to dream about :notworthy:

You have my Banner vote :thumbsup:

Excellent recovery. . . and no scratches or tool dings ::)

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
I've never seen such an old "pocket spill" of coins!! :o :o

Those are just amazing, Don! Major congrats!! :headbang:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
All I can say is WOW !! Don, you really know how to get it done :thumbsup: I too will be voting for the BANNER !
This find in my opinion is one of the best that I have ever seen.

Congrats for sure, VPR

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAMNNNNNNNN! :tongue3: That must have near knocked you off your feet! :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Don! That is a super find, im voting banner on that one. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:

There are some I don't think we even have to vote.... and this is one.

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
WOW!! :o Those capped bust halves are in incredible condition!! Please make sure you protect them/preserve them asap....you might also want to consider submitting one or both coins to PCGS or NGC for grading and slabbing/preservation....no matter what, FANTASTIC FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Don,

Was just planning to lurk today but I had to login to congratulate you on an incredible find. Those bust halfs are gorgeous! I'm thinking you found yourself a cache...hard to imagine someone losing that kind of cash (and that size of cash!) in a pocket spill. Thanks for the great pics, too. I can imagine what they looked like spilling out of your sandy soil.

MP

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:

There are some I don't think we even have to vote.... and this is one.

I agree. This should make banner all by itself. But, I'm voting, just to be sure. :)

Great hunt Don. I'm sure you'll remember this one for a long time. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread