Found a Really interesting 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar/ 1901 Morgan Dollar

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my finds from yesterday. My first coin I found yesterday, just about knocked me for a loop. It was a 1865 Seated Half Dollar and on the back of it was a Masonic symbol. Beats me what the heck it is, but I love it. Found it at a one room school house site, that my partner and I have hunted a ton of times. My buddy found a shielded nickel, but lost it somewhere in the field. Guess we will have to find that one after the crops are off this fall.

We went to another One Room school house that we had hunted many, many times. I found two V-nickels, 1901 & 1910, a Mercury Dime, 1942 D, two wheat pennies, 1912 and 1942, some sort of lead bullet, and a bunch of buttons, one of them being a Eagle button. Kinda of think the Eagle might be a War of 1812, not sure.

Not to be outdone, my hunting partner pulled out a 1901 Morgan Silver Dollar in really good shape from the last one room school house site!

The day before I found a arrowhead and a stone knife and a couple of pre-form indian relics. Can't wait for some more rain. It is really dry here in Ohio.

Here is another example of a site is never hunted out!!

All of our finds were found using a Minelab X-terra 70, awesome detector.

HH, Ringfinder

Attachments

• Best Standing Liberty.jpg
    Best Standing Liberty.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 3,152
  • Best Standing Liberty.Back.jpg
    Best Standing Liberty.Back.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 3,119
  • My finds from Today.jpg
    My finds from Today.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 3,139
  • Gary holding dollar.jpg
    Gary holding dollar.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 3,192
  • close up of dollar.jpg
    close up of dollar.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 3,086
  • Back of Silver dollar.jpg
    Back of Silver dollar.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 3,437
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimsdad said:
I vote BANNER!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your Banner vote, glad you liked our finds!

HH,Ringfinder

Mr Tuff said:
sweet point!!! nice silver :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Thanks, I'm always looking for points while I'm detecting. It's amazing at how well you can see them metal detecting!

HH< Ringfinder

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
awesome token!! It will display well :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marc(NB) said:
awesome token!! It will display well :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank You Marc!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have missed this!

Stunning piece of 'folk art' / history:

1865 Seated Half Dollar with hand incised Masonic symbol :headbang:

The date was almost certainly significant when it was chosen to make the token. With a bit of research it might be for example the founder date for a nearby lodge. It might also be the guys Birth day which would be impossible to research.(maybe marking the end of the Civil War??)However, it was not a random date IMO :icon_thumright:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are really great finds.

Love that half. Someone really knew what they were doing. They did a great job on that coin. Something you will probably never come across again.

HH jer

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I've been watching this since it was first posted and think it is the most awesome seated coin ever posted. Not sure why it's not on the banner but all the same, it's the best ever. :thumbsup:

You have bragging rights. :)

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Must have missed this!

The date was almost certainly significant when it was chosen to make the token. With a bit of research it might be for example the founder date for a nearby lodge. It might also be the guys Birth day which would be impossible to research.(maybe marking the end of the Civil War??)However, it was not a random date IMO :icon_thumright:

Thanks CRUSADER for your reply. I have tried to find out information about this token, but have come up empty handed. I went to a Military show here in Ohio a couple of weeks ago and they had 780 vendors there. I asked everyone who had some sort of coins for sale, if they knew what it was. No one could come up with an answer. One fellow did tell me the dark spots on the Seated side, is actually where a pin would have been to hold the token on a jacket or shirt. He said he has seen tons of Love tokens, but this was not one of them. He also said a watch maker probably did all the engraving of the Masonic back. So far that is all the info I have.

Thanks Again for your thoughts.
Ringfinder

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringfinder said:
CRUSADER said:
Must have missed this!

Thanks CRUSADER for your reply. I have tried to find out information about this token, but have come up empty handed. I went to a Military show here in Ohio a couple of weeks ago and they had 780 vendors there. I asked everyone who had some sort of coins for sale, if they knew what it was. No one could come up with an answer. One fellow did tell me the dark spots on the Seated side, is actually where a pin would have been to hold the token on a jacket or shirt. He said he has seen tons of Love tokens, but this was not one of them. He also said a watch maker probably did all the engraving of the Masonic back. So far that is all the info I have.

Thanks Again for your thoughts.
Ringfinder

Do some Googling on the Date (1865) & Masonic Lodges in your area. Without knowing where you found it here are some possibilities:

Warren Gamaliel Harding - Marion Lodge #70, Marion, Ohio - Masonic President from 1921-1923 Born 1865-1923(died)

Grand Lodge of West Virginia - Est. April 12, 1865

BRIDGEPORT LODGE #181 - The first lodge home was in the Dollar Savings Bank Building located at the corner of Lincoln and Main Streets. A fire destoryed the building in 1865 and the lodge records were lost. Later that year, the lodge made arrangements to build an additional story onto the Cook Building at 211 1/2 Main Street. They met there until 1940, at that time the new building was erected at Lincoln Avenue and Whitely Streets.

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
I've been watching this since it was first posted and think it is the most awesome seated coin ever posted. Not sure why it's not on the banner but all the same, it's the best ever. :thumbsup:

You have bragging rights. :)

Thank You RPG, I appreciate your comments. The Seated Half dollar is pretty cool and the back of the coin is even neater

Thanks Again,
Ringfinder

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome Seated :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
Awesome Seated :icon_thumright:

Thank You Joe for your comments, it was a Awesome find!!

HH, Ringfinder

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a unique, beautiful find, ringfinder! :hello2: Congrats to your buddy on his Morgan half as well. :thumbsup: Excellent finds!

HH

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michiganne said:
What a unique, beautiful find, ringfinder! :hello2: Congrats to your buddy on his Morgan half as well. :thumbsup: Excellent finds!

HH

Thanks Michiganne, The Seated half with a Masonic back is a special find. My buddy who found that Silver Dollar found another one almost a month earlier. What a lucky guy he is.

Thanks for your comment.

Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread