Give me an hour and I give you . . .

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
There's a park that dates to the 1870's I've been hunting and have pulled many older coins from it. Interestingly I've only found one small 20' x 40' area that's productive (I think the rest of the park has been changed). Three trips ago there I thought it was done for silver, as it had been several trips since silver surfaced, but I still managed to find old wheaties and a few other interesting things, so I kept at it. Two trips ago the ground, which had always been moist on previous hunts, was bone dry. They say dry ground is optimal for hunting around iron as wet ground enhances the halo of large and small rusty iron, and I saw first hand what I was missing in wet ground as I dug several coins in the same hole as rusty nails. Unbelievably I pulled three mercs, two indian heads, and about ten early wheatbacks from the same spot in the course of an hour or so. I couldn't believe it.

Sunday I only had about an hour to hunt it, and my second target was a pristine 1912-S Barber dime! It looks like an uncirculated drop, it's crisp and has much more detail then I could capture, looks like an easy AU50. Bummer it wasn't a key date.

05-02-10-1912S_BarberF.jpg
05-02-10-1912S_BarberB.jpg

A few feet away from where I got the Barber I dug what I think may be my first love token?? When I first dug it I thought I had a normal trade token, but when I got it home and cleaned it up I saw that it was hand engraved. It's the exact same size as a nickel, which is exactly what I thought it was made of, but further cleaning reveals that it's actually copper. Any ideas on this one?

05-02-10-LC_TokenF.jpg
05-02-10-LC_TokenB.jpg

I was running 99 sensitivity, zero disc and only digging targets that read at 6" or deeper. It was a bit noisy, but according to Dankowski, that combination provides the best audio and the ultimate unmasking capabilities.

I'm amazed that I keep finding coins at this park, I cover the same small area over and over, but for some reason each trip gives up goodies that I couldn't detect and/or hear on previous trips. It's peculiar, really makes me ponder how much stuff is missed due to the multitude of ever changing variables we face.

Thanks for looking,
Brian

Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Nice love token :icon_thumleft:

I've only ever found the bent kind!

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner and i are experiencing the same thing at our old park, you need to start hunting for nickles now, go for the deep ones, shallow is usually a pulltab. our silver is depleted from our park, but we still manage an old nickle here and there.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
shaun7 said:
Nice love token :icon_thumleft:

I've only ever found the bent kind!

Thanks! I guess you have those coin seeking plows to deal with eh :icon_scratch:

prolab69 said:
My hunting partner and i are experiencing the same thing at our old park, you need to start hunting for nickles now, go for the deep ones, shallow is usually a pulltab. our silver is depleted from our park, but we still manage an old nickle here and there.

I've found some older nickels there, a few V's, buffalos and silver war nickels, but I haven't got a nickel signal there in a while.

I pretty much dig anything non-iron, even if it's iffy. Even digging iron has crossed my mind, thinking I may find a few masked keepers if I clear out all metal targets. Eventually I'll probably do that :tongue3:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dime does appear to be AU! AWESOME and Congrats. Hogge :headbang:

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Awesome barber and token. Interesting detecting technique also. I'll have to try that.

TG

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
There is little to say about a coin found in that condition. Pretty is an understatement.
And the love token ain't too shabby either!

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
i have a park like this too, only a few good spots (fill dirt just about everywhere)....some days nothing...other days deep coins everywhere...........all in the same small area

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice Barber :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet looking dime! Very nice find.
As for the token, weren't some nickles, like the V nickle mainly copper? Seem to remember the V nickles being 70 percent copper or some such.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crisp dime, and that nickel is interesting. You don't see too many converted nickels as love tokens. Go back for another hour or two.
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread