The old fields are still giving up some goodies!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the chance to return to a few of my favorite spots. Both are former farm fields but are very different. The first one dates back to colonial times and is a young forest, the other was a soy bean field that dates to the early-mid nineteenth century and is still a wide open field, which makes for easy detecting year round.

P5040002.JPG

I had a hunch that the soy bean field had been detected before by others that were using pre-set coin mode. Nearly all of the targets found are mid-range targets, with no copper or silver signals. Apparently I was correct, as a person came by and said that it had been detected before. That is OK with me! I can dig old CW era relics all day long! Some of the mid range targets missed were three cent pieces (the field has given up 5 so far!) and a half dime, not to mention all of the other relics and buttons including what I am posting today.

P5040001a.JPG

P5040009.JPG

P5040010.JPG

The "Double Gilt" button appears to be much older than most of the other relics. I would say it is late 18th to early 19th century. The marine button has the back mark "HORSTMANN PHILADELPHIA" which makes it post CW, although I doubt it is 1893-1930's as some websites state for that particular back mark. Another four hole button was also dug, this one marked "NAGEL & SIEGLING / NY". I cannot find any info on this back mark.

P5040006.JPG

No outing to this field would be complete without at least one "D" buckle and a circa 1850 spoon marked "ROGERS NICKEL SILVER".

P5040005.JPG

Many other unidentified relics were also unearthed including the Native American headdress, a round object that looks like it may have been a mount for a gauge of some type, a clasp and an odd rectangular object with two lines on it. I have found these before in other fields and have always wondered about them. Any help with ID is appreciated!!!

Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Neil. Like that button. :icon_thumright:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I love digging buttons. Looks like you do too. Is that some type of early navy button in the close up pic ?

Nice stuff, VPR

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I love digging buttons. Looks like you do too. Is that some type of early navy button in the close up pic ?

Nice stuff, VPR

It is actually a USMC button. It appears to be post CW, my guess is no later than 1890's.

I also neglected to post some nice collar buttons that came up real low, below the foil area.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool! likin that headress doo hickey! nice hunt!

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• CFN.jpg
    CFN.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 446

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Neil. I have found a couple of blocks like your rectangular objects with two lines on them. I don't have them any more to show but I think they were made of aluminum. Are yours aluminum?
roger

Acejeckel

Jul 18, 2009
Just Outside Detroit
Detector(s) used
White's V3I, DFX, M6, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wtg... great finds. What numbers you getting on the detector from those 3 cent pieces?

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are nice finds Neil.

Have you been finding most of your stuff with the V3. It's a good unit. I am getting close to a few hundred hrs on it. I gotta send mine in and get the upgrade also.

HH Jer

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
JerV3 said:
Those are nice finds Neil.

Have you been finding most of your stuff with the V3. It's a good unit. I am getting close to a few hundred hrs on it. I gotta send mine in and get the upgrade also.

HH Jer

Jer, it is the only detector I have been using. I replaced the D2 coil with the 950 eclipse and I am enjoying it a lot more. It gets down real deep, even on tiny buttons.

rodgerdodger said:
Nice finds Neil. I have found a couple of blocks like your rectangular objects with two lines on them. I don't have them any more to show but I think they were made of aluminum. Are yours aluminum?
roger

They may be aluminum, but I am not sure.

Acejeckel said:
Wtg... great finds. What numbers you getting on the detector from those 3 cent pieces?

I only found one of the three cent pieces in the field. The other four were found by two others. Mine is in the best shape out of the four, however.

Mine is .750 silver, .250 copper. It sounded very much like a small, deep button. It was bouncing up from the teens to the 50's. Once it was on the ground it stayed in the 30's if I remember correctly. These coins are extremely thin, hence the bouncy signals. A few of the others found were the .900 varieties and they VDI's a bit higher, but not much.

All I can say is if it is not iron, dig it, and if you are not sure, dig it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread