Lost, Found, Lost Again, Found Again- 1738 KGII

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, we went back with Mach 1 & 2 and another visitor who is getting interested in metal detecting.

I had only one good find today. A 1738 KGII. I found it by the barn on the property in a real trashy spot. It was 7 inches down and tilted almost completly on edge. The ground was worked so it was full of gravel and rock and I wound up scrachting the coin on the back >:(.

On the way through the one field of the property, I realized that my pill bottle to hold my finds had dissappeared out of my pouch ???. I started to freak out because this is the nicest KG I have ever dug. Then I had to back track my way through the field and find my bottle with my coin in it. It didn't help that the field grass was halfway to my knee.

So to recap: someone lost it a long time ago, I found it, lost it, then found it again. So I had the joy of finding it twice :laughing7:.

Attachments

• KGII1738 001.JPG
    KGII1738 001.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 804
  • KGII1738 006.JPG
    KGII1738 006.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 805
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think you got a nice cast counterfeit there! :thumbsup:

If it's something that's really good I put my film container in a zipped pocket and not back in my pouch.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeArmitt Pa said:
What is the weight of a real KG?

Not sure but just seen one at 8.71 grams. I bet the sound would be a bit lower on that one too.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeArmitt Pa said:
Ok. Mines coming in at 6.5 grams. Oh well.

Oh well? A contemporary counterfeit is a better find than a Regal issue. Some are actually worth some pretty good $$$ but unfortunately that is not one, but still a good find. I wish every halfpenny I will ever dig would be ctft!

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Iron Patch said:
DeArmitt Pa said:
Ok. Mines coming in at 6.5 grams. Oh well.

Oh well? A contemporary counterfeit is a better find than a Regal issue. Some are actually worth some pretty good $$$ but unfortunately that is not one, but still a good find. I wish every halfpenny I will ever dig would be ctft!
I agree

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeArmitt Pa said:
On the way through the one field of the property, I realized that my pill bottle to hold my finds had dissappeared out of my pouch ???.

And I told him I'd keep it if I found it with my detector! ::) :laughing9:

Other than this coin, I think we all were skunked today at this site. :(

jc2

Sep 18, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE w/SunRay X1 Probe, Sovereign Elite w/SunRay S1 Probe, Garrett Infinium LS and the Tesoro Cortes'
another nice copper . . . great shape too.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking copper :icon_thumright:
I'd be freaking if I'd dropped it.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice old copper :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Nice find ! Nice find ! I thought that it should be said twice :headbang:

I have not found a KG yet and you find one twice :thumbsup:

VPR

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice copper :icon_thumleft: at least you can see a date all 5 of mine you cant and its good to know the real weight 8.7 all mine like yours are in the 6. range also strange they all came up as a copper on my DFX 74+ 80+ at 6 to 8 inches deep . Still a good hunt :thumbsup: Dd60

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
Nice copper :icon_thumleft: at least you can see a date all 5 of mine you cant and its good to know the real weight 8.7 all mine like yours are in the 6. range also strange they all came up as a copper on my DFX 74+ 80+ at 6 to 8 inches deep . Still a good hunt :thumbsup: Dd60
I have a young head I found last week with the "smithie" stamp on it. I have a Prism IV and it registered as a Pull Tab at 4". Mine is also CFT. Congrats.......Hogge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:

The 8.7 was just one example. There would be no specific weight, but probably a small range around that 8.7. I'm sure if you wanted to spend a few minutes on Google you could figure it out. Or if Don sees this post he has the weights written down. They're probably in one of my books too, but that would mean I have to get up and go open one. :-X

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Deepdiger60 said:

The 8.7 was just one example. There would be no specific weight, but probably a small range around that 8.7. I'm sure if you wanted to spend a few minutes on Google you could figure it out. Or if Don seens this post he has the weights written down. They're probably in one of my books too, but that would mean I have to get up and go open one. :-X

8.7 grams(134 grains) would be on the low end of a regal weight, 6.5 grams is right there for most typical counterfeited coppers, approx 100 grains, without a doubt a counterfeit....... However, some cast counterfeits can actually weigh in at Regal or even heavier amounts, depending on what metals they used to make the cast with.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet KG. Even sweeter that it is a counterfeit. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread