Treasure Hunter Cache

Doug Mauck

Sep 7, 2004
Topeka, Kansas
I was searching in a large open area at our local lake without much hope when I got a signal for a coin. When I dug it up, it was a modern penny painted yellow on one side. Thinking this was curious, I scanned some more and found another painted penny about 18" away. In the end, I found four painted pennies in a square and another signal in the center of the square. There I found a painted nickel and a painted dime, but under them was a cannister. Inside the cannister I found a note with a date three years ago and the name, address, and telephone number of the person who had placed the cache! I added my name and hid the cache in another location. Has anyone found such a cache? It sounds like a good idea.

Upvote 0

midus1

Jul 8, 2003
Alexandria, Ky
Haven't found one but it sounds like a GPS cache. They hide these and when you find them you are supposed to add something and re-bury it.

HH

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is called 'Geo-Cache-ing' and is growing in popularity. You can check it out on the web. My understanding is you are welcome to take one thing out of the cannister, but you have to replace it with something else. Then you are supposed to re-bury it in the same spot so someone else can locate it. These are found using a GPS (ground positioning system), but I've never heard of someone finding one with a metal detector! Good going!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeh, that wasn't a geo-cache, but the concept is the same. Never heard of someone taking that approach. Anybody got some coins and rings you'd like to send me? I'll be glad to bury them for you...and even leave a note... 8)

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a geocacher and a treasure hunter I can tell you that it was not a geocache. It is against the rules to bury a cache. Geocachers use a GPS unit which is not accurate enough to pinpoint underground caches! Man if a geocacher had to dig for caches using only a gps unit the area would look like the moon before long!

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
I was curious as to what type of detector you were using and does it work well for you? thanks Earl

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earl you asking me? If so I use an early White's Spectrum, still a great machine. Don't use it for Geocaching though!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nope never had that happen. But what i like to do is hunt a place until the finds are really few and far in-between and then bury a coin that beats the heck out of all the clad crap in circ, today. Maybe add your initials. So if you ever find a coin and it has O7 on it - well I just may have planted it there. *L*

but the O7 is something I haven't implemented yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread