KGIII Irish Halfpenny

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a nice hike this morning to a isolated site that I found last year and was meaning to get back to, but wish I had gotten there before the foliage started to fill out. Anyway, the site is not a fun one, some nice open areas, but most of it is rather brushy with some greenbriar, but the kicker is, there are bullets of all calibers in the ground from an old nearby rifle range that evidently did not have a very high backstop area years ago.

So, coin readings were bullet reading, button reading were other types of bullet readings and it was dig all an hope it wasn't another cotton pickin bullet!

I finally found a place where the bullets were less and the iron hits increased and got rewarded with a early flat gold gilt button. Now I had hopes of finding some old stuff! A few minutes later I got my first and unfortunately my only coin for the morning, but I knew it was a colonial by the look of it and rather not so round of condition! Shortly after that I got a match to the first gilt button I found and then a nice tombac style button.

I plan on hitting this site again when I have more time, don't think I hunted more that 45 minutes today, spent way too much time exploring and walking, over a half hour brisk walk just to reach this homestead.

Getting a coin for May is good enough now and time to relax some, that was my 12th 1700 era copper coin for the year, so not complaining one bit. Oh the coin is a 1776 (fairly certain it is a 6 and not a 5) King George III Irish Halfpenny. It is in good shape but being a counterfeit it was not struck well and the features are weak despite a pleasantly smooth planchet............. (It is a lightweight so it is a counterfeit, weighs only 110.5 grains)

Don

Attachments

• EB homestead.jpg
    EB homestead.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 409
  • Copper in hole.jpg
    Copper in hole.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 396
  • Site251Finds.jpg
    Site251Finds.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 395
  • 1776KGIIIIrishHalfpennySite251.jpg
    1776KGIIIIrishHalfpennySite251.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always a good one in my books! :thumbsup: Was going to say I'm still waiting for my first for the year, but think I have one.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
George is poppin' up all over the place ! You can bet that when I do finally find mine I will be doing the happy dance !

Thank You for another great post :icon_thumleft:

VPR

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
your'e having an amazing year, Don.
congrats on the copper. glad you made it out of the bullet field. sometimes one's will weakens when they realize they are surrounded...

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Don! Sounds like a great place to continue hunting. :icon_thumright:

KL

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Don, congrats again to ya..

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don has a magnetic field surrounding him....Coins just come flyin after him.....I "only" have 11 coppers thus far.....and you say you have 12 1700's era coppers? How many Large cents have you dug?

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Don! :icon_thumright:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Don ! I have yet to break into the 1700's with a coin ! 1803 draped my oldest so far ! I will do the happy dance for a week when I do !! MaineRelic

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Nice coin and buttons Don!!! How is the back holding up, hope it is better :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffy said:
Don has a magnetic field surrounding him....Coins just come flyin after him.....I "only" have 11 coppers thus far.....and you say you have 12 1700's era coppers? How many Large cents have you dug?

Oops Sniffy, not 12 coppers this year, 12 coins this year from the 1700s. Counted the One Real and Half Real as coppers, LOL. What's a Large Cent? ;D

I try and keep the count up to date on my profile.

Don

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bubba65 said:
Nice coin and buttons Don!!! How is the back holding up, hope it is better :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

Thanks, actually not so good, probably should not be going out and walking like that, I usually pay a price for doing so for a few days and this is not exception, ah, comes with age I guess and long range effects of falling off ladders. >:(

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice hunt don! hopefully more will come outta that site!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Dom. I would kill for our woods down here in Mississippi to be that clear and weed free. Can't even walk in them right now. Nice finds. I have 3 coppers for this year so far. Hopefully More will follow for us both. :thumbsup: :notworthy:

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zaxfire69 said:
Nice finds Dom. I would kill for our woods down here in Mississippi to be that clear and weed free. Can't even walk in them right now. Nice finds. I have 3 coppers for this year so far. Hopefully More will follow for us both. :thumbsup: :notworthy:

Ah, don't be decieved by the photo, that is only clear becuase of it used to be field area and homestead area, the vast majority of woods here are thick with underbrush and plenty of areas you cannot even walk through, also we have our share of swamps in southern NJ........

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread