THREE MONKEYS AND TWO SACS...

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
THREE MONKEYS AND TWO SACS...
Every hunt an adventure, every find a surprise, you just never know what you are going to find when you go metal detecting do you? One surprise today was actually getting to even get out and detect a little while. I’ve had the whole weekend off but today was the first chance to go out and swing my detector a bit. Between chores (yard work), rainy weather (with lightning.. YIKES!) and weekly doctors appointments in the next state, I’d all but given up hope of getting any swing time in this weekend. Thanks to lighter than usual traffic on the way home today from the doctors visit, and rain that decided to fall elsewhere for a while, I managed to sneak in a little playtime this afternoon. Over the weekend there was a Soccer Tournament at one of my favorite haunts (parks). The Bluegrass Invitational Tournament had teams from all over the state of Kentucky and the states of Indiana and Ohio were represented as well. LOTS OF PEOPLE! I think the headcount might well have reached more than 1600 or more people on Saturday alone. Of course wherever and whenever there are large crowds of people, there will be drops and spills and lost items to recover, be they surface finds or oddly enough, like today, lots of DUG items to be found too. Of course there will be the usual finds.. like pull tabs..

Tabs.JPG

There was found some odd bits and pieces, both on the surface and dug. Tent stake? Everyone uses those instant pop-up shelters now as well as the collapsible camp chairs. I found the bottom of a flashlight, that was odd, a spring, a piece of plumbing, a wedge for a wooden handled tool of some kind, and a key ring carabineer..

Stuff.JPG

I didn’t find any rings this time out, but I did pull a small bracelet out of the grass along the side of one of the soccer fields I hunted today. I stayed on the sidelines this hunt instead of searching the entire playing field thereby covering several of the playing fields in the time I had to hunt with. The bracelet is a little heavy for its size but I think it’s probably more likely to be costume jewelry rather than silver and precious stones. I found a stamp of some sort on the back but really couldn’t make much out of it other than it’s NOT stamped 925.

Bling1.JPG

Bling5.JPG

It may not be silver, but it’s shiny and that’s always fun to find something shiny.. <smile> Oh I found coins too of course, a bunch on the surface, as might be expected, but more that were dug up .. including these two pretty ladies..

Saqs.JPG

I GOT SAC’ed TWICE ! Same field, but opposite sides. Along the side of yet another playing field I was judged. By three monkeys! What started off as a target indicated in the fifty cent piece range on my detector turned out to be a referee’s decision toss coin.. a “Flipper”. Those are always a blast to find, but this one was a first in my experience. What at first appeared to be a pretty standard “toss coin” turned out to be pretty unique. On the “tails” side it looked like most any other toss coin I’ve found, on the “heads” side however, I discovered the three little monkeys..er referees.. or whatever. I guess if you have to make a judgment call over a foul or penalty by flipping a coin, these three little apes are appropriate as anything.

TossComp.jpg

That’s right, it’s the classic “Hear No Evil... See No Evil...Speak No Evil” Monkeys..

Toss close.JPG

I always knew that the referees were just monkey’ing around but now I have proof! Come on guys! You gotta keep your eyes open! So do we metal detectorists. It was keeping my eyes open that lead me to find another dollar while detecting. Not a coin, but a paper bill. It was crumpled up, but other than being a little damp from the rain over the weekend, it’s still perfectly useable. Hey! It rounded out my finds total for the day nicely. I found and recovered exactly $10.00 in clad coins this afternoon, and one $1.00 paper bill for a total of $11.00 U.S.

Clad.JPG

Yeah, you can say my gas was covered pretty well. <smile> And to think I thought wasn’t going to get to play any on my days off. All I needed was a window of opportunity! I hope you all find your windows soon too, and as always..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the bracelet. All your finds are nice.

:wink: RR

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your finds and the amount of time and effort is paying off .I hope the bracelet is the real deal ,U deserve it!! :icon_pirat: CMD

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great job digging all that! (I love the soccer coins) :)

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

River Rat said:

My wife liked it too, but it was/is too small for her to wear. Unless I get the damaged link resoldered however, no matter who wears it it may come apart and be lost again. I'm still wondering what the hallmark signifies. I wish I knew where to go to research hallmarks and such. Maybe someone on line here can help me out with directions or something.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250...Garrett Pro-pointer... "The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny"
Re: reply

Frodov said:
River Rat said:

My wife liked it too, but it was/is too small for her to wear. Unless I get the damaged link resoldered however, no matter who wears it it may come apart and be lost again. I'm still wondering what the hallmark signifies. I wish I knew where to go to research hallmarks and such. Maybe someone on line here can help me out with directions or something.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Hi Frodov, I really enjoy reading your post (everytime I come on-line, I go to see if there is a new post) it has a way of getting me motivated for detecting and finding the mystery find even though it's clad.
For finding out jewelry hallmark designs, did you try googling it. May come up with some good info sites, I had one before but don't remember where I found it. That is one beautiful peice of jewelry, my good or interesting things the I find I post the pictures on my blog.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Re: reply

~Audiz~ said:
Frodov said:
River Rat said:

Hi Frodov, I really enjoy reading your post (everytime I come on-line, I go to see if there is a new post) it has a way of getting me motivated for detecting and finding the mystery find even though it's clad.
For finding out jewelry hallmark designs, did you try googling it. May come up with some good info sites, I had one before but don't remember where I found it. That is one beautiful peice of jewelry, my good or interesting things the I find I post the pictures on my blog.

Thanks Audiz.. I'll try that. Thanks for the kind words as well. <blushing>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice lot finds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
RE: that bracelet, get a jeweler to check it. Silver it's not. White gold possible, might even be platinum. The hallmark you show is a British symbol of the royal crown over a lion. Probably from England.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Sacagawea ... and most finds !! congrats . :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Tuberale said:
RE: that bracelet, get a jeweler to check it. Silver it's not. White gold possible, might even be platinum. The hallmark you show is a British symbol of the royal crown over a lion. Probably from England.

I'll do that... although I suspect it's not really gold or silver for that matter, still though it is rather intricate for a bracelet, lots of small details in the set of the stones and all. <shrug> I just wonder if the hallmark is more for decoration than authentification. Only time and a good jeweler will tell. Thanks.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess the bracelet is foreign silver - If it's cheap cast or heavy plastic, why go through the trouble & put a hallmark on it, IMO.

Great finds! I look forward to the day when I finally have the time to get out and beat the brush! I am envious, Sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread