Driveway find, NOT what you might think.

wettpaint

Apr 9, 2009
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Just to let you know that you don't have to go very far to find the good stuff, at least that is what my wife is saying now.

My son, who will be 3 in July, wanted to go tecting this Sunday, so I thought that we would mess around in the yard for a little while.

There used to be a home place between my house and the road. I say "used to be" because when we built our place we cut the hill down around 5' and scattered the dirt over 3 acres.

Like I said my 2 yr old and I were working our way across the yard, a place we have hunted many times. Nothing notable mostly nails and other odd iron signals. I dig a plug and let him pick through it until he pulls out the find. Boy does he get excited for whatever he comes up with. Well this time we were crossing our gravel drive way and I get a 74 VDI on the MXT. Here I go hacking through the gravel. My drive is what we call “reclaimed concrete” it is mixture of what is dropped or leftover at the concrete plant from a concrete batch before the water is added. It has a lot of gravel, sand and cement. Needless to say it is quite hard. So here I go still hacking with my Fiskar garden knife trying to loosen it up enough for little man to come and dig up some “monies”. I cannot pinpoint it well, but the MXT keeps showing as a penny. Now time for the big guns, I go after the spade or “sharp shooter” whatever you want to call it. I start to ream out a pretty good hole, gravel is flying everywhere. I am going to find that penny before it is over with, there might not be anything left but little man is getting that penny. I get the hole pretty good size now, hit is again with the MXT and get an overload, What the heck??? An over for a penny, maybe a piece of copper pipe from the house during construction.

Getting discourage from the hacking and not finding that stinking penny or piece of pipe I stick the Fiskar in one more time and hit something metallic. I kind of poke it a time or two trying to find the edge so I can pry it out. And up pops this beauty. Boy was I surprised.
I put a small scratch on the back and nicked the edge when I pried it out of the drive but other than that it is in good condition.

It is amazing that I did not destroy in after moving all the dirt with a tractor and box blade and an old Cat D6 dozer, shaping my driveway twice adding gravel and other material both times. I have lived in this house for 5 years and never thought that my CS buckle was literally under my feet each time I walked to the mail box or drove to work.

Happy Hunting
Wettpaint

Attachments

• IMAG0135.jpg
    IMAG0135.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 4,360
  • IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 4,352
  • IMAG0137.jpg
    IMAG0137.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 4,353
  • IMAG0139.jpg
    IMAG0139.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 4,341
  • IMAG0141 small.jpg
    IMAG0141 small.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 4,328
Upvote 0

au4me1

Apr 28, 2010
Nice, The little guy should get all the credit of course. Keep on hunting. I mis those days with my little guy who will turn 20 years old soon.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that is unreal.... man what a find...kudos to you....

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wettpaint said:
It is an Honor to make the banner. Thank you everyone for your support.

For those who have asked here is a pic of the back of the plate.

I guess I will have to do more hunting to try to top this. I hope my wife understands.

Wettpaint

Thats a awesome find as I stated above.....Its missing all the lead out of the back though :-\, must've been melted down for bullets....It looks like attachment points were soldered on to the brass at some point AFTER the lead was melted out

OP
OP
wettpaint

wettpaint

Apr 9, 2009
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
{Sentinel} said:
wettpaint said:
It is an Honor to make the banner. Thank you everyone for your support.

For those who have asked here is a pic of the back of the plate.

I guess I will have to do more hunting to try to top this. I hope my wife understands.

Wettpaint

Thats a awesome find as I stated above.....Its missing all the lead out of the back though :-\, must've been melted down for bullets....It looks like attachment points were soldered on to the brass at some point AFTER the lead was melted out

Sentinel from what I can find they were made like this, I thought that they would be lead filled too. Here is a link to the one I think I have. http://www.relicman.com/plates/P0626.htm

Thanks to everyone for their support.

What is the best way to preserve and protect a buckle?

master mason

Apr 26, 2010
in a house
Detector(s) used
tesoro umax II fisher f 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mail it to me i'll put it in my display case and taa daa its done j/j super sweet buy the kid some candy for his help

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner for sure, Fantastic find!!! Congrats!!

HH, Ringfinder

joefriday22

May 25, 2010
Awesome find..congratulations.

I'm going CW relic hunting tomorrow in Richmond, Va. I have access to several hundred acres with two CW forts on the property and several battles were faught on and directly around the property. Some of the property is posted by the NPS but not much. The sad part is that there is a large field in the center of this area (about 75 acres) where some of the Confederate camps would have been. The field was mined for gravel a few years ago :BangHead: and so I always wonder how many relics ended up in people's driveways..I still find bullets, buttons, and cannonball shot in the field but I can't help but wonder what was taken away in dumptrucks..sad..

There are still cannon emplacements and trenches all over the property, really great place to MD

Take care,
Rob

OP
OP
wettpaint

wettpaint

Apr 9, 2009
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
joefriday22 said:
Awesome find..congratulations.

I'm going CW relic hunting tomorrow in Richmond, Va. I have access to several hundred acres with two CW forts on the property and several battles were faught on and directly around the property. Some of the property is posted by the NPS but not much. The sad part is that there is a large field in the center of this area (about 75 acres) where some of the Confederate camps would have been. The field was mined for gravel a few years ago :BangHead: and so I always wonder how many relics ended up in people's driveways..I still find bullets, buttons, and cannonball shot in the field but I can't help but wonder what was taken away in dumptrucks..sad..

There are still cannon emplacements and trenches all over the property, really great place to MD

Take care,
Rob

Thanks Rob...

If it was mined according to regulations the topsoil & overburden, the undesireable material above the gravel, should be on site somewhere, depending on how deep they had to go to get the gravel. Usually when gravel/sand or even dirt is excavated to be used offsite the topsoil & overburden is required to be kept and put back when the construction activities are finished. It might be worth it to look for the piles if they are noticeable. If it is an actual gravel "pit" then that might not be the case because a lot of times they will be turned into a lake or pond.

This weekend I am hunting a spot that will be used for a borrow pit for a construction project. I am hoping to get there before they disturb anything. I will hit it again after they stockpile the material just to see what they stirred up, and hopefully again after they spread the material back out. You never know what might get turned up.

Good luck with your spot
Wettpaint

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread