Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally made it back to the site where I found loads of coppers and the British Royal Regiment of Artillery buttons last year.

The first signal I got was a deep all metal signal with just a chirp from the discriminate channel of the V3. I scrubbed the ground with the coil and got a jumpy, but positive signal from the very mineralized soil. I dug a nice deep plug, but the target was still in the hole. I finally pinpointed it with my trusty Garrett Pro-pointer and out came a nice button. I knew there was some detail, but it was not until I got home and cleaned it that I could make out the inscriptions. The back mark "I. McGowan/Gerrard St. London dates this button to 1810.

P5190013a.JPG
P5190014.JPG

I went on to find 7 more buttons today, and all were toast with common back marks such as "Treble Gilt/London", etc.

I have found well over 100 buttons at the site, and all are toast with the exception of the two circa 1812 Royal Regiment buttons and this one. I cannot understand why I am finding British Gov't issue buttons from the early 1800's at this site. It is one mystery I will never solve.

I got out last Sunday to a nearby site with very few finds with the exception of the large Rosette (?) and some other relics.

P5190009.JPG

P5190011.JPG

P5190010.JPG

Upvote 0

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice button!! :thumbsup:

Hopefully this weekend I will have time to post my recent findings from the same place.

Also.. that little suspender looking thing to the left of the spoon, I found one exactly like it!! We should contact the farmer immediately and let him know his search is over. Oh wait... he's probably dead. :'(

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's the first one of those I've ever seen. Way to go! :hello2:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Neil , Great digs and rosette is a cool find !! Brit Customs button ??? :icon_scratch: I never see those , down here :dontknow: CMDdawg

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice button. Man you really cleaned up. :icon_thumright:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
A really cool button and some nice stuff. The one piece is a rosette. I believe all the solid brass ones like that are late 1800's

U

umrgolf

One heck of a sweet button you found Neil :headbang: Never seen one before which is what most are saying.. Like you were saying, some sites just don't make sense.. :thumbsup: seems like that one doesn't add up in a good way

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Neil. That button is sweeeeet! :icon_thumright:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil those are some really interesting finds ! The 1810 British customs button and the royal regiment buttons you found at that site are probably take home keepsakes/ booty from a veteran of the war of 1812 . The British took control of the customs house and shipping on the Penobscot river near Bangor during the war of 1812 to stem the export of ship building lumber to the other colonies .There was even a small battle fought over this Port with the British even firing their cannon. A British button of that era turns up on land here once in a while. If I were in a battle /skirmish and had a chance to take home an enemy combatants button as a keepsake I most certainly would ! Buttons still had trade value especially with the Indians for fur and fish in this day ! The phoenix trade button I found this week in Bangor is evidence of this, This is my theory anyways ! MaineRelic

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
MaineRelic said:
Neil those are some really interesting finds ! The 1810 British customs button and the royal regiment buttons you found at that site are probably take home keepsakes/ booty from a veteran of the war of 1812 . The British took control of the customs house and shipping on the Penobscot river near Bangor during the war of 1812 to stem the export of ship building lumber to the other colonies .There was even a small battle fought over this Port with the British even firing their cannon. A British button of that era turns up on land here once in a while. If I were in a battle /skirmish and had a chance to take home an enemy combatants button as a keepsake I most certainly would ! Buttons still had trade value especially with the Indians for fur and fish in this day ! The phoenix trade button I found this week in Bangor is evidence of this, This is my theory anyways ! MaineRelic

Due to the nature of the site I am detecting, I am not sure if it was a take home keepsake. It was a very heavily traveled site that had something to do with the trafficking of escaped slaves. I am looking into the role of the British regarding slave traffic in the early 19th century in this part of NJ.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
MaineRelic said:

Due to the nature of the site I am detecting, I am not sure if it was a take home keepsake. It was a very heavily traveled site that had something to do with the trafficking of escaped slaves. I am looking into the role of the British regarding slave traffic in the early 19th century in this part of NJ.
Aah ! You already have a theory of how the buttons came to be there ! Is the heavilly traveled site headed to a port ? The reason I ask is Maine's major role in the underground railroad was recieving slaves hidden on ships from the more southern states.Bangor boasts that it was the Lumber capital of the world and one of the bussiest ports in the Country in the early to late 1800's . We do have 1 Documented underground railroad House Site along the river in Brewer Maine, Just across the river from Bangor. Just a possible research angle for you . MaineRelic

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
MaineRelic said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
MaineRelic said:

Aah ! You already have a theory of how the buttons came to be there ! Is the heavilly traveled site headed to a port ? The reason I ask is Maine's major role in the underground railroad was recieving slaves hidden on ships from the more southern states.Bangor boasts that it was the Lumber capital of the world and one of the bussiest ports in the Country in the early to late 1800's . We do have 1 Documented underground railroad House Site along the river in Brewer Maine, Just across the river from Bangor. Just a possible research angle for you . MaineRelic

Without going into too much detail, 8) the site is on the banks of what was once an important waterway. If one looks closely enough, the remains of an old narrow road leads up from the water's edge through the forest toward a spot that has been documented as a stop on the Underground Railroad. There are marker stones every 50 feet or so that may have been helpful for people to find there way in the dark.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very awesome button!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice digs man! awesome button!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread