Beach finds in Kentucky

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Beach finds in Kentucky

Greetings one and all. I’m writing this post as the thunder rolls in with another storm swiftly approaching. I’m hoping I can get this written and posted before the power gets knocked out as it often does whenever a storm like this moves through. There have been tornadoes west of here (in the direction that this storm is approaching from)... and we are currently under a severe thunderstorm warning for my area. Oh Joy! It’s been raining off and on all day here in Lexington and surrounding communities... not very conducive to metal detecting to be sure. Luckily, yesterday was not so bad, and it’s yesterday’s hunt that I’m writing about with this post.
As I’ve been doing for the last couple of hunts, I detected out at a local park where they just had a big soccer tournament last weekend. I neglected to mention that there was also a “sheep dog” or stock dog trial or competition at the same park earlier that week. Of course they brought in their own crowds to watch the herd dogs run the sheep through their paces, complete with concession stands and souvenirs.
I have yet to detect the actual playing fields (soccer fields) that the tournament played on, but I’ve detected the grass parking areas and the sidelines of the fields including the concession stand areas, as well as the same sort of areas for the sheep dog trials. Not surprisingly I found a lot of trash. *sigh* It’s amazing just how seemingly thoughtless or careless people can be in large groups like that. It’s like the more people there are the less they care about niceties like putting trash in garbage cans and what not. Fortunately these same shameless and careless people tend to lose a lot of pocket change at these get togethers. And who better to “clean up” behind them than yours truly? <smile> I do bother to put most of the can slaw and pull tabs and other trash in the nearest receptacles while I’m detecting, but I always manage to pack some home with me in my finds bag too.

Trash.JPG

Most of the trash in the picture is of the dug up variety, the stuff on the surface usually gets eighty sixed in the nearest can. There was other “stuff” I dug up too, probably mostly trash as well, but some things just make you rock back on your heels and say “huh!” Like the little bit of the BEACH that I dug up yesterday. I know it’s just a cheap souvenir key chain, but it’s from my wife and I’s favorite vacation get away spot. Myrtle Beach South Carolina. I couldn’t go to the beach, so the beach came to me! Cool !

Stuff.JPG

More trash and more trash and more “huh?” I’m not sure what this disk looking thing is, some sort of sprinkler head, or a bike bell perhaps? (doubtful) not sure really. There was a skeletal fram/grip of a pocket knife, a little pendant or token ring thingy with the word “LIVE” on it, and a car key that someone dropped... several years ago. All of these things were dug up, not surface finds as I was expecting to “clean up”

Stuff2.JPG

There were coins of course... LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of coins. And there again, I was expecting to find most of it on the surface because of the recent crowds out at the park, but to my surprise, the majority of them were under the grass roots, not recently dropped. Oh obviously there had been people there before who dropped said coins just as I had suspected the more recent crowds had done, I just discovered and recovered them this time around. Not that I mind, I’m not too proud to dig up a coin, even pennies. I guess my willingness to do a little digging paid off too.

Clad.JPG

My clad counts were very nice indeed! Not so much I’ll be retiring anytime soon, but a nice little addition to the vacation fund for the next trip... perhaps to the beach! Myrtle Beach... South Carolina !!! Yeah! That’s the ticket!
Keep your heads down if you’re having weather like I’m having at the moment... if not... Get out and have some fun this weekend. I have to work all weekend, but that’s normal. As always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Bootybay said:
No matter where you are, you always kick butt in the clad count... as always, excellent hunt.

Well I don't know about *ME* kicking butt, but often times I feel like I've been kicked in the butt the day after a hunt... Guess I'm not as limber and flexible or young as I used to be. <grin> My wife calls me hard headed and stuborn. Maybe that's why I dig so much clad, I get started and I just don't know when to stop. <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread