Beach finds in Kentucky

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Beach finds in Kentucky

Greetings one and all. I’m writing this post as the thunder rolls in with another storm swiftly approaching. I’m hoping I can get this written and posted before the power gets knocked out as it often does whenever a storm like this moves through. There have been tornadoes west of here (in the direction that this storm is approaching from)... and we are currently under a severe thunderstorm warning for my area. Oh Joy! It’s been raining off and on all day here in Lexington and surrounding communities... not very conducive to metal detecting to be sure. Luckily, yesterday was not so bad, and it’s yesterday’s hunt that I’m writing about with this post.
As I’ve been doing for the last couple of hunts, I detected out at a local park where they just had a big soccer tournament last weekend. I neglected to mention that there was also a “sheep dog” or stock dog trial or competition at the same park earlier that week. Of course they brought in their own crowds to watch the herd dogs run the sheep through their paces, complete with concession stands and souvenirs.
I have yet to detect the actual playing fields (soccer fields) that the tournament played on, but I’ve detected the grass parking areas and the sidelines of the fields including the concession stand areas, as well as the same sort of areas for the sheep dog trials. Not surprisingly I found a lot of trash. *sigh* It’s amazing just how seemingly thoughtless or careless people can be in large groups like that. It’s like the more people there are the less they care about niceties like putting trash in garbage cans and what not. Fortunately these same shameless and careless people tend to lose a lot of pocket change at these get togethers. And who better to “clean up” behind them than yours truly? <smile> I do bother to put most of the can slaw and pull tabs and other trash in the nearest receptacles while I’m detecting, but I always manage to pack some home with me in my finds bag too.

Trash.JPG

Most of the trash in the picture is of the dug up variety, the stuff on the surface usually gets eighty sixed in the nearest can. There was other “stuff” I dug up too, probably mostly trash as well, but some things just make you rock back on your heels and say “huh!” Like the little bit of the BEACH that I dug up yesterday. I know it’s just a cheap souvenir key chain, but it’s from my wife and I’s favorite vacation get away spot. Myrtle Beach South Carolina. I couldn’t go to the beach, so the beach came to me! Cool !

Stuff.JPG

More trash and more trash and more “huh?” I’m not sure what this disk looking thing is, some sort of sprinkler head, or a bike bell perhaps? (doubtful) not sure really. There was a skeletal fram/grip of a pocket knife, a little pendant or token ring thingy with the word “LIVE” on it, and a car key that someone dropped... several years ago. All of these things were dug up, not surface finds as I was expecting to “clean up”

Stuff2.JPG

There were coins of course... LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of coins. And there again, I was expecting to find most of it on the surface because of the recent crowds out at the park, but to my surprise, the majority of them were under the grass roots, not recently dropped. Oh obviously there had been people there before who dropped said coins just as I had suspected the more recent crowds had done, I just discovered and recovered them this time around. Not that I mind, I’m not too proud to dig up a coin, even pennies. I guess my willingness to do a little digging paid off too.

Clad.JPG

My clad counts were very nice indeed! Not so much I’ll be retiring anytime soon, but a nice little addition to the vacation fund for the next trip... perhaps to the beach! Myrtle Beach... South Carolina !!! Yeah! That’s the ticket!
Keep your heads down if you’re having weather like I’m having at the moment... if not... Get out and have some fun this weekend. I have to work all weekend, but that’s normal. As always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

LOL, lots of clad there my dear. The key is especially nice! What do you suppose it's worth :laughing9:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Felinepeachy said:
LOL, lots of clad there my dear. The key is especially nice! What do you suppose it's worth :laughing9:

Worth the effort to dig it up, but that's about all I suppose. Just another addition to my growing collection of found keys. <smile>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

U

umrgolf

Ok, you've finally hooked me.. I'm writing this because I see how much grueling effort and time you put into your posts.. I also try to do the same, and even though we hunt different types of areas, pretty nice to see someone who takes pride in writing out a nice thought out story and pictures w/ explanations.. Who knows how long it takes you to stack all that change in a straight line ??? :laughing7: Ok, I'm done now, but just wanted to give you a big congrats on your hard work and many posts well done :thumbsup: Jeff

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500GTI/Minelab Explorer SE
The Road in front of Buster's (Manchester St, lexington) is torn up. There is also a larger section torn up south? of They are building some sort of bridge. Might be worth a look after hours or on a quiet Sunday :) I don't have my machine with me or I'd be out giving it a once over. I did pick up about $1.00 in clad just looking around.

Attachments

• IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 1,003

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a pretty good hunt! You passed my coin amount for all this year with one hunt. congrats! :icon_thumleft:

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Great hunt. I noticed your nickle count is a bit low. Are you running on discriminate? You might want to check it. If you aren't getting nickle hits, you might be missing some small gold. You will definitely be missing some of the junk jewelry that should be out there.

Please don't think I am criticizing, I just hate to see someone who obviously digs it all miss the best stuff.

Good Luck!

-Fathead

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
umrgolf2000 said:
Ok, you've finally hooked me.. I'm writing this because I see how much grueling effort and time you put into your posts.. I also try to do the same, and even though we hunt different types of areas, pretty nice to see someone who takes pride in writing out a nice thought out story and pictures w/ explanations.. Who knows how long it takes you to stack all that change in a straight line ??? :laughing7: Ok, I'm done now, but just wanted to give you a big congrats on your hard work and many posts well done :thumbsup: Jeff

<grinning> It takes little to no time at all to stack all that coin to take a picture.. actually the picture is incidental as I'm stacking in preparation to rolling the coins up in wrappers for a deposit or saving to make a deposit. Now digging them all is a different story, but you already know what's involved with that. <smile> \

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
fathead said:
Great hunt. I noticed your nickle count is a bit low. Are you running on discriminate? You might want to check it. If you aren't getting nickle hits, you might be missing some small gold. You will definitely be missing some of the junk jewelry that should be out there.

Please don't think I am criticizing, I just hate to see someone who obviously digs it all miss the best stuff.

Good Luck!

-Fathead

Actually I usually only discriminate out the iron setting on my machine (Whites Prizm IV), often times however I don't even discriminate out that much if I'm in an open field like say a soccer field. Yeah, there is a distinct disparity in the number of nickels I find it seems, but I *DO* dig those nickel signals even when they turn out to be predominantly pull tabs and can slaw. That's not to say that I'm not missing stuff, hell I keep finding stuff at the same parks that I've been over time and time again, and that includes digging up signals from 1 to 4, 5, 6 inches deep. It's amazing how much a little rain can do to change the soil conditions and it's "detectability" huh? Anyway, I'll keep swinging.. I'm having a blast!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
allen said:
I thought maybe you decided to detect the beach at Boonesborough Frodov !
Nice assortment of goodies !!

Actually, Allen, tried that early on in my metal detecting ambitions... only to be informed, politely I might add, by a State Parks Ranger that it's ILLEGAL ! Detecting on State Parks grounds is against the law. Sucks, but it's true. I was told that the law can and will go so far as to confiscate your equipment, including your vehicle, and incarceration as well as a rather hefty fine. As I was ignorant of that law and very forthcoming with information and intent, the ranger let me off with a warning and even a suggestion or two for places that I might go and LEGALLY check out. Allways cooperate with the law and officers of the law. Carry not only your identification, but maybe a "business" card with your name, address and contact information on it to leave with them or whoever you might meet and chat with while out detecting... you never know what kind of contacts you might make when you are out and about. Understand that the Rangers, or police officers or even security guards are only doing their jobs.
After my eye opening experience with that particularly nice Parks Ranger at Boonsborough, I've made it a point to look up any local ordinances or laws in the towns and places I look at to metal detect in.. FIRST! Not everyone is going to be as nice or polite I should think.
With that all said and done... I probably wouldn't have had much luck at the beach at Boonsborough anyway. The beach isn't used much at all anymore due to swimming prohibitions and the new pool there at the park, not to mention that the river floods so often that the beach is pretty well eroded away to just a sand bar really. *sigh* Probably have better luck at the camp grounds just down the road a bit from the park itself. <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The important thing is that you made a lot of coins to the tornado ........ Man against nature, but be careful that they do not always win. :-\
Good hunting! :thumbsup:

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know all about the beaches of Boonesborough, I ran into the same
trouble about five years ago and was told the same thing by a ranger.
Now fast forward about 3 years and me and my oldest brother was bass
fishing right above the lock/dam and was told by a ranger we was not
allowed within like 100 foot of the lock/dam because of new regulations.
Both instances we was giving a warning, which is always better than the
other options that you talked about in your post !
Have a great day,
Allen

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds. :icon_thumleft:

:wink: RR

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
Frodov said:
Felinepeachy said:

Worth the effort to dig it up, but that's about all I suppose. Just another addition to my growing collection of found keys. <smile>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Chrysler 8 cut key cut from a machine typically found at Wal-Mart. :laughing7:

Dicks Lock Service

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
dick99344 said:
Frodov said:
Felinepeachy said:

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Chrysler 8 cut key cut from a machine typically found at Wal-Mart. :laughing7:

Dicks Lock Service

Thanks Dick! <smiling> I knew someone online here would know how much it was or wasn't worth. No matter though, it was still fun to find all the same.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter where you are, you always kick butt in the clad count... as always, excellent hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread