Gold Poesy ring UPDATED!! Date CONFIRMED by The British Museum!!

U

umrgolf

UPDATE- After exchanging emails with The British Museum for a second opinion, they were able to date the ring by the maker's mark "1G" The maker was John Greene I, active goldsmith 1630-1663. Here is the confirmation info for anyone interested.. (click on the photo to enlarge the mark) Also, if you look at the writing on the inscription of the ring in this link, it looks strikingly familiar :thumbsup:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...on_database/museum_no__provenance_search.aspx

This started Saturday 5/22 at a CW campsite my partner and I had been hunting for the last month or so.. Up until that morning, nothing colonial had been found. The 1640 copper was the first of these finds to be recovered and never thought I could find anything that would compare. Then Monday, I obtained permission at the adjacent property and started out finding a few CW buttons and bullets.. About 2 hours into the hunt I got a signal bouncing between 68-72. Five inches below was the 1666 Spanish Cob (potosi mint, pillars and waves.. the 66 of 1666 is upside down and can be seen on the side with the cross).. No more than 2 hours later I was tired of wandering around and decided to head back to the area where the cob came from. On my way, I got a weak mid 40's signal that was only hitting in one direction. No more than 6 inches down was the posy ring. Fast forward to Wednesday.. My partner (Sentinel) took me to one of his honey holes.. The first find was the 1773 VA halfpenny. The signal was horrible, hitting mid 50's and iron in the opposite direction. As the day was coming to an end, I got a signal that was in the range of a 3 ringer, maybe a couple numbers higher.. I was pretty happy to see a silver disc come out of the hole. After walking over to show Josh what I thought was a Spanish milled reale, we soon realized that it was something much different. It turned out to be a 1697 King William III shilling.

Here are some new pics from last 3 hunts, showing the reverses as well.. and the pictures of the inscription, the halfpenny I left as seen in the last photo below
IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

the god
IMG_0010.JPG

of peace
IMG_0007.JPG

our love
IMG_0013.JPG

increase
IMG_0017.JPG

the copper on the left side of the pic is a 1773 VA halfpenny which was the only year they were minted (in London) and roughly 600,000 total
IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Re: 1697 King William III Shilling & 1773 Virginia Halfpenny

BuckleBoy said:
As a good friend, I was THRILLED to get phone calls from you. Only trouble is--the sites you hunt, I can't ever get anything done. As soon as I get done talking to you about one great find, you're calling me with another! :D

Seriously though, THREE 1600s coins in five days in the US is one HELLUVA week! :hello2:

That posy ring should be on the banner. I have never heard of one being found in the US.

Cheers,

Buckles

Thanks again for sharing the excitement :thumbsup: you'd better call me tomorrow upon the recovery of every great find

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very nice finds!!!!! MR TUFF

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just can't get over this post. I love that photo of the handfull of goodies. 1600's Copper, 1600s SILVER, and 1600s GOLD all in the same week! You're on FIRE!!

:headbang:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok you didnt make it on the banner with the ring and cob, but this collection you have here should make it. You are on a killer site Jeff. Cant wait to see what you will turn up next. :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very nice, well done on the digs. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

mainer said:
Ok you didnt make it on the banner with the ring and cob, but this collection you have here should make it. You are on a killer site Jeff. Cant wait to see what you will turn up next. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jesse :thumbsup:

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE

That posy ring should be on the banner.

There is some black magic about those posey rings. Interesting as they are with some gold of a motto in olde English, still they cannot make it to the banner :dontknow: :icon_scratch:.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

SPONNIE73

Jun 1, 2006
Hanover, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Nautilus 2B, F75 LTD

Can’t find anything to say but WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!

Fantastic finds man! I think I need to visit my relatives near Leesburg soon before you grab all the good stuff! ;D Congrats on a great haul of oldies!

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Butler said:
Fantastic finds man! I think I need to visit my relatives near Leesburg soon before you grab all the good stuff! ;D Congrats on a great haul of oldies!

Oh there's plenty to be had up that way too. Have fun while you're here. Hope you can get into something good :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

enjoy the pic

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

I've never had a William shilling that good, an absolute beauty :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:It wasn't long off the ship before being lost, judging by it's condition !!.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_pirat: :o , Jeff ..I think that is the best Va halfpenny ,ever dug 8) Wm .shilling is also a great one .. quite a picture of great stuff :headbang: CMDdawg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

robfinds said:
I've never had a William shilling that good, an absolute beauty :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:It wasn't long off the ship before being lost, judging by it's condition !!.

I was going to say similar, although Dad had a pretty good one & I have had the odd one pretty close, its still a rare find in the UK. More chance of a 16th century hammered :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

CRUSADER said:
robfinds said:

I was going to say similar, although Dad had a pretty good one & I have had the odd one pretty close, its still a rare find in the UK. More chance of a 16th century hammered :icon_thumright:

Thanks, I think these are all pretty common finds here in the US. :D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf2010 said:
CRUSADER said:
robfinds said:

Thanks, I think these are all pretty common finds here in the US. :D

yeah, just like that tatty gold ring :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread