Gold Poesy ring UPDATED!! Date CONFIRMED by The British Museum!!

U

umrgolf

UPDATE- After exchanging emails with The British Museum for a second opinion, they were able to date the ring by the maker's mark "1G" The maker was John Greene I, active goldsmith 1630-1663. Here is the confirmation info for anyone interested.. (click on the photo to enlarge the mark) Also, if you look at the writing on the inscription of the ring in this link, it looks strikingly familiar :thumbsup:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...on_database/museum_no__provenance_search.aspx

This started Saturday 5/22 at a CW campsite my partner and I had been hunting for the last month or so.. Up until that morning, nothing colonial had been found. The 1640 copper was the first of these finds to be recovered and never thought I could find anything that would compare. Then Monday, I obtained permission at the adjacent property and started out finding a few CW buttons and bullets.. About 2 hours into the hunt I got a signal bouncing between 68-72. Five inches below was the 1666 Spanish Cob (potosi mint, pillars and waves.. the 66 of 1666 is upside down and can be seen on the side with the cross).. No more than 2 hours later I was tired of wandering around and decided to head back to the area where the cob came from. On my way, I got a weak mid 40's signal that was only hitting in one direction. No more than 6 inches down was the posy ring. Fast forward to Wednesday.. My partner (Sentinel) took me to one of his honey holes.. The first find was the 1773 VA halfpenny. The signal was horrible, hitting mid 50's and iron in the opposite direction. As the day was coming to an end, I got a signal that was in the range of a 3 ringer, maybe a couple numbers higher.. I was pretty happy to see a silver disc come out of the hole. After walking over to show Josh what I thought was a Spanish milled reale, we soon realized that it was something much different. It turned out to be a 1697 King William III shilling.

Here are some new pics from last 3 hunts, showing the reverses as well.. and the pictures of the inscription, the halfpenny I left as seen in the last photo below
IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

the god
IMG_0010.JPG

of peace
IMG_0007.JPG

our love
IMG_0013.JPG

increase
IMG_0017.JPG

the copper on the left side of the pic is a 1773 VA halfpenny which was the only year they were minted (in London) and roughly 600,000 total
IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a ring that is a find of a life time here in the USA , Pilgrim with out question :thumbsup: Dd60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread