Navy Jets in Residential Yard + Oldest Wood School House in US

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Amazing the things you come across...I was on the way into St. Augustine, Fla and did a double take when I saw all these aging jets in a lot in a residential neighborhood. Strangest thing to see...so I took some photos for the forum. Anyone know details on the era of these? I only know it's Navy since one says it on the side. Also took one of the oldest wood school -- detectors not allowed I'm sure...thanks to Earthworks for sizing these photos.

Attachments

• staug3.jpg
    staug3.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 962
  • staug2.jpg
    staug2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 962
  • staug1.jpg
    staug1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 966
  • staug.jpg
    staug.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 952
Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEP....always look around home. I have been making trips of an hour or hour and a half.....and then, within
10 minutes of my house I see a castle wall......about 1,000 years old according to the sign, plus a Confucian
school, about 400 years old.....and the county seat.....the old county seat dating back just after the school.
Don't have to go far......here in Korea....to find some pretty old stuff. And in the States too, seems like. :thumbsup:

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, you found the lost squadron of S2 trackers.
They were the predecessor to the AE6, around end of WWII all the way through the eighties I believe.

Paddywagn

Greenie
Jan 20, 2009
St. Peters MO
Detector(s) used
M-6
Wow, those aren't aging gracefully!

As stated above those are probably US-2 Trackers made by Grumman in the 50's for anti-sub and marine patrol. They were replaced eventually with the S-3 Vikings.
I have logged some hours and arrested landings on carriers in a close relative, the C1-A Tracker. Brings back some memories!
Also those were recipricating radial engines that powered them, not jet.
HH,
Gary

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they are S-2 Trackers. Service from 1952-1976 in the US Navy. Anti-submarine warfare and patrol. Carrier based. Look at these old planes for the: tail hook (extreme aft - centerline), smoke marker and sonobuoy chutes (launch holes) aft of engines and belly of aircraft, Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD) extreme center fuselage aft...looks like a stinger out the back, and extendable metal detector really. (looks for variations in the earths lines of flux, ie large ferrous objects or ships and subs)

My first CO flew in these as a sonar operator. I flew with him in '88 in SH-2F Helicpters which did the same mission plus Search and Rescue and light combat.

Some are still used in the forestry service for fire fighting. (See pic)

can you tell me what street these are on. I would love to check them out. Oh- there is one painted up nice and pretty on base NAS Jacksonville.

Cheers!

Attachments

• S2[1].jpg
    S2[1].jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 583
OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks for the info - they are located on U.S. one on the west side as you are heading from Jacksonville to St. Augustine, they are just as you are coming to St. Augustine maybe a few miles before you get to town, not sure exactly where the town starts. I don't have a street name, but it's pretty easy to see on the service road across the railroad tracks next to U.S. 1 on west side. There's some type of police or sheriff station about 150 yards away that is a good landmark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread