First Gold Ring (Updated: Found sterling silver ring same area!)

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt like such a boob when I posted that I had maybe found some more silver and it turned out to be pewter that when I dug up this ring today I had to make sure it was stamped. It's only 10K but I'm pretty sure it's gold. The "stones" on top I am almost 99% sure are nothing to write home about - probably some decorative glass or something - but the sparkle nicely.

Nothing spectacular in the coins - but starting out with a couple quarters was fun for me! Then the costume jewelry trickled in - broken pieces - and more nickels than usual. The ring popped out last and then I went in to work. Ran some water over it and took my 10X lens to it and saw the "10K" stamp on the inside of the band and it made my day. :)

Thanks for looking-

Attachments

• may 27th group shot.jpg
    may 27th group shot.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 1,196
  • junk group 1.jpg
    junk group 1.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 1,173
  • gold ring 1.jpg
    gold ring 1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,202
  • gold ring 2.jpg
    gold ring 2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,199
  • gold ring stamp.jpg
    gold ring stamp.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,187
Upvote 0

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Congrats... You are making a real dent in that treasure jar. Goes to show that hard work and time truly pays off.

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Interesting. I've never seen a ring with such a big 'attachment'. It's hard to tell whether stones are attached to a band or vice versa ??? I don't understand much in jewellery but I believe it's cocktail ring of 1950's. Check it with some jeweller. Maybe the stones are zircons or something else. Congrats on the ring :hello2:

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to have this checked out and stopped in at a pawn shop - the sales associate did a quick test and said the gold was real but the stones were not. She also offered me $50 bucks, but I declined as I would rather hold on to it for now. That and I wanted to find out how old it was first. (tuatara - I'll bring it to a jeweler and see what they can tell me. Thanks for the clues on the cocktail ring search avenue!)

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful ring-congratz!

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, I like that old jack. I forgot all about those.

Eyeballing the stones I would lean towards them not being diamonds, but, that is a great hunk of gold!

Nice work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread