Newbies first finds

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Newbie's first finds

Nothing cool like what I see people posting but at least I have figured out how to find stuff. My first find was a bottle screw top and the rest was: nail, a piece of rusty metal (about 5 inches long), the metal part of a small gardening hoe, and a metal lid (maybe aluminum).

There's just gotta be something really cool in my yard since this house was built in 1847 and started out a school house. I am so excited I actually found something, though, even if just garbage.

I am also excited I get to post here!!! 8)

Cheryl

Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Newbie's first finds

Welcome to the forum.Your gonna have alot of fun here.Keep diggin and postin.Good luck, HH.

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky

what kind of detector are you swinging. just keep it up and before you know it the good stuff will start poping out of the ground. :)

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome Cheryl ......Glad you like the site and finds you see in it....soon you will to be posting things that you find and believe me once you get the hang of the machine your using , You will start finding those cool items and coins....the items you found is what ever new detctorist finds when they first start going out......But with your house being the age it is....Those deep low sounds just might surprise you !!! Good Luck..... :)

bryan

Feb 7, 2006
Southern Illinois

welcome to the forum.... im sure that there are some finds there... keep searching you will find something

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It is fun, isn't it...welcome and congrats on your first finds!

HH!
TBGO

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Welcome to the forum Cheryl...sound's like you don't have to go too far.1847...keep diggin' and HH!!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Stick with it, Cheryl, and you'll start finding the good stuff. :)

What kind of detector are you using?

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cheryl,

Welcome to the forum...best of luck & happy hunting :)

J

Joe (Memphis)

here is a tip to keep from getting overwelmed and just swinging the coil haphazardly all over the place. I went to Walmart, got some plastic tent stakes and some colored string, attached 15' of string with a loop on the end to each stake, and can now grid off 15' squares. Instead of swinging about, I can concentrate on a small area and get all of the targets out of it. It seems to keep me "focused" better. Hey, you have all the time you need to clean that place out... its YOURS!! Happy Hunting!!
Joe

OP
OP
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Thanks everybody!! I put what MD I use in the (I think) signature line of my posts. Garrett Ace 250 is doing good for me.

I appreciate the encouragement to keep at it. Woke up to snow on the ground and cold temps but it is suppose to be in the 60's on Friday and Saturday so I am hoping to make it out then.

Thanks again.
Cheryl

OP
OP
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Newbie's first finds SIDE NOTE

One thing I forgot to mention is that while I was focusing on metal detecting a dog comes running up, one I have never seen before. I remembered the post about the dogs that someone on this forum encountered and was glad that this one seemed nice like he just was seeing what I was doing. Anyway, I was a bit distressed for a few seconds until I knew he was just there out of curiosity.

HH
Cheryl

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina

cheryl, welcome to a great hobby and forum. keep us posted on your finds. Like others here have said if you have any questions feel free to ask
hh
dave+bobbie

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident

welcome cheryl and congrats on a start,...i lived in a 80 year old house and when i started swinging the same spot,but from different angles stuff started pouring out of the ground,and after a rain is a good time also.keep diggin.

Waco Kid

Apr 21, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Cheryl, I'm a newbie like you and so far am also finding only junk. My house was built in 1972, so there's probably very little chance I'll find something really neat, but I'm nonetheless enjoying getting the feel for my detector (also an Ace 250). As for dog interference problems, the only one I've got is my own dog (a lab) who thinks she needs to help with every hole I dig. I'm spending about half of my time trying to push her snout back out of the hole so I can keep digging! Welcome, and happy hunting!

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.

Welcome Cheryl, don't give up, theres lots of treasure out there and theres lots of trash out there. Keep swinging, and good luck on your next hunts.

Ken

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No one said it first so I will. You have to dig the trash to find the good stuff. Having an ACE 250 as my backup I know what that little machine is capable of and you will find some really good things at that site I guarantee. If I were you I would set it up in the jewelry mode and run it that way. In a site with that much history you might miss something really worthwhile if you run it in the coin mode. Turn your sensitivity back to 4 notches at first and when you get most of the shallow junk out of the way you can turn up the sensitivity to about six notches. Go over the same spots and you should be able to find the deeper signals in the 8" or deeper range without the junk interfering. Be sure to run your coil along any old cement or brick walkways. I find bunches of overlooked coins in those areas. I say along old ones because many of the newer ones have rebars and you will need the small stinger coil to search along them. Rebars interfere with your signals from the machine. I'd use that first recommended mode setting for the chips or sand on a playground also, but no need to go back over it a second time. Having been there and done that I know these simple tips will help you get off to a better start. Feel free to ask if you run into a problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread