indians create happy camper but an aching back

hoosierfinds

Dec 14, 2005
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I saw in our 1880 county atlas that they seem to put a little dot on the map where farm house/building locations were. A mile south of my present home was a dot with no current house located on the land. Found the land owner, who knew little about it, but got permission to search the property about 500 yards off the road. There is a large foundation for a dirt bank barn around which the present owners have created their own dump and lawn wast dump. The only sign of a house was a rock-lined well at the top of a hill about 100 yards south of the barn foundation.. scary..though it had a piece of sheet metal partially covering it. There is also a 10-foot wide depression next to the well which had a few large rusty cans in it. If the house was there, it has been gone for a long time. Trees have grown and fallen and tall shrubs with overhanging branches cover the area. The "structures" were all on U-shaped hillside land with the farm land surrounding. Bottom line.......... I spent about 3 and a half hours searching. Got some shot gun shell bases, a couple pieces of smaller bullet brass casings, and the following pennies. The 1901 indian was ON TOP of the soil, just resting under some leaves!!!!!!!! All the pennies were several yards to the West of the well and depression, so I'm thinking the house stood between the depression/well and the pennies. I've covered the area immediately around the well and to the West of it. Bending over almost constantly for 3 hours to get through the brush and reach my XLT under the shrubs played hell with my back, but it was worth it.

Attachments

• Feb 27 pennies.jpg
    Feb 27 pennies.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 549
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And in nice condition, congrats on the IHs! HH, mike

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hoo, those are some nice indians. It pays to look through those old county atlases. That my main source of research.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nice looking chiefs you got there, they look as if they avoided the plow blades over the years. Nice finds, sure hope your back makes a speedy recovery so you can hunt again another day. Surely those two indian boys had another brother or two out there just waiting for you to come back and find them too.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait until it comes a good soaking rain and then go back over that spot. Something about that wet ground makes those coins glow.

Kermit

Mar 4, 2004
Good start Hoozier! I just started on a site I found the same way. Two hours of hunting resulted in a small button, two wheaties, and a copper button. My finds came from a field and don,t look anywhere near as good as your,s.

HH, Wooly

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I can relate to the aching back..LOL....it looks like you have found a great spot to hunt....dont fall down the well!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job on the coin's,sound's like you did a little homework...congrat'sand HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread