My first day out with the Sovereign. Can you all share your settings?

Fatbat

Greenie
Jan 20, 2006
Costa del Sol, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Sorry, this is sort of a double post from the Beaches and Surf category. I figured I might get some more feadback from this forum since it gets a bit more traffic.

I bought a Sovereign GT from the Minelab dealer in Madrid last week. On my first day out on the beach, my first day detecting, I found a lot of junk. Loads of pulltabs, nails, screws, bottle caps, aluminum foil, cans, etc. etc. etc.

However I did come up with 11.30 in Euros and an older Pesetas Spanish coin. Found 4 x 2 and a single Euro in one spot, someone must've lost a pocket full of change.

Anyways, as in the other post, if there is anyone here using a Sovereign here that would be so kind as to share their settings, I would be truly grateful.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fatbat

Fatbat

Greenie
Jan 20, 2006
Costa del Sol, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Hehe, thanks for the feedback! I would have taken a pict, maybe should have for posterity it being my first day out and all, but I thought y'all would know what some Euro clad looks like :) As for the trash, I bagged it up and binned it properly.

edit: Boy am I sore today! Part of the reason I picked up the detector was to do something interesting to get out of the house and away from the computer, instead of just going for a plain old walk. Mission accomplished there. Legs and arms are hurting big time but I really had fun and can't wait to get out again.

60+ reads and no one will share their Sovereign settings? A bit in the dark about trying to screen out the aluminum foil and pull tabs... then again, if I dig it all, I can't miss anything important and I do my part cleaning the beaches. Still, when I put it in disc mode, it doesn't see a 2 pence test piece, but still finds the aluminum. It's a bit frustrating.

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee
Fatbat,
Sorry, but I don't have any ID # for sov. minelab, I could tell you alot about the quattro.
You'll figure it out with practice. The masters suggest you create a detector garden with different items planted at different depths ( with id's on the surface so you know what it is ,use non metal markers). make sure the items are at least 3 feet apart so they don't interfer with each other and do not sweep over more than 1 target at a time, if the sov. is like the quattro it takes a few seconds to adjust between targets. It takes alot of practice to ID good targets, many factors are present. ( sometimes if you come across a large iron object it will initially id as a good target, but with many sweeps from different angles it then becomes silent , most likely its no good, depends on what you're discriminating) good repeatable targets are what you are after.Some deep objects require alot of patience to pinpoint. Do not rely on the pinpointing on the detector, in pinpointing it will pick up anything, only in areas with no trash does it work well.
Listen to the sounds and the repeatable sounds--Thats what you want to listen for!!

Good luck, hope this helps,

Smartin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread