THE MOTHER OR ALL SHIELD NICKELS!!!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this shield nickel today. I am having trouble typing right now. The date is legible..My camera is having trouble picking up the details. Wish my HD camera was working. I have dug 1 shield nickel and 4 V-Nickels from a 20 ft square..Today when this one came out I could see the shield and knew it was a shield Nickel. I had no Idea it was 1 of 16,000 minted..May I introduce you to my best coin to date... I won't be cleaning this one.

The 1880 Shield Nickel
1 of 16,000 Minted in 1880
IMG_2074.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery and save. What a wonderful and fun find. Who cares the value it is the rarity that counts. You are the man!!
It sure looks nice up there on the podium. :notworthy:
Congratulations sir.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the nastiest looking coin I have ever seen on the BANNER ! I Love it !! Congradulations on the holy grail of shield nickels !! MaineRelic

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been in the ground for along time. Seeing the light of day for the first time since it was dropped many years ago. I am honored to have a find up top. 1 of 16,000. That's amazing. Thanks to everyone.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We needed a GREAT nickel on the Finds Banner! AWESOME COIN! :hello2:

-Buckles

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Buckleboy.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome man! a HUGE congrats to ya! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will soon be with another owner. I need a new detector. It is on ebay as we speak. Thanks everyone and hopefully someone will get it who really needs it. A.K.A a coin collector.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One picture sure looks like 1881. Are you sure it's not? I would imagine you're going to be asked several times if you are sure it is 1880.

If you are 100% sure, when someone asks a question you should post your answer to the auction for all to read. Coins with pictures that are in question tend to not get their full worth.

Good luck on the sale!

Wayupnorth66

Mar 26, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
zaxfire69 said:
It will soon be with another owner. I need a new detector. It is on ebay as we speak. Thanks everyone and hopefully someone will get it who really needs it. A.K.A a coin collector.

Where is it on ebay...dont see it? ???

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not going to see it on Ebay. Ebay took it upon themselves to remove my coin. They said that there is no way that this was an 1880 Shield Nickel. They said it was a replica.. :laughing7: I am really upset about this. Apparently they have a Community Coin watch group that said that because my coin wasn't graded there is no way it is real. That is was a replica. Well then I guess in 1880 when it was dropped in the same hole as the other 4- 1890-1911 V nickels that someone must have replicated it. Give me a break. I would love to talk personally with the yahoo that said that this coin was a replica. Just blows my mind.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just really sad.

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500GTI/Minelab Explorer SE
There is no reason to be upset. Get it slabbed. A coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. People will pay alot more attention to a slabbed coin. Ebay removing the listing is probably the best thing that happened to you... well other than finding it :)

Wayupnorth66

Mar 26, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
zaxfire69 said:
Your not going to see it on Ebay. Ebay took it upon themselves to remove my coin. They said that there is no way that this was an 1880 Shield Nickel. They said it was a replica.. :laughing7: I am really upset about this. Apparently they have a Community Coin watch group that said that because my coin wasn't graded there is no way it is real. That is was a replica. Well then I guess in 1880 when it was dropped in the same hole as the other 4- 1890-1911 V nickels that someone must have replicated it. Give me a break. I would love to talk personally with the yahoo that said that this coin was a replica. Just blows my mind.

You are not alone...Ive have been slammed by ebay many times..and I have over 2600 100% possitive feedback!...I see their point..but they really can be assholes about things

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zaxfire69 said:

I suspected there could be some type of problem, and why I posted my message above. Between bad pictures, poor condition, and many replica nickels, there is great risk to a buyer (from Ebay's perspective) so I'm not surprised for a second the listing was removed. I say that having been accused of posting a fake coin myself, which I knew was real, and now years later I finally did get around to authenticating it. I had no reason to do it before now because I know the truth, and had no plans to sell it.

With so much fraud in the world today things have to be done the right way, or at least a certain way!

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is I am nervous about sending a coin to have it graded. It travels through so many hands. I worry that the coin I send in won't get returned to me. Then all I can do is call a phone number and chat with someone. Like I said untill I get the nerves to send it in an pay someone to tell me something I already know looks like it will just sit in the box where it is now. Maybe I'll get the nerves and money up soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread