Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out early this morning to what I believe to be my oldest site . According to my research a crude log fort was built on the river here in 1776. It supposedly housed a company of men and Indians until it was abandoned in 1779 when the British took Bagaduce, now ( Castine ) . I have hunted this site a couple of times before but I had not yet dug the foundation out . I have yet to find a colonial coin here but have found enough evidence to believe that I am on the fort site. The company of soldiers may have left this site in 1779 but it was not left empty. The first time I hunted this site I found evidence of habitation right into the 1920s. At first I thought I had not found the fort site and then I would make an early find. I believe the crude fort was torn down and a house was built over the site. The foundation if you want to call it that is just some hastily laid field stone no mortar in evidence. Well any ways I am perseverating. Digging the foundation produced the same mixed era finds. I have an Identical dandy button from last year. A few other buttons and the star pin. I am trying to determine if this star pin is military. The Bone handled utensil and the candle holder was also found this morn. I went home for lunch and cleaned up my finds. After lunch it was raining Yeah ! Can't paint the house so I headed back to the foundation dig. Again as I moved around the foundation a cornucopia of mixed finds. The shoe buckle is a first for me. I found the frame first then about 2 feet away I found the rest of it. I wish the hinge piece had not rotted away. A nice 1866 Indian , a decent 1914 barber and the little women's watch also showed up. Not a bad day for me even though I had my heart set on a colonial coin ! You will have to excuse all the photos I was experimenting with different lighting and a red background on this afternoons finds . which do you like better ?? Thanks for looking !! MaineRelic.

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_1000.jpg
    IMG_1000.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 450
Upvote 0

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
good research, MR, and some very nice finds to back it up. those buckles are sweet, and that '66 Indian is pristine.
hope you can pull some colonial coins out of there, and perhaps some revolutionary buttons as well...

dwayne

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds maine.

That is a great IH

HH Jer

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Wow a good day for sure. If that 1866 is in as good a shape as it looks it's worth $100.00 to $200.00

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
Wow a good day for sure. If that 1866 is in as good a shape as it looks it's worth $100.00 to $200.00
It is in pretty good shape and it is a semi key date ,The obverse is in at least g-8 condition . The reverse still needs a little clean up ! I hope I can avoid pitting on this side as well ! I might be able to pass it as a g-4 Maybe even an 8 , I haven't looked up it's value as a g-4 but enviromental damage always takes value away from a dug coin ! But I am happy with the coin !! My 1st 66 Indian !! MaineRelic Well I just did look up the value of this coin . G 4 lists at $ 48.00 I'll take it !! MaineRelic

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 364

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MR ...Great post ,digs and looks like U are into some nice hunting ground ! Especially like how you are thinking out the layout of that colonial cabin. The interior type relics .. handles and other iron relics, door hinges, the foundation , all this observation can lead to where the most amount of good stuff waits . Like the buckle , the 1866 IH , the star military badge is 8) When I first saw the star, I thought you took a trip out West . :icon_pirat: Nice finds

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
awesome hunt bud! i would make a pin for that buckle. nice indian too! hell its all good! one of these days im a coming to maine to hunt with you. willy

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Great finds as usual. I like the red background. I think it makes the finds stand out better. I applaud your hard work. Those old sites require a lot of patience and yours is definitely paying off. Colonial copper can't be far behind.

Good luck.

-FH

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice assortment of finds you got there.
I like the red background the best btw.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Mainerelic! Your on an old site no doubt about it. That shoe buckle and buttons, most certainly fit the time period of the fort. Keep at it theres a colonial coin there somewhere. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotta be pleased with a buckle like that :)

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fathead said:
Great finds as usual. I like the red background. I think it makes the finds stand out better. I applaud your hard work. Those old sites require a lot of patience and yours is definitely paying off. Colonial copper can't be far behind.

Good luck.

-FH
Nate75402 said:
Nice assortment of finds you got there.
I like the red background the best btw.

Beautiful finds. I agree, stick with the red. (Better on the eyes too.)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o

That's a very nice Buckle indeed :o pity it's not still together :'( but at least you got all the parts to it :) I think just a matter of time, before that early coin turns up :icon_thumleft:

SS

Attachments

• 7_16_2.gif
    7_16_2.gif
    52.9 KB · Views: 184
U

umrgolf

Nice research and finds.. The photos are very well done too.. There are MANY sites like yours with early and late occupation.. If you keep with it and dig all the iffy signals, more colonial era finds will show up and hopefully a george or two

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
REALLY nice 1866 IH. I think you may be at the right area.

Early forts in Maine may have been made from crudely cut early chestnut, which would have lasted literally for centuries. Very possible other home site on or nearby original site.

You should be using my Coinmaster Pro: it'll find BB's 4 inches deep. At your site, I'd dig every signal and take my time getting 'em out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread