My First ArrowHead. And Some Other Stuff

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi everyone, Did a little hunting over the weekend with my younger brother. I wanted to go and check some woods were I thought maybe some other old homes may be. We walked them with no luck but I knew at the end of the road there was a old abandoned house.

At the end of the road we decided to hit it for awhile. Lance found 2 silver quarters. I got 5 wheat's there a old key a neat little charm for a chain and a few other things. We didn't hunt there for more than 1.5 hrs. Sight was fairly large to.

I think in the back of the house over to the left there may have been a early settlers home there. Alot of old stones piled up around the place. There was a open area that had a few big pine tree's with a well also. This house was from the early 1900's I would say. I think there was a older home on the site though.

I'll have to detect it more to see if my theory stands. We concentrated on the house that was still standing in it's yard. As soon as we got there though Lance found a old pocket watch by the well in the woods. Good sign that something was in that spot also. I saw some stones just under the dirt also.

We got out sunday down to a old park. I should have went back to the house we hit the day before. I didn't clearly think it out the night before. Also that day as I was cleaning out my pouch I got stung by a bee in the finger. They sometimes live in the dirt or in a artifact. Must have been in a clump and as I dug in he got me. No big deal it more in less scared me for a second than anything. Never felt pain digging into my pouch before.

But the best part was I was digging a hole and found my first arrowhead. I was so happy about it I could have cared less what else was in the hole. To tell you the truth I don't know if I even recovered the target. It was better than silver to me. I have always wanted to go and look for them. It's hard enough to persue one hobby more in less try multiple one's.

It's a nice looking point. I don't know how old but I would say 500 to 1000 yrs old. I know it's not much to a farmer or others who find them alot but I was really excited about it. Like any first you come across. After 100,000 holes I finally accidentally found one.

Thanks for looking everyone. Can't wait for the weather to get nice again.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• First arrowhead 1.jpg
    First arrowhead 1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 307
  • First Arrow head.jpg
    First Arrow head.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 311
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The other stuff look's great,and congrat's on the silver.I've only found one but it was while I was fishing(another great hobby)Nice find's and congrat's on your first arrowhead..

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Nice point JerDfx! Where did you find it?(What state, county) It looks like the base is broken off, other than that it looks good. Those chips out of the center of the blade near the bottom are called fire pops. It happens when the material is put into a fire to heat treat it so they could flake it easier.
Andy

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thanks alot guys.

Andy, Thanks for the info man. I was hoping you would pop in. Your the arrowhead king. Now I know how you feal when you find them. There nice and smooth with really cool colors.

It was found in Pennsylvania allegheny co. The area I was hunting was farm land back in the 1700's. Lots of indian villages back then around the whole area. It was close to the river also. Within a mile or so. Really rich black soil that I guess has been the same for hundreds of years.

Probably some more under that soil. But it's all grass now. Some area's have no grass though and huge tree's spaced out. I'll keep my eye out now in this area for them. I spotted it instantly though. No mud stuck to it barely.

I was wondering about those chips. One is on the other side bigger and really smooth. I thought it was just a mistake in the chipping process. Pretty cool learning about them.

HH Jeremy

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeremy,

Congratulations on your 1st point. I get excited about the ones I find too. Your other finds are awesome too.

Thanks Andy for the info on fire pops...learn some new again today.

HH :)

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jer, found my first in my garden last year after rototilling it. I looked down and picked that puppy up like it was a $20 gold piece. Ran into the house and showed wife and daughter. Wife said bla bla bla while daughter wanted to take it to school 'cause it was cool!!

I still keep my eyes open.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jer, nice finds! I have found several while bowhunting. Yours looks similar to one I found. I took several to a expert at at Missouri State University. He said most were made from 3000 BC to 1500 AD. Anyway my point is I would say yours could be much older than 500 to 1000 years. Congrats! Tsgman

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Arrowhead, I'm still looking for mine! I think if I find one here in Germany it will be at least 2000 years old or probably more like 5000 years old. HH, Mike

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Hey Jeremy,
I don't know about King of arrowheads, but thank you for the kind words. I only have two examples in my whole collection that have evidence of fire pops. I do not know the material yours is made from, but I'll ask around and hopefully I can find an answer for you. Here's a tip for your site! Keep an eye on those trees around your spot and if one of them falls over go look at the roots and in the ground, because many nice points have been found in tree roots after they fall over. Also look for run off's going towards the river and check in those too. If you find any in either spot you'll have to mail them to me for my collection. LOL! Good luck and HH.
Andy

Attachments

• P3060003.JPG
    P3060003.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 202

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless the ground is covered with that type of rock, look for places where it comes to the surface. Also along and in dry stream beds. Monty

M

mchamby

Nice find. I found my first and only when I was a teenager fishing along a creek. I was very excited and showed my father when I got home, he had a collection he found while hunting in the woods. He never did share his sites. I was foolish enough to give it to him after awhile and my mom sold his collection when he died, I hope one day to find another, we live in prime territory but many people over the years have found hundreds of arrowheads. In fact about 3 miles from where I live there are still two visible teepee rings and the University did a study there when I was very very young, they found a lot. I'm sure there is more to find alone the creek and I'm sure there is more to find where you are. HH
Mchamby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread