SOMEWHERE Under The Rainbow...

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
SOMEWHERE Under The Rainbow...

Hello everyone! Well it’s nearly a week since Memorial Day this year and the Long weekend is long past. *sigh* I actually had this holiday weekend off for a change. Unlike this weekend , although it’s over now too. Yeah it might have been a shortened work week, but working the weekend still makes it a long week in my book. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend to spend with your family and friends and perhaps took time to remember those who’ve given their all so that we might enjoy our freedom. After all, it *IS* the reason for the holiday in the first place. Freedom isn’t free, and it should be cherished more than any of our trivial discoveries or finds while pursuing this hobby that we all have the “freedom” to enjoy. Okay, I’ll get off the soapbox now. I should have made this post last weekend, or perhaps Monday evening anyway, but I was too busy enjoying the holiday to write about it. <smile>
Now that I’ve had a week, or nearly, and everyone has moved on to the newest and latest discoveries, I’ll drag you all back to that weekend a WEEK AGO. Buckle UP!

My memorial day weekend started off with a long relaxing late dinner with my sweetheart on Friday night. Long, because it was the end of a VERY long work day for the both of us and Late... well... for the same reason. Anyway, we discussed our plans for the weekend ahead and finding myself with little to do early Saturday morning I jumped at the chance to do a little detecting. OF COURSE! My venue of choice that day was a park where the community puts on a free showing (outdoors) of recently first run movies. “Free Friday Flicks” they call it. The movie is free, people are welcomed to bring blankets, lawn chairs, picnic dinners and/or snacks and of course there are vendors galore there as well. Hmmm.. large concentration of people, lounging around in the dark on a grassy hillside trying to watch a movie, watch their kids and a hundred other little distractions. YEP! Good place to hunt in the morning!. Well in the past I’ve found everything from half eaten snacks (ewwww) to cell phones. Only two broken non working cell phones weren’t returned to their owners. (Karma Points!) I’ve found jewelry, COINS of course, and the promotional items given out or sold to the viewers at this little party. Yeah, most of it is junk, but I pick it up to keep it from getting shredded in the lawnmowers used by the maintenance guys and gals. (brownie points with the parks personnel !). Here’s some of the stuff I found this past weekend (Memorial Day Weekend).

Plastics Comp.jpg

ShadesComp.jpg

Oh and there were several individual flip flops or sandals or crocs and children’s shoes as well, I just deposited them on a nearby picnic table in case someone comes looking for them. The coins were duly deposited into my finds bag to be otherwise deposited later. Well by near lunch time Saturday it was getting VERY hot and VERY humid, and I was getting hungry. My wife had already called me twice to see how I was doing , so I called it a day.. or a morning anyway, and headed home to take my wife to lunch.
Of course it rained. The weather forecast locally predicted storms and rain all weekend so I considered my morning hunt to be fortunate. However, later that evening it cleared up and actually turned off rather nice. In fact, There were rainbows. I caught one of them in digital form...

Rainbow.JPG

I took that as an omen or a sign of good fortune... and went out detecting again! This time it was a local school with several regulation size soccer fields on its campus. My wife went along to watch me play a while before sunset. I told her I would be quick and would only detect around the outside of the one field I’d selected for that occasion. Seriously honey, it’ll only take a little while...
An hour later, with SOMEONE doing the “pee pee dance” squirming in her camp chair, I called it a day and we headed to the nearest restroom.
Sunday morning dawned very warm and damp. Damp, but not raining! No detecting that day, but my wife and I packed a picnic lunch and drove about seventy miles to the Red River Gorge (Daniel Boone National Forest) and enjoyed some nature. Caught a few trout, brookies and rainbow, but released them. We had our lunch, took in the sights, the headed for home in the early afternoon. Did I mention that we were up with (before actually) the birds Sunday morning? Anyway, it rained on us almost all the way home... Almost... I stopped off at a small town between the Gorge and Home to check out a couple of prospects. One I detected at. Two Schools, one had kids playing in the playground, the other didn’t. Twenty minutes later, and a few dollars and trinkets in the finds bag and we continuing on our way home. (if you are keeping score... that’s THREE hunts so far, albeit short ones)
Monday morning started off damp. Again, but this time not from rain, unless it was left over from the previous day. No, it was damp from the morning dew. I had planned on mowing my lawn and doing some work around the house, yard work, but alas (heavy sigh) I’d have to wait a while. Whatever should I do? <grin>
I went to one of my favorite “nearby” hunting sites, a local park not far from my house. With a couple of hours to spend I made good use of it and did some picking and cleaning, picking up trash, and cleaning up some fairly old pocket spills that I discovered while detecting. My finds bag, which still hadn’t been emptied out from the first hunt Saturday morning, was beginning to get a little heavy. But I still didn’t have time to sort it all out and count and stuff, I had to get home and get the grill going so that I could cook dinner! It was back to work the next day and the next and the next.. well you understand. I finally got some time Friday to dump everything out and sort and count and discard my finds. Oh... and take pictures that I will finally use in the post I’m writing TONIGHT, nearly a week later.
Ok... You’ve seen some of the plastic and stuff already, you might even have noticed, if you looked very closely at the coin in those pics that that nickel is a 1939 vintage. Not a Buff, not a Shield, Not a “War Nickel” but I thought it was pretty neat all the same.

Nickel Comp.jpg

That nickel got used as my “Scale” coin in the rest of the pictures too, so you’ll see more of it. <grin>
First, the usuall... Scrap, crap and pull tabs.

Tabs and Scrap.JPG

Finds from the parks and athletic fields of course...

Sportstuff.JPG

There were buttons, snaps and pulls (zipper pulls) and toys...

Buttons and Snips.JPG

I found a couple of keys over the several hunts last weekend...

Keys.JPG

And several tokens too, as well as a couple of “pressed” pennies that someone made as souvenirs...

Token Comp duo.jpg

I found some bling too... on nearly everyone of the three, no, FOUR hunts last weekend. None of it was silver or gold, but I got a kick out of finding it all the same, especially the Cub Scout neckerchief slide. I’ve found several now over the last four years.

Bling.JPG

Some not so usual finds, but not totally unusual were the bullets and shell casings...

Bullets and shellsComp.jpg

Oh and there was the clad collected over these hunts. A pretty fair pile of clad that once sorted, stacked and counted turned out to be a very nice little haul indeed! Even for four hunts I’ll gladly add that cash to my currently RE-growing vacation fund! COOL~

clad.JPG

Yeah, nearly $24 bucks more than covered my gas, and snacks, and batteries for these hunts. You GOTTA LOVE A HOBBY THAT ***PAYS*** you to have fun! Again, I hope you all enjoyed the holiday weekend and time with family and loved ones. And if you didn’t take a moment over the weekend, take a mental moment to send a Salute to those who served and gave, and to all those who are currently serving to protect and ensure the freedom of this country (the United States of America) and all of us. (that includes all you folks of other countries of origin). As always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds I'm just breaking even here if you don't factor in the first gold item i found this year but i still enjoy every find i make!! and red gets all the pretty stuff the last 2 Saturdays 1 gold bracelet and 1 silver ring!!!!! cladand junk also!!! HH Chug

because of heavy work load i am paying the 3 dollar parking fee for some of the parks i hunt!!!! its easier than walking 3/4 of a mile form the free parking area!!!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin all that.....you're in the gold my man!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Chug said:
Great finds I'm just breaking even here if you don't factor in the first gold item i found this year but i still enjoy every find i make!! and red gets all the pretty stuff the last 2 Saturdays 1 gold bracelet and 1 silver ring!!!!! cladand junk also!!! HH Chug

because of heavy work load i am paying the 3 dollar parking fee for some of the parks i hunt!!!! its easier than walking 3/4 of a mile form the free parking area!!!

Oh LORD! I hope that parking fee idea doesn't catch on here where I live! Three dollars to PARK? at the PARK???? So much for the vacation fund, it'd be a parking fund I suppose. I feel for ya man!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Lookn4seated said:
Diggin all that.....you're in the gold my man!

I've found a few pieces of gold... earrings, a couple of rings, but no gold coins. Oh I'll keep looking though. <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions