Matt872

Greenie
Jun 4, 2010
ARIZ
Detector(s) used
White Spect XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes gold can tarnish depending on the Karet and mainly depending on the type of enviroment that it is in .For years I have hunted a large military dump and the chemicals that are in the ground makes gold look like brass but with proper cleaning it will come back to origional showing hallmarks and 10 12 14 18 k exc

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Matt872 said:
Yes gold can tarnish depending on the Karet and mainly depending on the type of enviroment that it is in .For years I have hunted a large military dump and the chemicals that are in the ground makes gold look like brass but with proper cleaning it will come back to origional showing hallmarks and 10 12 14 18 k exc

Does this gold also glow in the dark?

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
Deepdiger60 said:
In the field i have been hunting this morning i dug up a heart pendent i can see gold coming through the tarnished surface its the same on both sides it weighs 5.6 grams and came up on MD as a +10 +12 it was about 8 inches deep all i have done so far is wash it off with water Dd60

I've seen a lot of gold dug out of the ground after having been there for 80+ years and it always comes out looking as good as the day it went in the dirt. Looks like copper to me, the green corrision is always a dead give away.

Not sure what detector you're using, but a copper item that size would be a higher VDI on my Whites machines. Looks like one of those funky Minelab numbers. :laughing7:

Greg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
I'm 98% sure that is/was plated

agreed, the give-away is the gold plating is in the low spots & the high spots have worn off.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:read2:

In answer to your question YES, it's called secretion, Shipwreck Gold coins often have iron secretion, from being in contact with iron.
But I also agree with outhers your find doesn't look like Gold :'(

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minton7 said:
from all my digging.... gold is gold is gold is gold..... comes up like it went down
No that's not true :P have a look at my aviater, and now have a look how it came out of the ground :)

SS

Attachments

• fs1 001.JPG
    fs1 001.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 2,443
  • fs1 001.JPG
    fs1 001.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,314

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

Gold dose not rust or corrode it can however get build up on it if it is in the water or ground for a really long time. :read2: That stuff should rub right off uncovering the gold under it, if real. :headbang: If you can see any rust or corrosion then you should know its not gold. :icon_thumleft: Build up is not the same as corrosion and can be spotted by the trained eye. ::) Corrosion is the actual metal being eaten away by oxidation, build up is just layers of sentiment stacking/sticking on top of it. :read2: Corrosion can't be wiped off but build up can. :icon_scratch: So I guess the short answer to your question is yes gold can tarnish if exposed to the elements for a long time but. :dontknow: It should clean off easy and is very uncommon to see gold tarnish or get build up. Happens much more with gold from the sea that was in the ocean for 300 years the salt and small creatures of the ocean grow on it.

Nice finds,

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hello, :hello:

Gold dose not rust or corrode it can however get build up on it if it is in the water or ground for a really long time. :read2: That stuff should rub right off uncovering the gold under it, if real. :headbang: If you can see any rust or corrosion then you should know its not gold. :icon_thumleft: Build up is not the same as corrosion and can be spotted by the trained eye. ::) Corrosion is the actual metal being eaten away by oxidation, build up is just layers of sentiment stacking/sticking on top of it. :read2: Corrosion can't be wiped off but build up can. :icon_scratch: So I guess the short answer to your question is yes gold can tarnish if exposed to the elements for a long time but. :dontknow: It should clean off easy and is very uncommon to see gold tarnish or get build up. Happens much more with gold from the sea that was in the ocean for 300 years the salt and small creatures of the ocean grow on it.

Nice finds,

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D
:hello:

The discolouring on the coin I posted didn't rub straight of, it took nearly two weeks to clean it :-\

SS :)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it still rubbed off, may have not been easy but still rubbed off.... :tongue3: :dontknow:

Why you giving me a hard time I'm agreeing with you, I said yes too ?? ???

Keep @ It and HH !! ;D :D

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
creeper71 said:
I'm 98% sure that is/was plated

agreed, the give-away is the gold plating is in the low spots & the high spots have worn off.

I agree with Cru on that one :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions