Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    us
    Jun 2009
    Long Island E-end
    Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
    2,805
    86 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    In the field i have been hunting this morning i dug up a heart pendent i can see gold coming through the tarnished surface its the same on both sides it weighs 5.6 grams and came up on MD as a +10 +12 it was about 8 inches deep all i have done so far is wash it off with water Dd60
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold heart.jpg 
Views:	2328 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	417075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold heart 2.jpg 
Views:	2555 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	417076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	time field.jpg 
Views:	1244 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	417077  
    If Mother Earth give,s us precious metals like gold silver copper and iron why leave them in the ground to disappear forever , dig them out and save History !!

    4-12-2011 Retired from the Rat Race by Choice

  2. #2
    us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    2,936
    59 times

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    I'm 98% sure that is/was plated
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

  3. #3
    us
    Jun 2009
    Long Island E-end
    Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
    2,805
    86 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    Quote Originally Posted by creeper71
    I'm 98% sure that is/was plated
    I think so but it has enough left to fool me Thanks Dd60
    If Mother Earth give,s us precious metals like gold silver copper and iron why leave them in the ground to disappear forever , dig them out and save History !!

    4-12-2011 Retired from the Rat Race by Choice

  4. #4
    us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    2,936
    59 times

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    what gave it away to me was the green corrosion an the dark brown metal...
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

  5. #5

    Mar 2007
    south central ohio
    White's Spectrum XLT
    981
    16 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    from all my digging.... gold is gold is gold is gold..... comes up like it went down

  6. #6
    us
    Jun 2010
    ARIZ
    White Spect XLT
    10
    Relic Hunting

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    Yes gold can tarnish depending on the Karet and mainly depending on the type of enviroment that it is in .For years I have hunted a large military dump and the chemicals that are in the ground makes gold look like brass but with proper cleaning it will come back to origional showing hallmarks and 10 12 14 18 k exc
    Always more to find

  7. #7
    us
    NJ

    Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
    3,282
    232 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt872
    Yes gold can tarnish depending on the Karet and mainly depending on the type of enviroment that it is in .For years I have hunted a large military dump and the chemicals that are in the ground makes gold look like brass but with proper cleaning it will come back to origional showing hallmarks and 10 12 14 18 k exc
    Does this gold also glow in the dark?

  8. #8
    us
    Aug 2009
    84
    3 times

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deepdiger60
    In the field i have been hunting this morning i dug up a heart pendent i can see gold coming through the tarnished surface its the same on both sides it weighs 5.6 grams and came up on MD as a +10 +12 it was about 8 inches deep all i have done so far is wash it off with water Dd60
    I've seen a lot of gold dug out of the ground after having been there for 80+ years and it always comes out looking as good as the day it went in the dirt. Looks like copper to me, the green corrision is always a dead give away.

    Not sure what detector you're using, but a copper item that size would be a higher VDI on my Whites machines. Looks like one of those funky Minelab numbers.

    Greg

  9. #9

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    Quote Originally Posted by creeper71
    I'm 98% sure that is/was plated
    agreed, the give-away is the gold plating is in the low spots & the high spots have worn off.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

    'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    Why is knowledge power, when life is passing on sh*t... 03/03/19
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

  10. #10
    us
    Sep 2007
    N. San Diego County
    Ace 250
    10,318
    37 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    Quote Originally Posted by minton7
    from all my digging.... gold is gold is gold is gold..... comes up like it went down
    True..... I agree

  11. #11

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?



    In answer to your question YES, it's called secretion, Shipwreck Gold coins often have iron secretion, from being in contact with iron.
    But I also agree with outhers your find doesn't look like Gold

    SS
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

  12. #12

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    Quote Originally Posted by minton7
    from all my digging.... gold is gold is gold is gold..... comes up like it went down
    No that's not true :P have a look at my aviater, and now have a look how it came out of the ground

    SS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fs1 001.JPG 
Views:	1675 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	35155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fs1 001.JPG 
Views:	1147 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	417420  
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

  13. #13
    us
    Jan 2010
    Virginia
    White's MXT, GPX 4800
    583
    49 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    It's brass with gold gilt.

  14. #14
    us
    MUD(S.W.A.T)

    Apr 2005
    Location: Undisclosed
    I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
    8,003
    894 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    Hello,

    Gold dose not rust or corrode it can however get build up on it if it is in the water or ground for a really long time. That stuff should rub right off uncovering the gold under it, if real. If you can see any rust or corrosion then you should know its not gold. Build up is not the same as corrosion and can be spotted by the trained eye. Corrosion is the actual metal being eaten away by oxidation, build up is just layers of sentiment stacking/sticking on top of it. Corrosion can't be wiped off but build up can. So I guess the short answer to your question is yes gold can tarnish if exposed to the elements for a long time but. It should clean off easy and is very uncommon to see gold tarnish or get build up. Happens much more with gold from the sea that was in the ocean for 300 years the salt and small creatures of the ocean grow on it.

    Nice finds,

    Keep @ it and HH !!
    TAG: MUD(S.W.A.T)
    GEAR: Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
    LOCATION: Undisclosed
    EXPERIENCE: About 9 Years
    E-MAIL: mudswat1979@yahoo.com
    "Where you find Silver, you should find Gold."

  15. #15

    Re: Can old deep gold get tarnished ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MUD(S.W.A.T)
    Hello,

    Gold dose not rust or corrode it can however get build up on it if it is in the water or ground for a really long time. That stuff should rub right off uncovering the gold under it, if real. If you can see any rust or corrosion then you should know its not gold. Build up is not the same as corrosion and can be spotted by the trained eye. Corrosion is the actual metal being eaten away by oxidation, build up is just layers of sentiment stacking/sticking on top of it. Corrosion can't be wiped off but build up can. So I guess the short answer to your question is yes gold can tarnish if exposed to the elements for a long time but. It should clean off easy and is very uncommon to see gold tarnish or get build up. Happens much more with gold from the sea that was in the ocean for 300 years the salt and small creatures of the ocean grow on it.

    Nice finds,

    Keep @ it and HH !!


    The discolouring on the coin I posted didn't rub straight of, it took nearly two weeks to clean it

    SS
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can gold tarnish green
,

does gold tarnish green

,
does real gold tarnish
,
gold tarnish green
,
gold with green tarnish
,
green tarnish on gold
,
tarnished old gold
,

what does old gold look like

,

what does tarnished gold look like

,
will gold tarnish green
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0