Few pics of my next adventure, and any tips on how to approach it.

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac
I have been wanting to hunt this site for over a year now, I go by it alot with work, it is a mile from any road at the least, its within 50 yards of the river, I had a chance to stop and take a look around it a couple of days ago, way to growed up to hunt at the moment, in the short time I got to swing my machine, I managed to dig 4 Mason Jar lids, each one at least 10 inches deep, the ground is river bottom and very soft. I'm not sure if this location was a mill or home, the large fireplace was 2 sided, I've not seen one like that in stone, I've never hunted a site like this, so any recommendations would be great, I'm worried at this site, coins could be 2 deep with such soft dirt.

Attachments

• 0604101801.jpg
    0604101801.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 783
  • 0604101805.jpg
    0604101805.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 779
  • av.jpg
    av.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 784
  • 0604101804a.jpg
    0604101804a.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 776
Upvote 0

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like you've got a great spot!
dig it all until you get an idea about the relic stratification,
and then dig it all!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guy, if it's that close to water, there will be Copperheads now. My advice is WAIT until after frost. Looks interesting. HH there, Quindy.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have taken a light weight swing sickle and cleared some before detecting.The two sided fireplace meant a room was on both sides ,,, Use lots of Off spray.Should be a spring a little closer and a cellar hole. I was in a tangle Sunday of muscidines and poison ivy. I just spot detected and got a few coins and a tokens. I am considering taking a tank of round up to help clear the site. Walk everything you are going to detect first to clear it of snakes and stand any old tin on its sides to help keep the snakes out.They love to ambush from the edges of anything laying flat.
Have fun. The bug juice and plenty of water will make for a fun day.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man that looks good does appear to much poison ivy but i agree with the others i might wait until the frost. Copperheads are gonna love that. As long as it doesnt interfere with bow season. :laughing7: Be sure to run ur detector up and down the sides of that. I have found knives and other trinkets stuffed in the cracks of those old hearths. :icon_thumright:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Guy, if it's that close to water, there will be Copperheads now. My advice is WAIT until after frost. Looks interesting. HH there, Quindy.

Guy I agree that maybe this fall/winter would be much better. A lot of that over growth will be down to make it easier to swing. As far as depth I can say this. When I hunted that spot in Kansas I told you about when I was on vacation, the area was near a creek and probably has been flooded many times and the soil was very soft. My mercury dimes were only 4" to 5" deep and most of the indian and wheat pennies were about 5" with the deepest 10". I still think it should be hunted as I am sure that there will be something there. Pictures look great.

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Whenever you do get a chance to hunt, keep us posted on your finds. I am sure they will be many.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Go this fall and dig iffy signals. Some of those might be interesting.
Dman

OP
OP
Tnrelicman

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac
It does look like a fall hunt indeed, thanks for all the advice everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread