Newbie Also

D

davehood

I purchased an ACE 250 about 2 months ago. I have been going out everyday at lunch from work and searching a small pull off next to a river. I did some background and it use to be a very popular swimming hole. I started out digging alot of trash but just like all newbies. I FINALLY found my first coin. It is a 1958 nickle. I know its just clad but it was exciting for me. Also, I have done some research into another place down the way on the river. It is reported that it use to be a Dancing hall back in the late 1800's. I found the foundation but it was raining and didnt want to get my MD out in that. I am going back this weekend. If anyone has any tips on diggin or MD please let me know I am very excited about my new hobbie.

Duckdodgers Dave

Upvote 0

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
You should have a good time with that ACE250. congrats on the first coin!
Godd luck with the old Hall..... sounds promising.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the nickle dave and welcome.Wish you the best of luck at the dance hall,keep us posted on your find's.HH!!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Davehood, sounds like you're doing it right. Get all the junk out of there first...then get the coins.

The dance hall sounds like a perfect place to hunt. Good luck. :)

Welcome to the forum!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum.You'll learn a lot here.You can read to your hearts desire and get all sorts of tips and ideas.Ditto on the cleaning out all the trash.Once that is removed,the good stuff will start to come.Old swimming holes are great places to detect.There's bound to be a few "good" finds there.That '58 nickel tells me that you'll eventually find some silver coinage there,just keep at it.Might even find some old jewelry.Hows the current and depth of that river?If not too fast moving or not too much of a drop off at waters edge,might be worth stepping in a little after it warms up some.Just be sure and keep the unit out of the water.The coil and shaft are fine to get wet,don't go too deep.Good luck and looking forward to your finds.

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro
Welcome to the forum. Dig all your solid repeatable hits. I have a Whites QXT and it has really good harmonics. Don't know much about the Ace250 but I wouldn't descriminate against anything since it's an old site of historic value. I broke my shovel that came with my detector the first time out. So I made my own digging tools from tools I already had. I rounded off the tip of a long flat tip screw driver, 1 plastic garden shovel(that works well in soft dirt), and a large and small chisel both sharpened for plug cutting and hard digging. Also get used to back pain, knee pain, frequent trips to the library and looking at your surroundings differently. Do lots of research(that's the mode I'm in now) it will pay off. Good luck and HH. Oh there is no cure for this disease....

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another Bama member!! :) Hey Dave!

Congrats on your find! That dancehall sounds like an awesome site!

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Nana ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread