Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found Big Silver... Small Silver, It's All Good!! Silver Drought Over

Hello All;
Went back to the 1840's Cranston home tonight for a few hours. I've found the easy stuff now I am starting to slow the pace way down and take it easy. I've been concentrating on the side where the main entrance to the house was. This is a large farm and been in use for over 100 years at least. However, I have not been finding any of the real old coins, if there is any to be found. I only found about 10 indians and some old wheats. No LC's , Barbers; etc.

Hunted Sunday and tonight. The grass was just cut today and we have had a wet spring. The ground is Prime!! I have hunted this side yard before and even with a friend who owns a E-trac. I guess we both missed the Walker ::) Here is the items I found:

1945 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
1950 Rossie
1938 Merc
1943 Merc
1924 Wheat, 1958 Wheat, 1944, 1945 and a 1923
one old looking Bullet (any idea on caliber and age)?
a lead button. Never seen one of these before
Kiss-O-Love lipstick holder with lipstick inside. (any idea on the age)?
Show biz pizza token
Old tire valve part. I have found 5 of the model A/T tire cap but not one like this
Old Ford Key
Hot wheels car. Looks like a Trans Am

011-6.jpg

013-5.jpg

015-5.jpg

017-5.jpg

006-10.jpg

004-11.jpg

009-9.jpg

011-9.jpg

013-9.jpg

014-8.jpg

015-9.jpg

011-8.jpg

012-7.jpg

014-7.jpg

019-6.jpg

020-18.jpg

016-7.jpg

017-10.jpg

006-9.jpg

005-10.jpg

018-5.jpg

022-17.jpg

021-18.jpg

007-8.jpg

008-9.jpg

009-8.jpg

010-9.jpg

013-8.jpg

Upvote 0

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found Big Silver... Small Silver, It's All Good!! Silver Drought Over

Super sweet finds Jarhead, Big Congrats! :thumbsup:

Good luck,
HH.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

cool hunt bud!! how many times ya circle that tree stump in the front yard? willy

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010

Well done!!...still looking for my first silver.

Were any of these finds deeper than 4 inches? So far, I've had no finds deeper than this but one old can that was ten inchesw down, but read as a quarter/half dollar on my 250.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent finds! :icon_thumleft:

The tire valve part is actually a tool used to remove the internal part of the valve stem.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dfx willy said:
cool hunt bud!! how many times ya circle that tree stump in the front yard? willy

Quite a few times. That's actually where I found the lipstick tube at

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bigcreekdad said:

Were any of these finds deeper than 4 inches? So far, I've had no finds deeper than this but one old can that was ten inchesw down, but read as a quarter/half dollar on my 250.

Iron signals on the Ace depending how big will go pretty deep. I've had some 10-12 inches depending on where your sensitivity is set at. I can tell if it's iron or a big piece of iron by gradually raising the coil while sweeping. If your 6-8 inches off of the ground and still getting a reading I usually know it's a big piece of iron/metal. Most all of my old coins at older homes have been 4-6. However I have found a few oldies at 2-3 inches Can't explain that. I found a 2 cent piece last year at 3 inches. (1865) I keep my sensitivity high (1 notch from highest ) and use the 12 inch pro-coil. I have had great success with this. Keep your batteries strong (I buy a lot). If the batteries fall a few notches I discard them. I run exclussively in the coin mode, but have used the relic mode a few times. Practice, and lot's of it will make you a pro. The Ace is a great machine for the price. I have had hunts with other members using far better machines than me and they could only find very little on what I have missed. I won't use their names and I'm sure that they would agree that I done a thorough job on hunting the spots that I took them to. Good luck and keep at it.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro

Great Hunt! Congrats!

Silver is always in style! Especially big silver!

Nicely Done.

Good Luck,
Mark

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice hunt, sweet silver.. what is the thing in the next to last pic? i have found a few of them... MR TUFF

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crazyjarhead said:
bigcreekdad said:

Iron signals on the Ace depending how big will go pretty deep. I've had some 10-12 inches depending on where your sensitivity is set at. I can tell if it's iron or a big piece of iron by gradually raising the coil while sweeping. If your 6-8 inches off of the ground and still getting a reading I usually know it's a big piece of iron/metal. Most all of my old coins at older homes have been 4-6. However I have found a few oldies at 2-3 inches Can't explain that. I found a 2 cent piece last year at 3 inches. (1865) I keep my sensitivity high (1 notch from highest ) and use the 12 inch pro-coil. I have had great success with this. Keep your batteries strong (I buy a lot). If the batteries fall a few notches I discard them. I run exclussively in the coin mode, but have used the relic mode a few times. Practice, and lot's of it will make you a pro. The Ace is a great machine for the price. I have had hunts with other members using far better machines than me and they could only find very little on what I have missed. I won't use their names and I'm sure that they would agree that I done a thorough job on hunting the spots that I took them to. Good luck and keep at it.

I have to agree with Crazy on a lot of things he said about the ACE. I also like to use fresh batteries and when they get a couple of notches low, I replace them. I used to hunt in just coin mode, but only do that in extremely trashy areas now. I like to hunt in all metal, you can really hear the difference in the junk sounds and the good sounds. I watch for any signal that falls on the right side. I don't run to much sensitivity though, about 1/2 or 3//4 of the way up the scale is plenty, anymore and you start to get false signals. Also, when you sweep a target and only get a signal one way and not the other, it usually is iron. I try to check my signals north and south, then turn and sweep the signal east and west. If I get a good repeatable signal I dig the target. If not, it is usually trash or iron. I also like to use a good quality pair of Head Phones. A pair that you can turn the sound up for each ear. Most of the good headphones aren't cheap, but then you get what you pay for. I am using a pair of SunRay Pro headphones that cost around $100. For those really faint signals that are repeatable, you aren't going to hear them without a headset.

HH, Ringfinder

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

The item in question is part of a music box mechanism. It had a piece of metal in it which was "plucked" by a gear to make a sound.

The lead "button" is a hem weight or curtain weight. I have found several.

Awesome finds.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Mr Tuff said:
nice hunt, sweet silver.. what is the thing in the next to last pic? i have found a few of them... MR TUFF

Mastereagle answered your question. I seem to have found these at older site (before 1900) but doesen't mean that you can't find them at post 1900 sites.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

I retract my button statement though, I have NOT found any that look like what you have. Is it lead or pewter?

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mastereagle22 said:
I retract my button statement though, I have NOT found any that look like what you have. Is it lead or pewter?

It's soft and you can bend it like lead. I assumed it was lead by the texture ???

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great hunt, :o :o good post, :icon_thumleft: nice photo's, :headbang: awesome finds !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

awesome finds Ron, sure wish we could work out a time to get together!

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Great finds... That half is sweet :thumbsup:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wtg jar :icon_thumleft: thats a sweet batch of silver my friend but I have to say you kinda scared me there for a minute......I wont say how long ago but long ago as a kid I worked for show biz pizza lol seeing those tokens are a real flash back lol

HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 016-7.jpg
    016-7.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 426
  • 017-10.jpg
    017-10.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 423

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions