is detecting a freshly graded (old fair ground) site a good idea?

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of an old fair ground that has been freshly graded for development, the fairgrounds had allot of activity
for a least 50+ years, I took a closer look at the site, it is not flat anymore, all over growth is torn up, and at the time very muddy, would this make a good site to detect???
I did some googling and came up with this about the topic. I might be a good site, anyone else search places that have been graded???

http://www.greenlightpublishing.co.uk/treasure/uploads/articles/article_17.pdf

Upvote 0

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
mwsvector said:
I know of an old fair ground that has been freshly graded for development, the fairgrounds had allot of activity
for a least 50+ years, I took a closer look at the site, it is not flat anymore, all over growth is torn up, and at the time very muddy, would this make a good site to detect???
I did some googling and came up with this about the topic. I might be a good site, anyone else search places that have been graded???

http://www.greenlightpublishing.co.uk/treasure/uploads/articles/article_17.pdf
hunt it, i have found a lot of good finds were a house has been tore down or were they flat,ed a place for a parking lot. hunt it , hunt it , hunt it :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be on that sucker like white on rice! What are you waiting for?Get out there and find some silver.When did these fairgrounds close down?

OP
OP
jorge del norte

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
I'd be on that sucker like white on rice! What are you waiting for?Get out there and find some silver.When did these fairgrounds close down?

The grounds have been inactive for about 8-10 years, resently graded and is up for sell. a coworker said he went there as a kid, to fairs, fleas, and he is 62 years old, i believe it might be older than that, i went there also as a kid, but it was a flea market then. Tent circus used to go there also. i might try it tomorrow, i work second, and sit kids in the day, so it's hard to get out, deffaintly i'll hunt it this weekend.

g

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definetley hunt it if you can and keep us posted on any of your find's,sound's like a good site.HH!!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if you should waste your time on that fair ground. You might want to give me the address so I can check it out for you. Just kidding. Go after it. Burdie

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats the kind of site that dreams are made of! get out there quick before someone else beats you to it!!

OP
OP
jorge del norte

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i must be a idoit, i should have been out there sooner......it was sleeting when i checked it out, so i went home. i thought grading would make it harder to find stuff......oh.well
i am going to try it!!!

g

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee
mwsvector,

I'd check the edges first, where most likely the grader stopped.( check any dirt that looks darker than the rest, this would be the top soil as I'm sure you know this already).

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Smartin

OP
OP
jorge del norte

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smartin said:
mwsvector,

I'd check the edges first, where most likely the grader stopped.( check any dirt that looks darker than the rest, this would be the top soil as I'm sure you know this already).

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Smartin

Edges first then dark areas, no I did'nt know that, thanks. I'll try to post a topo-sat image. topo-sat image is before it was graded.
g

Attachments

• fairgrounds.jpg
    fairgrounds.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 348

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Great Res on that sat image.... which program did you use for it? definately check the pile first, then move on to the graded area. They'll be doing our fairgrounds in the next few years. I hope to still be around when they do.... been under asphalt for years, and well used for a hundred years before that, the coins ought to be in good shape I hope.

S

southbound

You might want to find out where they took the removed dirt to. There can be some coins in there too! Vern

R

rvbvetter

Like I'm sure evryone else said. Hunt it !! But not in front of the grader. Good luck HH

Z

ZumbroKid

Only found one gold coin in a location shaved down. Poor poor me. Those are the spots to hit right away.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Honey, I'm taking a weeks vacation to play at the fairgrounds! Don't worry about me, I'll pack lunch!"
;D

OP
OP
jorge del norte

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro said:
Great Res on that sat image.... which program did you use for it? definately check the pile first, then move on to the graded area. They'll be doing our fairgrounds in the next few years. I hope to still be around when they do.... been under asphalt for years, and well used for a hundred years before that, the coins ought to be in good shape I hope.
Windows Live Local, for the sat image.
Josh I'f you are reading the forum, let's try and hit this spot Sat or Sun, or both days for a few hours. Let me know.
g

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread