Whos the watch expert?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's the watch expert?

A friend of mine eyeballed a "Rolex" watch that was lying on the ground with a broken band. It was found in an area frequented by migrant farm workers so it is probably a fake from Mexico. How can you tell without taking it to the jewlers? It's just stainless and doesn't contain any precious-looking stones. Thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0

dukeofearl1946

Greenie
Dec 30, 2005
Rogers,Ar
Re: Who's the watch expert?

Check the second hand movement. If its very steady and not jerky like most watches,then it's probably the real thing. At least I've heard that
cuz I don't or prob. won't ever own one unless I just happen to find one .

Good Luck

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the tip. Problem is the battery is dead so can't check it right now. Gonna try and post some pics. First time so bear with me here.

Attachments

• rolex1.JPG
    rolex1.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 233
  • rolex2.JPG
    rolex2.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 230

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

http://gometaldetecting.com/jewelry1.html
http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/counterfeit.shtml
So how do you tell when a watch is really a real one? The number one test is to find the manufacturer's serial number. On modern Omega watches, the 8-digit serial number is laser etched on the outside of the watch--usually on the back of one of the lugs, or on the back of the case. On older Omega watches, the number is still 8 digits, but almost always inside the watch, engraved into the movement. Rolex watches normally have their model and serial numbers on the ouside side of the case, between the lugs where the bracelet or strap attach.

The presence of a correctly engraved or laser etched serial number is often enough to confirm the watch is real--except for fake Rolex watches that often do bear fake serial numbers. The next step is to have the manufacturer validate the serial number. It is best if you can also include a photo of the watch with your request. They will respond with the technical details that you can use to confirm that the serial number does indeed belong to that watch. For information on contacting Omega for this assistance,

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

not an expert by any means but i heard if u wind it it should be smooth,if it shounds like a sherman tank than at least a find is a find

A

allhuntedout

Not a real Rolex. The type on the face is too black and bold. Rolex watches do not have batteries... they are mechanical self-winding watches. Also a real Rolex would not have all those markings on the back. Also, a special tool is required to get the backs off, as they are sealed to be waterproof.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, a definite fake! PBK's website confirmed it along with the rest of your responses. The knowledge on this site never ceases to amaze me. Thanks all!!!

R

rvbvetter

Very nice find!! At the beach once, I found a ROLADEX Watch. But it wasn't waterproof. The cards were all soggy. WTG!! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions