pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie's Finds

First of all, I'm rather new to detecting and have learned a good deal on this forum from its great members. Thanks a bunch. Still have a lot to learn.

I recently got permission to search a house that was built in the mid 1830's. I finally got out yesterday and was really pumped to see what secrets the ground held. The area has about an acre of maintained yard and 6+ acres of woods. In the woods stands an old barn that is completely grown over. In the back corner of the land is an old dwelling that only a mound of rock that is a collapsed chimney remains.

Well here are some of my finds. I know most of it is junk but I think this may be a pretty good spot. Obviously there was farming going on since I found some horse or ox shoes and what I am guessing is part of a horse's reigns. The small button on the bottom next to the harmonica reed says King Pointer on it. Evidently it was off a old pair of jeans.

I was getting ready to give it up for the day when the GTI 2500 gave me that sweet sounding bing that I had been hoping for. The target hit real hard on 9.5 in all directions. Every once in awhile it would bounce to 9 or 10, but not very often. I'm now thinking YES, my very first silver and it going to be a quarter. I slowly dug around the area, savoring the moment. To my surprise, it ends up not being a coin but the item in the second and third picture (the Kennedy was not found...just for size comparison).

I really don't know what this is, but I'm sure it is something common. Hope someone can help. The ring part that I'm hopeful is silver, is not magnetic but the rusted metal below the ring is. I don't see any markings on the inside either. My only thought is that it may be a handle off of some sort of serving set but I could be way off.

Now for the newbie question. Are there other metals that will make the detector ring silver?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 1830 s house 001.jpg
    1830 s house 001.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 597
  • 1830 s house 002.jpg
    1830 s house 002.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 595
  • 1830 s house 003.jpg
    1830 s house 003.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Re: Newbie's Finds

Rein guide for horse tack. Nice finds!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pynchinflint said:
Now for the newbie question. Are there other metals that will make the detector ring silver?
Thanks for any help.

From my understanding there WILL be some 'overlap' on some metals.
Incidentally, I did not see any junk in your post. It's ALL good.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

Depends on a few things:

1. How deep is the target
2. How big is the target
3. What shape is the target
4. what is the target made out of
5. Ground conditions

For example I was recently detecting a place digging up 8 inch diameter iron washers that were coming up everytime as silver coins.

A really deep aluminum can sometimes comes up on the explorer as Silver. The same with iron nails. Old square iron nails can sometimes trick the Explorer into think you have silver.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mastereagle22, all the variables you have outlined are the reasons I don't trust those readouts. I would spend more time looking at the meter than my coil.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GopherDaGold said:
mastereagle22, all the variables you have outlined are the reasons I don't trust those readouts. I would spend more time looking at the meter than my coil.

Don't trust, I would ignore altogether. Trust only your ears, learn the tones & you will get better results.

As someone said, you have a rein guide for a horse

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sure lots of different metals ring like silver or close large coppers sound like silver where small penny's don't slaw rings sometimes like silver where pull tabs don,t a real good pair of head phones make a difference ,although i have a screen to tell me what i might have sounds are better very low whispers i dig sometimes no sens at all and low threshold works, dig all sometimes it pays .Dd60

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Well to be totally honest I have gotten to where I simply dig any solid repeatable signal, I don't care what it sounds like or where it falls on the scale.

I have found a couple of old bullets that way and a CW cuff button. I guess I could just switch to a tone only machine..... :dontknow:

OP
OP
P

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd like to thank each of you for your replies. You have taught me a lot just in your couple of posts. Figured that the whatzit would be easy for you guys to ID.

I cant wait to get out to the site again. Do the members here like to see these kinds of finds? I was a little gun shy about posting these items (thinking it was just trash). Hopefully I'll have something outstanding to post from this site in the near future. I'll be dig'n em all. :)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

I just have 2 things to say.

1. Welcome to the forum and post EVERYTHING because sometimes the worthless piece of junk turns out to be TREASURE
2. Post MORE zipper pulls!!!!! Have NOT seen many ZPs on here in quite some time

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pynchinflint said:
I'd like to thank each of you for your replies. You have taught me a lot just in your couple of posts. Figured that the whatzit would be easy for you guys to ID.

I cant wait to get out to the site again. Do the members here like to see these kinds of finds? I was a little gun shy about posting these items (thinking it was just trash). Hopefully I'll have something outstanding to post from this site in the near future. I'll be dig'n em all. :)

I have a post all policy, however good the day was, just so as everyone can get a clear picture of our (Dad & I) hunts :wink:

Its totally up to you what you decide to post. Our 'What is it' forum is probably the best on-line, so no need to ever wonder what something might be, just post it :headbang:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

wow you got a harmonica reed! I'm still trying to find one of those. congrats

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI

CRUSADER said:
GopherDaGold said:

Don't trust, I would ignore altogether. Trust only your ears, learn the tones & you will get better results.

As someone said, you have a rein guide for a horse

AMEN

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Post away! There is no junk here, only junque. I've seen more beaver tails here than any tot lot I've ever detected.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Pynchflint

I like seeing what the old homesteads give up. Its part of the story. Looks like you are on a good area as well. Keep us posted on what you find. Good luck !
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions