🥇 BANNER 1625-1649 KING CHARLES I ROYAL FARTHING Coin! CLEANED PICS ADDED

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: HI Y'all, I just CANNOT believe it I am pretty Stunned right now :o We went out digging this morning with no real sites

in mind and spent the first couple hours digging some colonial buckles and civil war items....when we decided to go

back to a spot that we have hit before and hit a couple days ago....First 5 minutes I dug a 1898 V-Nickel which is

pretty cool in its own right.......then I came across a signal hitting about +18 to +20 on the MXT and I was

debating on digging it...but as you know that old addage...DIG EVERYTHING...IT REALLY REALLY applies here

where I live because LOTS of Colonial flat buttons and flower buttons hit in that range.....SO, I popped it out and

out popped this little disc about the size of a Half-Reale....I could read the CAROLVS plan as day on it and we were

debating whether it was copper or silver as it was only hitting in the +40s when I got it out....Anyway, its copper

and its very thin and very old.... I was going to post the stuff I found yesterday which consisted of an 1852

Large Cent, a mystery copper that looks to be 1800s with Hindu writing and a wreath and these other items and I

WAS HAPPY WITH THOSE THINGS!!! Which is why this is UNBELIEVEABLE icing on the cake and after just digging that early

1700s French silver 3 days ago....

Type: 1625-1649 (Charles I) Royal Farthing
Obverse Legend: CAROLV(S) DG MAG BRI (Charles by the grace of God King of Great Britain)
Obverse: Single arched crown over two sceptres
Reverse Legend: FRA ET HIB REX (France and Ireland)

MD Pics 350.jpg
MD Pics 351.jpg
MD Pics 354.jpg
MD Pics 355.jpg
MD Pics 356.jpg

CLEANED

With dirt patina
MD Pics 358.jpg

With oil
MD Pics 363.jpg

Reverse (This back is going to clean up nice, all the detail is there, its just going to take me longer to clean the dirt
buildup off of it as this was the side facing up....It should come off after a couple days in oil
MD Pics 368.jpg
MD Pics 369.jpg

Thanks guys for looking! :-\ :hello2:

Attachments

• MD Pics 383.jpg
    MD Pics 383.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,731
Upvote 0

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 1625-1649 KING CHARLES I ROSE FARTHING Coin!

awesome piece of copper there, Sentinel!
i'd say you've well broken out of that "cold spell" you were speaking of earlier.
keep digging!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Very uncommon find in North America!

Royal Farthing, rose farthings are a little different.

Thanks IP....I saw the Rose Farthing and it had the identical face...what's the difference?

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
First two pics is the Royal. Other than design, the rose is smaller, and not usually completely round.

Cool, I actually like it better!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
First two pics is the Royal. Other than design, the rose is smaller, and not usually completely round. You got the better of the two for sure! :thumbsup:

Also, if its a Royal Farthing (with harp), then its older than the Rose farthing :icon_thumright:

PS. If you come over here, you need to listen for the broken half's of these as well. As you say, dig it all :wink:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Re: 1625-1649 KING CHARLES I ROYAL FARTHING Coin!

I found a Royal Farthing this year, but it's now in two bits :'(

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
Excellent history of these for anyone who wants to read it.

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/Br-TradeTokens.intro.html

Seen it, was just about to say they were counterfeited :wink: But this looks the real deal

Yep, no question about that and I can recognize the obvious ones, but since there's many varieties, and most dug aren't perfect, it's often hard to tell. If it says CARA it's a good indication. :wink: ;D

Sadly, I pay little attention to the varieties, as you say too many, plus they just get bagged up with all the others. I do like them though as a indicator for a possible hammered (Silver).

Sentinel,
This should be on the Banner, can you get good pictures of both sides?

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
First two pics is the Royal. Other than design, the rose is smaller, and not usually completely round. You got the better of the two for sure! :thumbsup:

Also, if its a Royal Farthing (with harp), then its older than the Rose farthing :icon_thumright:

PS. If you come over here, you need to listen for the broken half's of these as well. As you say, dig it all :wink:

Yes, I just cleaned the back and it does indeed have the harp...So what you're saying is that the Royal farthing would be toward the earlier end of the 1625-1649 time span then?

Well we know they were made inbetween this time period and if you say they are generally earlier than it is safe to say that this one is probably 1620s or 1630s I would think.....but no matter really, even if it was the latest possible date (1649) I would be JUST as happy!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

Yes, I just cleaned the back and it does indeed have the harp...So what you're saying is that the Royal farthing would be toward the earlier end of the 1625-1649 time span then?

They started before the Rose, but overlapped. Not sure how to tell an early one from a later one :-\ (I just count them as earlier)

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

They started before the Rose, but overlapped. Not sure how to tell an early one from a later one :-\ (I just count them as earlier)

Thanks Cru......Man, if this isn't a banner find for the U.S. then there ain't one......I KNOW for certain I'll probably not dig a coin again thats older than this one unless I get extremely lucky.....I mean Jamestown, the seed of America, was founded in 1607...were talking of a matter of 20 years from the founding of the American Colonies at Jamestown!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

Thanks Cru......Man, if this isn't a banner find for the U.S. then there ain't one......I KNOW for certain I'll probably not dig a coin again thats older than this one unless I get extremely lucky.....I mean Jamestown, the seed of America, was founded in 1607...were talking of a matter of 20 years from the founding of the American Colonies at Jamestown!

Exactly, my votes in. Pretty sure I read they dug these in Jamestown :icon_thumright: (yep it was in IP's link plus another source I can't remember)

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy cow !! your in a great spot there must of been something major there for that many old coins welcome to the 1625 club :notworthy: in the short time i been on TN i never seen that many old dug coins in such a short period of time that is amazing out standing find :thumbsup: that has my Banner vote !!! Dd60

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

Well they date before the trade tokens and Timekiller's made it to the banner.... eventually.

There's obviously a very old site there.... older than I've ever hunted.

very possible, due to minimal wear.
Sentinel,
Is it possible in your area to have this mid-1600s site? :dontknow:

U

umrgolf

Way to go Josh!! The J-team was very fortunate to stumble onto this site :headbang: :headbang: 4 1600's coins now and a gold posy ring.. I'd say this hammers down the fact that this site is pre-1700!! Congrats Josh, would be nice to see this one up on the banner to represent such an amazing piece of history we are dealing with here. :o :o

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf2000 said:
Way to go Josh!! The J-team was very fortunate to stumble onto this site :headbang: :headbang: 4 1600's coins now and a gold posy ring.. I'd say this hammers down the fact that this site is pre-1700!! Congrats Josh, would be nice to see this one up on the banner to represent such an amazing piece of history we are onto here. :o :o

didn't put 2 & 2 together. Great site. No disc, dig the lot.

U

umrgolf

CRUSADER said:
umrgolf2000 said:
Way to go Josh!! The J-team was very fortunate to stumble onto this site :headbang: :headbang: 4 1600's coins now and a gold posy ring.. I'd say this hammers down the fact that this site is pre-1700!! Congrats Josh, would be nice to see this one up on the banner to represent such an amazing piece of history we are onto here. :o :o

didn't put 2 & 2 together. Great site. No disc, dig the lot.

:wink: haha, no worries

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o :o :o

That's way better than the one's I have found :o great find, lets hope there is Silver Charles1 coins there :icon_thumleft:

SS

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Josh you continue to amaze me, this needs to be on the banner! Keep em coming buddy. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions