JAR OF FOREIGN COINS & MINI GOLD COINS

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
JAR OF FOREIGN COINS & MINI GOLD COINS

I went to my local club meeting tonight and they held an auction. I bidded on this jar of foreign coins. It contains 111 foregin coins, 4 miniature gold coins (approixmately 1/16" in diameter), and two rolls of 1970D uncirculated pennies. The oldest coin is 1877-Scheidemunze K-K-Oesterreichische 5/10. I also found one with a Swastika on it 1938 Reichspfennig 1.

Does anyone know anything about the miniature gold coins? When they were made or any value to them? Can anyone recommend a good book about foreign coins? I'd like to learn about the history of the coins.

Attachments

• Jar2.jpg
    Jar2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 706
  • Gold2.jpg
    Gold2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 818
  • Coins11.jpg
    Coins11.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,107
  • Coins22.jpg
    Coins22.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 2,138
  • Pennies2.jpg
    Pennies2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 623
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: JAR OF FOREIGN COINS & MINI GOLD COINS

Nice win on the foriegn coins! The golds might be replicas or even gold plated, would possibly say "COPY" on them somewhere. The Indian could be a real gold coin, is it a $1.00 coin? Not real sure. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

I looked at the gold coins closely and they do not have copy on them. So I would say they must be reproductions, and the Indian is $10.00-1933, and the other is a Liberty $20.00. I'm just wondering what they were made for, in a set or something?

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006

Pennyworth said:
I also found one with a Swastika on it 1938 Reichspfennig 1.

This is 5 Reichspfennig 1930-1938 ?

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

Nahabit, No, it is 1 Reichspfennig 1938, and there is also a D on the back of the coin on the bottom between 2 leaves. The front reads: Deuitfthes Reich( I'm not sure of the spelling of the first word,it's difficult to make out).

SWR, thank you for recommendation. I jumped over to ebay to look at foreign coins and someone mentioned the same book in their auction. So then I took a look at Amazon and located them for a decent price. I've never purchasd anything from Amazon sellers, has anyone and have you had any problems? Thanks I don't think I will be able to find it cheaper anywhere else.

Disciple, I thought they were pretty clean as well. Maybe some of them have been cleaned, I can't really tell. lol But I am intrigued by them.

S

southbound

Way to go on winning those coins!!! Intresting indeed. Vern :)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Pennyworth,
I have ordered alot through Amazon and have never had a problem and they are fast....plus you can search for a used copy and those are fine and in good shape,plus alot cheaper if you are just buying for reference material....Way to go on the coins....Can you tell us what your winning bid was???

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Pennyworth said:
Nahabit, No, it is 1 Reichspfennig 1938, and there is also a D on the back of the coin on the bottom between 2 leaves. The front reads: Deuitfthes Reich( I'm not sure of the spelling of the first word,it's difficult to make out).

Penny, guess it looks like this and follow the link down for km#89 for the value. Congrats on winning the auction!!
http://worldcoingallery.com/values/Germany.htm

Attachments

• 73-89.jpg
    73-89.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 902

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Hey Pennyworth. There are two of the large world coin books published by Krause. One is for older coins and one is for more recent coins. I believe I have both of them. They are a good reference. The prices are just a rough guide. As with anything the actual price something is worth is how much you can get someone to pay you for it. I have sold a dozen or so world coins on ebay. One went for $70(Indian coin) but most went for $1-3. All the coins I got for 15 cents each. Generally, I don't think it's worth the effort to sell them this way(individual lots). I would say that most of those world coins I sold were given a much higher value in the world coin book than what I got on ebay. By the way - I got both the books off ebay. Was a little cheaper than purchasing through amazon.

Good luck.

Bob

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

As for the "gold" coins, if they are the size I think they are, I've seen them encased in clear acrylic cubes and used as paper weights and also suspended in clear toilet seats. I guess it's supposed to make you feel like you're "flush". LOL

D

DirtPoor

Mind sharing what you paid? Foreign coins are always neat.

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003

Deuitfthes Reich = Deutches Reich (German Reign/Empire)

Old style German script is really hard to read...

pjdave

May 10, 2005

Hey Pennyworth. I attended the auction last night also. Now that I've seen the pics, I shuold have kept on bidding. There were 3 of those jars up for bid if I recall. HH

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

Stoney, that is exactly what the coin looks like, I'll check out the link. Thank you :)

Gypsy, I checked ebay but the prices were high on the books. I found some listed on Amazon very reasonably priced. I think I'll buy one later today. Thanks for letting me know you haven't had any problems buying from there.

Pjdave, yes you are correct there were 3 jars up for auction and I finally got the third jar, was outbidded on the first two jars by a few dollars. I paid $28.00 for the jar and I think the other 2 jars went for $27, and $28 each. I did get some duplicate coins,so I'll have some to trade.

UPDATE: I went to a coin shop to buy some 2X2 cardboard flips for my coins so I took the tiny gold coins in to find out something about them. It turns out that one in indeed a real gold coin worth $10.00, the other 3 are just pot metal with some gold overlay.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

stoney56 said:
As for the "gold" coins, if they are the size I think they are, I've seen them encased in clear acrylic cubes and used as paper weights and also suspended in clear toilet seats. I guess it's supposed to make you feel like you're "flush". LOL
YOU ARE A KNUCKLEHEAD STONEY,too much.....keep em' coming.LOL....Great job pennyworth and good luck sorting everything out.HH!!!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

I've seen the mini gold coins in one of my local coin shops and they retail for about 10-15 bucks. Pretty much a novelty item, even if they are solid. Neat to look at though! One of these days (I keep hoping) a real one will pop up out of the ground.... :)

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Pennyworth,

Great buy.... I see you have some coins from my country South Africa? I see a couple of R5, R2, 50c, 2c? and a few Zimbabwe...... Coins tell a big story about the country of origen, including history, animals of the land and cultures. If you study them carefully, you will learn a lot.

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread