mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the "new to me" v3i out to my grandpa's back yard for a little testing and getting familiar with each other. Boy, lots more going on than my trusty MXT. Will be a learning curve for sure. Struck my second silver coin ever on the 3rd dig. Wish it was a little cooler, less humid so I could get out some more. Was only able to take it for about an hour and a half.

v3ifirstouting.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

Upvote 0

easttndigger

Mar 25, 2010
Kingsport ,TN
Detector(s) used
Whites vision, MXT
The V3 is a great machine i had a dfx previously when i switched over there was alot of frustration and agony........there is a huge learning curve but once you figure it out it is a deadly machine....one of my dealer buddies refers people to me to help them out a little with the rough edges im no master but i can get out and dig with the best of them now dont get frustrated if you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected] id be happy to chat with you and steer you in the right direction

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good to find silver on the 1st day out, and a quarter even... My friend has had one for about a year and is impressed with it. He thinks finding rings are going to set this one apart from others.

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Full Time RVer based in TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
easttndigger said:
The V3 is a great machine i had a dfx previously when i switched over there was alot of frustration and agony........there is a huge learning curve but once you figure it out it is a deadly machine....one of my dealer buddies refers people to me to help them out a little with the rough edges im no master but i can get out and dig with the best of them now dont get frustrated if you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected] id be happy to chat with you and steer you in the right direction

Just interested, what are the biggest learning curves??

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aussie Okie said:
easttndigger said:

Just interested, what are the biggest learning curves??
I think the biggest challenge is finding out what tweaks or custom programs you can run. Expect to be going over the manual, and the V3 area on TN. At the top of the TN page click on the Whites logo, selct forum, and go into the V3 area as well as the Programs area. Robert and DeOlslyfox have created some custom programs. You just start with the stock Coin and Jewelry, make their changes, and you can save the program with it's own name. Be sure the read the shortcuts by Carl. They are a huge help. I feel like Fox's Coin and Jewelry should have been the configuration for the stock one because it is that good. I also change my analyze option to the Polar Plot and feel it is far more useful in identifying trash than the camel hump display.

OP
OP
mighty_mace

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've changed my settings to polar plot for the next outing to give it a try. Just lots more customization of the v3i compared to my mxt. Lots to learn about. Been using fox's c&j program from whites forum.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only lasted about 90 today too.

Very Nice on the Quarter Mike !
Keep that up you'll have the V3 paid off in no time :wink:

OP
OP
mighty_mace

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff, I'm stoppin at rodichoks to ask for permission some time this week. Hope the heat backs off a little.

Doubtful their is enough quarters at my pap's but fingers crossed ;D

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what areas or conditions you are hunting. You may want to consider buying a 6x10 Eclipse coil in addition to the stock D2. I have it, the 4x6, and the 300 (12 inch) and I use the 6x10 most. The 4x6 is outstanding in super trashy areas and the 6x10 isn't far behind. Whether you get one used or new make sure it is V rated. It should have a V stamped on the mounting ears.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a V3 (no upgrade to the "i" yet) and I have found plenty of things that were missed by other detectors. It is super sensitive to small deep targets, especially old buttons. I have found more buttons with it than I have ever found with my previous detectors.

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
I would like to get together with you one of these days to compare them on targets, I. debating wether to pay the 100$ upgrade fee or not, btw I missed their cut off date by under 2 weeks :(

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff741972 said:
I would like to get together with you one of these days to compare them on targets, I. debating wether to pay the 100$ upgrade fee or not, btw I missed their cut off date by under 2 weeks :(

You should give them a call. If you promise not to brag about it on the forums they may extend it two weeks earlier for you!

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having used both V3 and V3i I honestly think it's worth the $100 for the upgrade. I really like the new Polar Plot Analysis screen in place of the Sizing Screen. It generally seems more stable. I was at the other end of the timeline that bought a V3 only to mail it back in after 2 weeks for the upgrade. It was $25 service charge plus about $10 for my shipping cost to Whites.

OP
OP
mighty_mace

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff741972 I'd be more than happy to meet up......you up to anything this weekend?

I'm "diggin" this detector the more I play around with it......I'm running the 6x9 coil (non v rated) and have no issues I'm aware of yet. Fox, over on the Whites forum suggested I give it a try before selling it for the v rated version. Doesn't seem to be an issue as of yet (knock on wood)

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
lately Ive been like super busy with work, maybe saturday if I get back. If that coil is working then I guess there isnt an issue :dontknow: I use the stock coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions