Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost 1850's Home site finds

What is nice about this old site is, it's not far from where I live but also is on one of the early 1850's maps I have and not on the 1869 .....which tells me the finds should be very old.....But that was not the case , knowing where the house was I started detecting along the road area and within 10 minutes find a 1800's fat boy indian head penny....Those are the early thick Indians. Now as I continued I noticed a flat area ahead and headed in that direction , suddenly getting a good not so deep hit as I dug the hole I noticed a coin in the plug, as I looked at the coin and rubbed the dirt off it was a "v" nickle , so I checked again the hole and got another hit out came another and then another , 3 Liberty head nickles..now I'm saying to my self this site should not have these coins since the house was gone in1869....acording to the map...So I just continued and found next a flat button and a few more pieces of junk iron ..then found at about 6 inches another Indian head but this one was one of the worst I have ever seen ...you could barely see the wreaths of the reverse....

Now with the rain starting to move in I hurried and found a couple more coin including an Indian head nickle or buffalo nickle. ....Now it is really starting to rain hard so made my way back to the truck and feeling good that I had the chance to get out with all the snow gone and the temperature starting to go up ....Looking froward to sundays once again!!!! Enjoy :)

Attachments

• Hunters creek 3-10-06 003 Medium Web view.jpg
    Hunters creek 3-10-06 003 Medium Web view.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 351
  • Hunters creek 3-10-06 006 Medium Web view.jpg
    Hunters creek 3-10-06 006 Medium Web view.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 360
  • Hunters creek 3-10-06 007 Medium Web view.jpg
    Hunters creek 3-10-06 007 Medium Web view.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Hunters creek 3-10-06 008 Medium Web view.jpg
    Hunters creek 3-10-06 008 Medium Web view.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
Re: Lost 1850's Home site finds

WOw -- sounds like a fun site -- hope the silver comes out a lot better than those indians -- great finds!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

What is a little rain...get back out there!!! LOL.....Those nickels are great and once again you lead the pack in finding cool stuff! I would say "Good Luck"tomorrow ,but I know you wont need it!

S

southbound

Great finds! Hit that place HARD! Vern :)

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Excellent finds Seeker! Nice triple nickel score!

HH!
TBGO

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've done the same thing. You find a site that should produce seated and shield nickels and all you find are the pesky V nickels and Barbers. ;D
Those are some nice coins though. Keep looking. There should be some other good stuff there.
Looks like you know what you are doing in trying to determine exactly where the house stood. They are not always as obvious as you might think. Try detecting some of the fringe areas.
Good Luck!

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida

Great old pieces of history there.

We will be interested to see the other relics and coins you find.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You did it again, Seek. ;) They either overlooked the house in 1869 or nobody live there in 1869. ???

Those coins look like the ones that I find. There's no hope! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread