Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Lightning Strikes! Again!

Lightning Strikes! Again!

Hello Summer! The Heat! The Humidity! The persistence of thunderstorms and rain and LIGHTNING! Some weather conditions are just NOT conducive to metal detecting. I’m usually not one to shy away from a bit of dampness, be it in the form of precipitation or perspiration. I do draw the line at being out in an open field swinging an electrically charged metal pole during a thunderstorm with lightning flashing everywhere trying to get from the sky to the ground... THROUGH ME! I’ve not really been in the position to have to seek shelter this year... so far... but I have put off doing some or any detecting several times due to inclement weather. Better safe than sorry if you know what I mean. That’s not to say that I’ve not been out in the damp though. I’ve been drizzled on , rained on and of course perspired a great deal so far this year. My clothes and equipment might have been dampened, but not my spirit. I try to work in a little detecting whenever I can manage a few minutes here and there. It makes for a few short hunts rather than one long one, but sometimes the short hunts can be nearly as productive if not more so than the “long” hunts. Today was a perfect example.
After spending the majority of the day with my wife sitting in the hospital and transporting my mother in law to and from an eye surgery, I found myself with about an hour of free time late this afternoon. Even though it was steamy hot with humidity outside I decided to grab my detector and hit one of my favorite parks for a while. I guess the recent rainfall (late this morning) and the heat and humidity were keeping most of the regular park goers indoors today because I pretty much had the park to myself. I chose one of the many soccer fields at the park and began hunting along the outside edges of the field where people would sit to watch a game. It wasn’t long before I was finding coins. I found the usual suspects as well of course, pull tabs, can slaw, foil and other bits of scrap metal. I also found a nice big ring! Silver! One “nickel” range target signal turned out to be a nice sized (11) mans silver ring strung onto a beaded choker. While neither item would be very expensive I’m sure, it’s still fun to find silver once in a while. The ring made my day! Of course the couple of dollars in clad didn’t hurt my feelings either. It all went into my finds bag along with all the finds from two or three other little “mini-hunts” from this weekend. An hour here, fifteen minutes there, another half hour over there... Just long enough to scratch that itch, but not long enough to detract too much from a busy day or tire one out. Thanks to other obligations, errands, and mother nature this weekend all I could manage were a few “minis”. Oh but you KNOW they paid off! And I’m not just talking a few pounds of coins either, although that’s nice too. This hobby is as much an addiction as it is a pastime, at least for me anyway. So I got my fix a few times this weekend, with an interesting collection of finds.
I started the weekend at a large local park where the community puts on a free showing of recently first run movies outdoors for kids and families. Everyone brings a blanket, or lawn chairs and spreads out on a hillside to watch the movie. Vendors and promoters sell food and trinkets and have games and give-aways to the kids in attendance as well. I try to make it over there on Saturday mornings after the previous nights showing. Hey! You know! Clean up a little bit behind the crowds. A little coin, sometimes a surprise here and there like jewelry or cell phones or who knows what. Last week it was over five pairs of sunglasses, this week it was those shaped rubber bands that the kids wear as bracelets. Pens, pencils toys... I had a late start Saturday because it RAINED overnight and was still raining in the morning when I would normally go to beat the heat. Oh well, I’ve already covered the heat and weather. The movie hill hunt was abbreviated as it began to rain, again, while I was hunting. One boom and thunder and I was out of there! Sunday I took in a couple of grade school playgrounds in the morning, and one more in the evening. All short hunts... but they added up. And then there was today at the Soccer Park. Yeah, when I found the ring I figured my day was pretty well done and headed for home. I had to cook dinner yet for myself, my wife and our houseguest for the evening my mother in law. She’s staying with us for the night and my wife is taking her to the follow up exam in the morning. Corneal transplants (her second one in two years... first one eye now this one.) Anyway, I got home and cleaned up a little, started dinner and then showered to rid myself of some “dampness” from the humidity I mentioned earlier. With dinner on cooking , I emptied out my finds bag finally and sorted through my treasures from this weekend and today. Here’s what I found...
The usual suspects...

Pulls.JPG

More plastics and eyeball finds ... including one scalpel ???

Plastics.JPG

I found some hardware along the way, like...

Hardware.JPG

I got lucky with finding a single wheat penny (circa 1957) and a lone Chuck E. Cheese Token...

Token Wheat.JPG

There were the toys and... well... “Stuff”...

Stuff.JPG

Did I mention I found some BLING? Two cheapy earrings, one wooden beaded childs bracelet, and one hefty Silver ring on a beaded choker...

Bling.JPG

...OH... and the ring *IS* Silver ! Don’t know what the “AE” stands for though...

RingProof.JPG

And... a few pounds of coins as well. $14.56 to be precise...

Clad.JPG

That more than covered my gas for my wanderings this weekend. Another healthy donation to the vacation fund. Even if my wife thought the silver ring was ugly, I liked it. The design on the ring isn’t really a lightning bolt, but I kind of thought of it that way. As for Striking again... well, I’ve found several rings at this park so far this year, this was just the latest... another STRIKE so to speak. “Strike”? Stroke? Whatever, it’s a blast finding stuff like that, as well as finding coins. You gotta love a hobby that pays you to have fun! I hope everyone out there gets to get out and have a little fun yourselves soon. As always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Lightning Strikes! Again!

that scapel is exactly what we used in the OR room, they came in the C-section packs! Dangerously sharp, glad a kid did not find that!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

Goes4ever said:
that scapel is exactly what we used in the OR room, they came in the C-section packs! Dangerously sharp, glad a kid did not find that!

I found it at an ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PLAYGROUND !!! Some kid already found it... and lost it!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

glad u did, you might have saved from kid from cutting off his finger, or someone elses! Be careful that is SURGICALLY sharp!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Frodov ! Nice finds and field report , you have some rather productive areas there , and
they just keep re-loading . I'd sure like to see your silver ring cleaned up and polished a bit ,
if you can manage another pic of it all gussied up , I would be grateful ! Argentium.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

i get pissed evrytime i find a chucky cheese token! sorry but as a matter of fact i got mad just veiwing this one. :-\ sorry to be a poor sport just being honest. willy

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

dfx willy said:
i get pissed evrytime i find a chucky cheese token! sorry but as a matter of fact i got mad just veiwing this one. :-\ sorry to be a poor sport just being honest. willy

Sorry dude... sounds like there's some bad blood between you and Chuck E. A story perhaps? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in hearing it.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

gxray

Jan 30, 2009

I believe the "plumbing part" in the 3rd pic might be the bowl and stem to a bong (marijuana water pipe)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

You sir are my HERO!!!!!!! That Zipper Pull is MINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Oh yeah that is the standard scalpel used today in almost any healthcare setting. With Multi-drug resistant organisms it is safer to use the scalpel once and toss it rather than try and sterilize it. Also some of the chemicals used for sterilization are pretty aggressive and are closely regulated by the EPA. Good job on your finds.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another interesting set of finds and a great story Fro, or should I say author Fro. I guess you are just lucky.

I wrote a song once that I think some of the lyric fits you perfect Fro:

Good Luck by Terry M. 1990

My momma said you're lucky you're alive
cause she never knew that babies bounced.. that.. high.

If you think you're lucky
you better not find out
cause you've been struck by lightening
and now there's clouds about.

SKD [chuckling]

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds. I'm thinking the AE in the circle is a makers mark. The closest I could find is a silversmith from Mexico but she usually has the AE in a heart.

I too have some Mexican silver jewelry with the initials AE in a heart. According to the recent book on Spratling and the Maestros de Plata, this mark was used by Estella Popowski who worked with Antonio Castillo and other well know Mexican designers.One of my pieces, a curved silver leaf with amethysts and moonstones, closely resembles a piece I have seen by Antonio Castillo. It is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. I too would be interested in any further information anyone may have about this mark.
I saw a bracelet on the website 'The Lush Life' that says AE in a heart is the mark of Abraham Paz, which is confusing to me.

How can AE be the mark of EP?...Estella Popowski? This is completely baffling. Anyone out there know about this??

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

that is in fact a gutter nail you found as well. The item directly above that is a part of a chain that would be on a bike, motorcycle or possible a drive chain for a lawnmower.

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Great read and those are some nice finds... Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

gxray said:
I believe the "plumbing part" in the 3rd pic might be the bowl and stem to a bong (marijuana water pipe)

You know... now that you've mentioned it, that plumbing does look like it's been burned a bit. Hmmm... Just never know what you're going to dig up do you? <shaking head> Sad really. Oh well, there are other finds waiting to be dug up out there.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

mastereagle22 said:
that is in fact a gutter nail you found as well. The item directly above that is a part of a chain that would be on a bike, motorcycle or possible a drive chain for a lawnmower.

You are correct on the gutter nail sir !!! However... that "chain" link you pointed out is actually, and I'm aware it doesn't show in the picture, bent at nearly a 45 degree angle. This little doohicky is actually a line tensioner for say a tent or awning tie down. The line is attached to the tent or awning, then passed through one hole. Then the line is passed back through the second hole and knotted off so that it can't go back through, creating a loop. The loop is slipped around an anchor or stake then the "clip" is slid up the line till the line becomes taught. I'll take a better picture next time. I promise. <smile>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You always do greeeeat Frod..cool beans on the moola and nice silver ring too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread