My find for today. Diamond or A Fake??????

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Found this today at a park near my house. The setting is 925 silver, but I have no idea if this is real or just a fake diamond. Was buried in about 4 inches of dirt. Did not have to clean it up much, just washed it off with water to get some dirt out of it. Will take it to a jeweler friend of mine to have it checked out. The wife said even if its not a real diamond she would like to have it made into some kind of jewelry for herself.. Anyways here are the pics. See what you think. Shane

Attachments

• #1.JPG
    #1.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 909
  • #2.JPG
    #2.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 910
  • #3.JPG
    #3.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 908
  • #4.JPG
    #4.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 895
Upvote 0

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks good! Congrats! :hello2:

In my experience silver setting generally means not real .. but you never know. Good luck!

HH Joe

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500GTI/Minelab Explorer SE
I have seen a few diamonds set in silver. I am going to guess fake based on the look of the cut and what look like scuffs/wear on the stone.

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer
Dang,

I found it's twin down here at a tot lot yesterday... Don't think mine was real either.

Semper Fi

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally when it is in silver the diamond is man made. But still cool find. Take silver any day....Matt

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think it's real unfortunately. I found one exactly just like it but mine had the post attached to it. It appears to be a piereced earring. The stone on mine is identical size as yours and the mounting as well. I wish the best for ya though.

WTG

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Usually those piercing studs have Swarovsky crystal bead in them set in silver. Have it checked though.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree. It doesn't look like an authentic Diamond.
Usually, if it looks "too clear" it usually IS an AUTHENTIC zirconia :D

A sure way to tell is to take it to a jeweler. They have diamond testers and will tell you for free if it is or not. Usually, they can just look at it and tell you.
Good luck

Skelly607

Bronze Member
May 5, 2010
Danville Va.
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO M6 Ace 250
One way to rule it down some is,,,,,,,do you have an old piece of glass laying around? Try scratching it with the stone.

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find, if it is set in silver it is most likely not a real diamond, silver is generally much softer than white gold so check that. also if you can look at it with a 10 x magnification , diamonds are the only stone (that I know of) that will keep a sharp edge on the facet junctions over time. CZ, white sapphire, moisanite ect. will all have slightly rounded facet junctions over time.The scratching glass doesnt usually work because many other stones will scratch glass , but it will rule out it being glass I hope this helps.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Skelly607 said:
One way to rule it down some is,,,,,,,do you have an old piece of glass laying around? Try scratching it with the stone.
Won't work with cubic zirconium: nearly as hard as diamond. The real key as I understand it is looking underneath the stone: if there is brilliance, it is likely diamond, which refracts light from the top and the bottom. If brillian only from the top, then likely cubic zirconium.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woooooo-Hooooooo Shane! Congrats on the rock. Hopefully it is the real deal. There are real diamonds set in silver; actually, I've seen real diamonds set in stainless steel rings. Let us know when you find out. :thumbsup: Breezie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions